Thursday, December 13, 2007

My Secret Santas


I participate in one of those "secret Santa" gift exchanges at my work. On our team of about a dozen folk, we each buy a small gift for everyone else. It helps to make the holidays a bit more fun and I enjoy the excitement of coming to work to find a couple wrapped presents on my desk.


So far this year, this is what I've got:


--A box of chocolate caramels. This one was re-gifted, but unfortunately not before I ate the top layer.

--A cannister of Macadanium caramel clusters. Re-gifted also after I calculated that there were 2,900 calories in that 20-ounce container. (The label boasted that these were made with "real butter.") But again too late, since I had already the top layer and then some.

--A tiny Norfolk Island Pine tree with tiny Christmas ornaments. The label says "enjoys being placed near a window." Does that mean it's going to sing or something?

--A Paula Deen cookbook. Paula Deen is from Savannah, Georgia, and two members of our team, including myself, journeyed to Savannah this past year. So it would seem to be a good clue that the book came from one of us. But it didn't. Somebody is just being a clever Secret Santa.

--A holiday gift towel and oven mitt. Big clue. No guy would give this.

--A contractor energizer area light. Another big clue. No woman would give this.

--A cellophane-wrapped package of some home baked cookies. There weren't that many. I didn't have to re-gift those.

--A travel manicure set. At first I thought that I'd have to pass that along to the missus, but then I noticed on the package it said "for him." The women's manicure sets said "for her." A manicure for men? I dunno about that. Doesn't sound macho.

--A cozy-up plug-in warmer--"the electric alternative to lighting a candle." So you can place a scented candle on his warmer and enjoy the aroma without the fire hazard and waxy mess. Except the only time we light candles in our house is when the power goes out. Can't wait to try it, though.


There were a few other items too--some Christmas decorations, Christmas crafts, and an instant lottery ticket. I didn't win. But I was pleased with all my gifts. They all reflected thought and sincerity on behalf of the Secret Santa. The only thing I missed were those little peppermint candy candy canes that we often got as an "extra." A nice little treat to cool your palate over the course of a long work day.


I won't tell you which gift was mine because I'm not 100 percent sure that none of my work colleagues read my blog. (I've never told any of them I have one, but you never know).


One year, I thought I would be possibly one of the most generous Secret Santas there ever was. I bought a lottery ticket to one of those mega-million jackpots. But somebody asked before I gave it, "What if they win?" Hmmmmm.


So I bought 'lottery insurance.' I wrote the same set of numbers twice, so that if my giftee won, me the gifter would win too. Except that I wrote the same number twice on the lottery ticket order form at the lotto counter. So when they ran it through the machine, I received ONE ticket with the same set of numbers twice, one right under the other. So I had to purchase one more. [Wendy's comment here: "Another Dave number"]

13 Comments:

Blogger Spicy said...

Wow Dave,
You scored well! I love Paula Deen...I have one of her cookbooks.
Something tells me you will gain weight! Cheers.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Wow, those sound like good gifts from your secret santa.....I hope you were kidding about regifting candy that you almost ate all of. I wonder what kind of a secret santa you are???

I am just now finding out about Paula Deen and she looks like a good cook....I probably would have given you a Rachel Ray.

Hope you and Wendy have a great Christmas.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I agree, a Paula Deen cookbook-sounds great. The rest I'd hate the look on my backside-enjoy them but would hate the look.
My husband has a gift exchange-he buys lottery tickets, everyone loves that!
At my place-vendors give the owners stuff by the droves, they do a raffle "pageant of the re-gifts". The first year, I received a alcolhol drink set (I don't drink). Last year-a paperholder and a metal mousepad.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

We have one of those exchanges, but the idea is to give something that no one would want. There is a lot of regifting that goes on there.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Trucker Bob said...

Well, if I ever send you a gift, I'll remove the top layer first. Too funny!

Also got a kick out of the 'lottery insurance'.

3:33 AM  
Blogger 2bme said...

That sounds like fun and honestly it kind of makes the week more intriguing. I like to cook and enjoy watching Paula but Oh boy, does she use a lot of butter or what. Of Course everything taste better, with butter, chocolate and alcohol.LOL

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh DAVE.. we got 10 inches over here. how much did you get totaled..I bet it was more than you thought huh!! PAULA got some great recipes it is a wonder she don't have heart failure with all that genuine butter she puts in everything...She made fudge last week with CHEESE in it.NO WAY. I draw the line on that sort of thing.. your gifts looked swell to me.. stay warm..

8:50 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Big Dave ~ These were all funny but my favorite was the Lottery tickets story. So if you would have won... you'd have had to split it 3 ways, with yourself, and yourself and then that other poor smuck who would have had the whole thing if you'd have done it the right way! Am I right here? ~ jb///

2:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

SATAN ENTERS THE SOUL OF WILSON:

Bill Wilson's "original mystical experience" was his alleged "conversion" --a classic occult encounter: "Suddenly the room lit up with a great white light.

I was caught up into an ecstasy...it burst upon me that I was a free man...a wonderful feeling of Presence, and I thought to myself, 'so this is the God of the preachers! ' A great peace stole over me...."(25)

This was not the "God of the preachers" but the one who transforms himself "into an angel of light" (2 Cor 1l:l4) - a light that often transforms those involved in the occult.

The experience was so profound that Wilson never touched alcohol again. Satan would he more than willing to deliver a man from alcoholism in this life if thereby he could ensnare him for eternity and inspire him to lead millions to the same destruction!

I, MICKY, AM THE LORDS LIGHT & SALVATION FOR OTHER PEOPLE.

2:51 AM  
Blogger Kacey said...

Hey, Big Dave --- You really scored! The idea of twelve people thinking up gifts for twelve other people sounds like a bunch of fun. I've been having trouble with my eight grandkids for years, because they wouldn't like some little fun thing --- it needs to be a Wii, or IPod or Nintendo Game --- I don't think they would go into raptures over a box of fudge less the top layer. Merry Christmas to you and Wendy!

1:56 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I think you have misrepresented what Wendy said. I believe what she actually said was "Another Dumber Dave." Maybe.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Bev Mahone said...

Hey Big Dave,

If you try too many of those Paula Deen recipes, you might have to call yourself "Double Deluxe-Sized Big Dave!"

She's a TRUE southern-style cook. The food is fabulous and fattening.

By the way, she's one of my Top Boomer Divas of 2007. Check them all out at: http://www.thebabyboomerdiva.com

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, this sounds good. I agree, a Paula Deen cookbook-sounds great. I wish you will win the gifts and the prizes too...

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home