Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Is It Spring Yet?

Got an e-mail from my dad recently. It read in part:

"I like going to your site map on your blog once in awhile. There is one location that shows Riga, Michigan. It comes up a lot lately. I wonder who that is; I thought maybe they are snowed in and that gives them something to do. Riga is in the Upper Peninsula."

I had to tell him that Riga was me. Verizon had moved my IP address location again, this time from Richmond, Indiana to Riga, Michigan. I know Michigan winters are bad, particularly in the Upper Peninsula, but snow and cold so bad that people are forced to hang out at my blog here? That's an extreme case of cabin fever.

Everyone's already tired of the winter here. We're starting a new maxim: global warming is your friend. Where is this warming anyway? It's been so cold even the animals are suffering.

The other day I saw the feed in my bird feeder was nearly empty on one of the coldest days thus far. So I thought I would do my part to help my feathered friends too stupid to go south for the winter. As I approached the feeder, one lonely sparrow was huddled on a lower rung.

Surprisingly, he didn't move. Usually, birds at my feeder take flight as soon as they spy me on the way. Not this little fellow. I walked right up behind him. If I'd been a cat, he would have been history.

"Excuse me, I'm going to put more feed in the feeder," I said, now just an arm's length away. He turned round, frost glistening from his feathered brow, tiny eyes glassy, seemingly miserable. After regarding me for a second, he turned back around. And continued to sit there.

What? I knocked on the kitchen window to summon my wife to see. She came and observed the stubborn sparrow too cold to fly away. But then he did finally fly on. He was fine. Just cold.

A co-worker who complained to me last week that he didn't know if he could take another month or two of this cold related a story about a lady at some apartment complex whose car had sat for some time in the same spot. When she did finally move her vehicle, it revealed a dead squirrel underneath, frozen in its tracks. Apparently, he had tried to take refuge from the elements, but in the end there was no retreat from the near zero temperatures.

I read a blog from an overseas visitor who recently visited Washington in the Pacific northwest where temperatures there were ONLY around freezing. "How the hell does anyone live in this frozen wasteland?" she asked.

Coincidentally, Hell Michigan is less than hour's drive from where we live. And, yes, it's frozen over.

18 Comments:

Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I know you have it way worse than we do here in SoCal, but I'm so w/ you-I hate the cold, I can't stand the rain. Plus, waiting this long for my daughter to have this baby is making it seem colder and wetter.
I just want some warmth, is that too much to ask???
Oh, did I mention I'm getting really cranky?

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O'la Mexico!!!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

Now what are those activities that cause global warming again?

1:55 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

My sentiments exactly Dave, so how come people are so enamored by snow?
the whole white Christmas thing, surely they know thats the fore-runner of all the COLD.

2:28 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Man, I feel sorrowful for your dumb/smart animals. But not you: You know enough to buy boots and gloves.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave, like I told Cliff, that is why I am happy to live in Houston. We had a cold front push in last night and it got down to 35 degrees. It got up to the mid 50's today and it felt good.

Hey, I see the enforcer up there, how is your family? How's your dad doing? Do they live in the frozen turdra too? lol

8:18 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LUCY--My family is doing fine. They live about 100 miles north of me, in Bay City, Mich. The enforcer usually takes a vacation in Mexico this time of year and from his comment, it sounds like he's going again. I haven't spoken to him lately, so I don't know for sure.

3:55 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

You remind me why I was so anxious to leave the Chicago area. Of course if I hadn't originally been from the LA area, it might not have Bothered me so much.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God for blogs!
It's me, Terri.....I need to get in touch with you about the contest/awards and judging.
I thought for sure I had your email, but can't seem to find it and nothing on here to send you an email.
BUT...if you see my comment here, please email me with your email address. Thanks, Dave. And I promise to return to read your last two entries when things slow down a bit for me.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

1:27 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

Hi Dave-- from sunny, southern Florida. No ice, no snow, but it is January and I am cold.... it gets down to the 60's at night!
Tell your Papa that Riga, Michigan is thirteen miles over the Ohio State line.... up 223 before you get to Blissfield. I have friends there and now you! Golly, it is practically in Toledo, so you could become an Ohio State fan! (Except they can't win a national championship) Better stick with Michigan!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ I am so sorry it has been so cold over your way. We only ever have about half a dozen below 0 C days in Winter.And that's about 32 F so we have nothing like it here except snow on mountains in the distance. Mind you you probably don't get $2C days which is 107 F too often.I enjoyed your Phone robot lady who fixed your phone. Good story. Thanks for your visit and glad you enjoyed the computer joke etc.Take care, Regards, Merle.

2:55 AM  
Blogger Babette said...

No wonder I always get Ann Arbor mixed up with Hell.

I wore flip-flops and a sweater yesterday. Seattle's moderate climate is due to the Japanese Current, weather you like it or not.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

KACEY--Thanks for that info. My father saw your comment and responded to me, "I don't know why I thought it was in the UP. Now I will have to check the map and see if there is a lake or county or something, with the name Riga."

BONNIE--I think maybe you're just thinking of all the "hell"acious beatings that your beloved Spartan football team took when they journeyed to Ann Arbor. Unfortunately, that's not likely to change soon.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave, I suppose you are too busy getting ready for super bowl to write. I suppose we will just have to wait for your commentary.

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've had some cold here in SE Pennsylvania - but next week is supposed to be in the 60's. But I'll bet the rest of February will be pretty cold. And maybe we'll get snow. So far, no snow. Very unusual.

Cas
Hang in there!

7:53 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

This post will come back to haunt you in August...ahahahahaaaaaaaaaa!

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL...I'll be darn! So hell really DOES freeze over?
It's been a horrible winter everywhere, I guess.
Here in Florida, it's been the worst Jan. I can remember in 21 years. Rainy, dreary, windy, raw, miserable. Okay, okay....so we don't have snow OR temps below 30. But we did hit upper 20's one morning. You have to admit...that's cold for Florida!
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Bonnie and Dave and the rivalry goes on. Nice to know that some things never change.

I've been known to visit you from the very tip of the U.P.- but not for a while. Now, it's either Chicago or St. Petersburg. Here in Florida, the issue severe weather warnings if the temp drops below 50. Big media event.
I need to go wish Bonnie a happy fat Tuesday. To you, too. Paczkis!

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home