Thursday, December 27, 2007

Xmas In the 'Old Country'

Okay, it’s over. Christmas that is. The shopping, gift wrapping, tree trimming, waist fattening, all done. It seems like the whole calendar year here revolves around the holiday. Certainly businesses depend heavily upon this season.

So here’s something I found interesting in one of the blogs where I occasionally lurk. In my desire to broaden my mind to other people and cultures, I sometimes read this rather clever blog put together by an Israeli woman. Here’s a story she related this past week:


I guess everything is shut down in the Old Country, what with the Xmas lethargy. I recall sitting in a meeting at a client site (in Israel) a few years ago. The engineers were trying to call the site in Silicon Valley, and there was no answer.

“It’s not Sunday, right?” asked one guy. We all shake our heads.

“And I didn’t get the time difference wrong, right?” We all quickly do the calculation and assure him that it should be early in their work day.

Finally, one guy says, “Maybe it is an American holiday or something: is December 25 anything?”


Guess somebody should have said to him “Gute Vaynakhtn un a Gut Nay Yor.”

That’s Merry Christmas in Yiddish.

17 Comments:

Blogger Babette said...

Merry Christmas in Danish is Glaedelig Jul!

Happy New Year in Spartan is Final Four!

1:03 PM  
Blogger 2bme said...

Feliz Navidad y prospero ano nuevo...
By the way Dave, I don't know for sure if the waist thickening is officially over at my house.
Do you really know yiddish - I'm totally impressed.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

really?, Well, I like to learn something new every day-I'll practice the yiddish phrase and try it on my parents!
Hope you had a merry day Dave

5:55 PM  
Blogger Bev Mahone said...

Merry Christmas in Ebonics is: Murray Kissmas

OK I'm being funny! I just stopped by to say Hey Big Dave and to thank you for stopping by my blog from time to time. The blogs you were reading were a part of a "blogging challenge" I did for 24straight days.

Check out what I wrote about Bill Parcells and his "menopause comment" at: www.babyboomerbev.blogspot.com

11:57 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

All I know is, in six days it will be Jan. 1. That's something....

3:39 PM  
Blogger Dust-bunny said...

Okay, I'm in..."Buono Natale!"

I hope you and yours had a wonderful Christmas in any language! And may your New Year be safe and prosperous!

7:57 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

*snort* love it!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Okay, I can say it in pig latin. errymay istmaschray or something close to that.

The tree came down early and everything got put away in preparation for the arrival of our new maltese puppies.

Now we just sit around and watch them and all their cute antics.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Spicy said...

Hi! Big Dave,
I've been busy catering to the sick folks this Christmas. I'm also glad its all over with...
We took down the Christmas Tree and put back the treadmill...hopefully to lose the few lbs. we gained.
Wishing you and your family a happy, healthy & prosperous New Year. Blog on..my friend!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Happy New Year to you and yours, Dave. I hope 2008 treats you kindly. :)

8:06 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, DAVE! We are still in the holiday food mode, then I have a birthday in one more week, then we start our diets!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave, the jewish people do not celebrate Christmas....

Happy New Year to you and Wendy.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave,I do have a fertilizer speader that you can borrow, the postage will be the killer. Ha Ha... TF and I have our credit cards paid off, our cars are paid off and only the house do we still owe on. I can't wait for the day when we get it paid off.....

11:26 AM  
Blogger Kacey said...

Sheesh Dave! It's Michigan 38 and Florida 35 with 2 minutes and 47 seconds and the husband is holding his breath! Go Michigan!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

Sort of makes up for Appalacia! Hooray for you!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

Well, the Michigan-haters will NEVER let me forget about Appalachian State. They've already put me on notice there.

But, yeah, this feels good.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just popping by to wish you a very Happy New Year, Dave. Hope the year ahead brings all good things for you, Wendy, Doogie and the rest of your family.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home