Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Boycott Will Ferrell!



My two sons saw Will Ferrell’s "Funny or Die" comedy concert at Michigan State University’s Breslin Center last week. The Saturday Night Live alum is doing a series of these concerts at selected colleges across the country to promote his upcoming movie Semi-Pro.

So Breslin was packed to the rafters. More kids piled in there than at a University of Michigan/MSU basketball game and just as enthusiastic as Ferrell was introduced to great fanfare and drum roll. He emerged into the spotlight wearing . . . a University of Michigan shirt.

My to-die-for fav university! And this at MSU no less. All right!! But, let me quote my older son Greg on what happened after that:

"I was yelling so loud, one of the few in my section who wasn't booing at the top of his lungs. Then he rips (the shirt) off and throws it into the crowd and reveals his MSU sweatshirt. The crowd went absolutely nuts! Later on in the show, they had an actor run on stage with a Michigan helmet and jersey. Ferrell of course tackles him and kicks the crap out of him. Again, the crowd went crazy."

What’s the deal? Ferrell engaging is slapstick shtick bashing Michigan? Twice in one concert??! Did the writer’s strike have something to do with this absolute lack of creativity?

OK, so I was going to let it go at that. Afterall, a U of M football player getting pummeled there at Michigan State is something their current crop of kids haven’t even seen. But then I wondered. Ferrell’s next stop on his tour was Michigan’s arch-nemesis Ohio State. Do ya think . . . ?

Here’s what saw in a Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch article: "Ferrell began the two-hour show by walking on stage wearing a Michigan sweatshirt. At the sound of hisses and boos, Ferrell ripped it off, revealing an Ohio State sweatshirt and proceeded to desecrate the Wolverines garb with many a stomp. "

Later, even OSU President Gordon Gee got in the act, participating in an interview with Ferrell, in character now as his anchorman character Ron Burgundy. Burgundy says to the OSU president, "Gordon, I forgot how fun you are. What do you say we get a bucket load of Valium and some fried chicken, just go to Michigan and start punching people?"

All right! Enough is enough. I’m announcing today a boycott of Will Ferrell. In addition, I’m writing my state representative asking him to introduce legislation to make University of Michigan bashing a hate crime punishable by life imprisonment (we don’t have the death penalty in Michigan).

This law will be made retro-active to January, so we can swear out warrants for both the OSU president and Ferrell. All copies of the movie Semi-Pro will be confiscated as evidence. (I watch Judge Judy on afternoon TV so I know this can be done.)

Ferrell may have done some funny things in his SNL comedy career--that more-cowbell thing was kinda funny--but his post-SNL movie career has been spent playing borderline mentally challenged oafs with little wit. I don’t think moviegoers will miss him as he spends time behind bars here in the Great Lakes State. Go Blue!

18 Comments:

Blogger Nankin said...

I can't say I blame you. Tacky is TACKY regardless of who it comes from.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I've never liked the guy-can I vote by proxy?

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave's Dad here
Hey Dave! that guy is a dead ringer for you,wow isn,t that something.
Even your mother thought he looks like you.
Dad

4:30 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

Where can I buy a Will Ferrell poster and how do I join his fan club?!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Might we not be just a teeny bit touchy?

5:42 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave, your dad says that you look like him, now what are we going to do?

6:52 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

I can understand arresting him for his poor taste regarding U of M, but you can't get the OSU president for doing part of his job description! I do think that a Michigan boycott would be a good thing, after all, the state is depressed enough without people taking your money for insulting you.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

DAD,LUCY--My wife says our smiles look similar, but don't start any rumors. I certainly don't have a 'fro.
BABETTE--How about a "Meet The Spartans" poster? http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/moviegoodsusa-store_1984_9498611
KACEY--I read that Ohio State paid for students to get in free so they could hear Ferrell bashing Michigan. So the OSU president has to bear some guilt there.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought he was a little too goofy for my taste.

You wanna see bashing? Come hear the Horns and the Aggies rant about each other.

Hook em' Horns!

10:22 AM  
Blogger MSU gal said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:35 AM  
Blogger MSU gal said...

Any word on Will Farrell appearing on the "hallowed grounds" of Michigan anytime soon? One has to wonder if he would come out on the U of M stage wearing an Appalachian State jersey.

Sorry Brother Dave--no more A.S. comments...I promise!

10:50 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Aw, that's just one loser rooting for two others. Let it pass.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Blog, how isn't that funny???? That is true comic genius at work.

What if the event was held in 'the toilet bowl' that is Chrysler Arena and he came out bashing MSU/OSU. I bet you would be writing about how brilliant Will is.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

Will Ferrell has already outlived the average comedy life of any Saturday Night Live alumnus.

The only one from SNL that actually has had a career in comedy is Eddie Murphy. The rest of them pretty much burned out after a couple of movies. Can you stand to see Dan Akroyd ever again? Chevy Chase? Corky Romano? Bill Murray?

If you count Steve Martin as SNL, then that's two successful comedy movie careers. Will Ferrell is #3 and he is looking at the down-side of being funny.

Any day now the hammer will drop and like Robin Williams and Jim Carrey, everyone will realize they are not funny anymore. So you may have the last laugh when Ferrell is working at the U of Michigan Book Shop selling tutoring materials. (OK, that is somewhat unlikely unless he goes through a Britney Spears phase and ends up in a court-ordered community service program)

11:58 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

See Big Jim... you DO NEED the death penalty there. But like the late Johnny Cochran would say; "If the Sweatshirt don't fit... YOU musn't throw a fit!" Or something like that! ~ jb///

2:44 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I like your Dad! Now that is a man with a great sense of Midwest humor. So you have a smile like Ol' Will! I'll be darned.

7:23 PM  
Blogger 2bme said...

Hey Dave - its been awhile....Did you guys actually PAY to see that???

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I recall I joined your two sons along to this comedy showcase. Thanks for mentioning me!!

NERD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home