Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Is This Legal?



Check this out. I found it when I was cleaning out a storage area in the basement underneath the stairs. Wait, let me zoom in so that you can focus in on what had me curious.




I thought all lead-based paints were supposed to be verboten. When I had an advance technician checking our house prior to the arrival of carpet installers he was looking in particular for any evidence of lead-based paint in our modest two-story home.

Good thing he didn't check under the stairs in the basement. But I'm not sure this can has even been opened. It could have been here when we moved in almost 20 years ago. So can I be held responsible if it's a pre-existing condition? Didn't Obama change that last year?

So how to get rid of it. We can dispose of dangerous household chemicals by taking them to a special drop-off at the local landfill. But not latex paint as you can just mix whatever's left in the can with sawdust and throw it away with the rest of your garbage. Wonder if that includes lead-based lacquer.

Speaking of souvenirs from the previous owners, I'm trying to dispose of their gas grill that has sat unused in our backyard since we've moved in. Never used it. It's only use is as a home for bees and wasps. I'd like to get rid of it but it's attached to a natural gas line that runs underground and into our home. In otherwords, beyond my area of expertise.

I called the gas company but they weren't too helpful. After transfering me to another line, the lady there asked if the homeowner was deceased or bankrupt. No! Then she said they had transfered me to the wrong place. Makes me feel really confident I'm going to get a helpful answer on how to remove an outdoor gas grill without blowing up the neighborhood if they can't handle a simple phone network.

Eventually I got someone who thought he knew the answer. He even checked with a co-worker to make sure. So what am I supposed to do? Call a plumber!

Let me close this week with a couple recent pictures. My father is breaking in his new camera and is posting some of his efforts on his Facebook page, when he can get the photos to upload. He liked this one he took of a double rainbow up north near Hubbard Lake.



And following in the like-father-like-son theme, here is a picture I took Sunday of who else but my one and only grandson. We celebrated Mother's Day at a local pub but Grant's looking a little glum. Maybe he was hoping for a live band. He does enjoy music, even at three months.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Double rainbow all the way!! Wow, so intense.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Since the can has been there for 20 years, I say it has squatters' rights to remain unmolested for as long as it wants. You are the recent interloper no matter who pays the mortgage.

7:27 PM  
Blogger CiCi said...

That can of paint must be from the forties? Hold onto it and in a few years it will be a collectors item.

The last place I owned I had a plumber set a gas line for my outdoor gas barbecue. Do you not use a gas barbecue? If you want the line capped off a plumber is the answer.

Gads, three months old already? Nice to see the picture.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ANONYMOUS--And it probably was doubly intense to see it in person.

JAN--Could leave the can there, but I've got a ton of paint cans under there . . . somebody's got to go.

TECHNOBABE--Interesting suggestion. Just for the heck of it, I looked up Lucite at the E-Bay site but it just returned sales of Lucite purses.

I love to grill but only in my Weber's. Never used gas, propane or anything else.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I'd wonder where to dispose of that can myself Dave. Have you called the trash department?

11:42 AM  
Blogger B.S. said...

Lead-based paint is still alive and well, legal and available for sale. Those painted lines marking roads and parking lots are painted with government-approved lead-based paint. Fire hydrants and other outdoor structures are painted with lead. (Too bad the lead cracks and flakes, making it easy to track it into our houses on our shoes. I can't explain why the government thinks that's OK.)

Your Lucite can is considered hazardous waste and is not in the same category as latex paint. It is supposed to be bagged in plastic and labeled and taken to a dump. It costs money to dispose of it, and that's one of the reasons why lead abatement is so expensive.

Did you know that lead-based paint was never used in Europe? Its neurotoxicity was always known. (Remember the Mad Hatter? Lead was used in hat making.) Yet the U.S. government saw fit to allow it, even for house paint, until scientists raised hell over it in 1978. And it's still allowed for road lines and parking lot lines and outdoor structures!

Hugs,
Betty

10:50 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--No, haven't called the trash department. I agree with Betty here though who says it probably qualifies as hazardous chemicals and should be disposed of accordingly.

B.S.--You sure know your lead paint. I had no idea they still used that stuff. From my conversation with the carpet technician, it sounded like they were going to come out in haz-mat suits if they encountered any in our house.

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ I have tried to wish you a Happy Birthday o the top post, so will now try here. I hope you have a wonderful day my friend with a few presents and a few surprises (maybe
baby-sitting Grant when he is not happy) and not an Elephant in sight.
I am 77 today and for a while it didn't look like I would make it.
So every day is a bonus for me.
Take care, Very Best Wishes and again, Happy Birthday. Merle.

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home