Tuesday, June 14, 2011

As Father's Day Nears

With Father’s Day approaching this weekend, I appreciated an e-mail I got recently from my eldest son Greg. Under the subject heading ‘Your Job Is Done’ he asked, “I’ll bet that’s how you feel, right? I know I would.” He was saying that because his brother had just graduated from college and had accepted a job out east.

I’m not sure the job of a father is ever really done, at least the worrying part, but with Scott poised to begin life on his own I can at least take a deep breath.

Now I can witness as Greg finds out firsthand what fatherhood is all about. And it seems like his son Grant is going through a sensitive phase right now at four months plus. At least with me. If I as much as frown in his direction or raise my voice a decibel above Mr. Rogers from Mr. Rogers neighborhood it throws the little guy into a lengthy crying spell.

Grandma Wendy does much better with Grant than I do. So it was funny this past Saturday when Wendy had to leave while babysitting the little guy, leaving him with me and Uncle Scott. Grant and Scott actually get along pretty well but Scott’s nervous watching him without an experienced caretaker present. And I'm not sure Scott thinks I qualify.

Not more than a few minutes after Wendy left, Greg called.

“Let me talk to mom,” he said

“She’s not here,” I said, explaining how she had gone to her sister’s. I could sense a little bit of concern growing in Greg’s voice as he asked how Grant was doing with just his uncle and grandpa there. I passed the question along to Scott who was trying to keep Grant entertained in his little bouncy chair.

“I don’t know,” Scott replied and I passed that along to Greg.

“I’ll be there in 30 minutes,” Greg responded, the time it would take to get from his own hometown to where we were.

Happy Father’s Day, Greg. Heh, heh. The first of many to come.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Among humans there can definitely be "father hens" too.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

JAN--Don't think that's true among chickens though, is it? I've never seen a rooster help out much with the baby chicks. I've seen male ducks and geese help gather up the little ones.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

don't know-I think my son-in-law rather likes it when he sees my husband taking over the boys Dave!

5:11 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--Maybe when Grant grows up a little bit. Then grandpa's shenanigans will be more welcome in the family.

3:49 AM  
Blogger CiCi said...

You crack me up. You are having fun watching your son with his son. Lots more years for watching, huh. It was a miraculous day when one of my daughter's said they understood so much more now that they had kids of their own. Whew. Hard work and the parent work is never done.

Hope you have a wonderful Fathers Day.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

TECHNOBABE--Thanks. I'm spending at least part of my Father's Day weekend browsing through some old photos I plan to put into a photo book (free offer). It sure brings back memories of raising my boys.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ I hope your Father's Day was a Happy day and also Greg's first of many. It sounds like he is a great Dad, so you must have done something right. With both your sons.
Thanks for your comments, It was really great seeing Peter and Vicki.
They are stranded in Victoria because of more Chilean volcanic ash. I suggested they come back here for a couple of days. That would be great.
And Yes, I think most barbeques have shrimp on them. I don't like them, but most do. Glad you liked the joke of the guy and the lady in the attic. I don't know if
Tim Hortons do have senior discount, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Take care, Regards, Merle.

3:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home