Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Trunk Treasures


I dragged my old trunk of personal memorabilia out of the closet this past week. I wanted to see if there was room for more. There was, especially since I pulled some of Wendy's stuff out of there. She can get her own trunk.


One of the first things that caught my eye was this post card from a college buddy of mine. Our mutual interest in chess is what brought us together initially. Our friendship has continued to the present day though we haven't played chess in decades. This post card documenting his latest move in our correspondence chess friendly is almost 30 years old. Chris mentions that he likes our new baby (Greg is 28 years old now with a "kid" of his own).

Chris has three grown children of his own though not with the wife mentioned in his signature line. They divorced.


This is a Beatles coin commemorating their trip to America in 1964. I have no idea where it came from or how it got into my trunk. Didn't know I had it. I do like surprises like this though.


Here's the oldest thing in my trunk, a card announcing funeral arrangements for my wife's grandmother. Note, no zip code. Also note the price of the stamp. One cent! Oh how prices have gone up since 1934.


Yes, this is my baby book. Browsing quickly through it, I learn that I got my first tooth on December 1. There's not much else in here though. Getting my first tooth was obviously one of the more key milestones worth noting.


Ah, now here is a true treasure. This is the Ann Arbor News edition published after Michigan beat MSU in a triple overtime football game back in 2004. I watched the game with a bunch of my nephew's friends at his bachelor party in Bay City. Memorable day, made all the more so since my nephew is a Spartan fan ; )


Here's a handmade birthday card from my son Scott. I should have put a date on this but it's evidently from a long, long time ago. Reminds me that Scott had a job interview today; some outfit flew him into Virginia from New York so it sounds serious. He even had to do a writing assessment. Hopefully, his spelling has improved though really he only misspelled one word here.


Though all this has sentimental value, I doubt that it has any real value. But I still have to caution any potential future heirs not to just throw it out when I pass away. According to E-Bay, that Beatles coin is worth a couple bucks in itself. That Ann Arbor News newspaper should be worth at least that much.

13 Comments:

Blogger Lynilu said...

It's fun to go through treasure boxes. I always find a thing or two that I don't remember the origin of, too. In fact, this week I will be going through a file cabinet in attempt to empty it and make more floor space available. I'm guessing the things in it will be going into a trunk. Then i a couple years I will be going through the trunk and not remembering something else!

7:31 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

I get the idea that being around Spartan fans during those moments of glory (may they come more often) gives added meaning to your life.

I never got the thing about first teeth. I mean, are there a lot of children who never get any?

8:20 PM  
Blogger CiCi said...

Did you get a trunk for Wendy's mementos? I have a box of things I have lugged around for years and lots are things my kids made for me. I like the post card from your friend who is still your friend. The one cent stamp is amazing. And no zip code, I can't remember when the zip code thing started but obviously in my lifetime. Do you still send snail mail? I wonder if the post office appreciates the snail mail tag.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LYNILU--Floor space? I've heard of the concept but vacant floor space is not to be found at our house. Our basement and garage need de-cluttering very badly.

JAN--My boss here is very much a Spartan fan and there's nothing I like better than confronting him after we beat our rivals. And, yes, may that happen more often.

TECHNOBABE--I told Wendy we need to get her a trunk for her old stuff. She's not the pack rat I am, however. She has a couple small jewelry sized boxes--that's fine for her.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

what a wonderful surprise Dave and they are definitely treasures on so many levels. thank you for sharing it with all of us.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--You're welcome. There was plenty of stuff in that trunk. Hard to figure out what to share.

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Enforcer said...

You know that Beatles coin is Wendy's, give it back!

5:44 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ENFORCER--Yeah, I probably should ask her.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That newspaper is a collectors item. It depicts one of the last years they were any good. Truly a fossil.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Love that card.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ANONYMOUS--Fossil??!! There's no yellowing or brittleness? It's almost as if it'd happened yesterday.

ISABELLE--Kids are sweet when they're young, that's for sure.

3:52 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Oh! My! Once you start on something like that, you get lost and the hours just disappear!!!

Great post, Dave!

7:16 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LEE--Very true. And I didn't even go through half of what was in there.

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home