Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy Election Year

Happy New Year to all my blogging buddies out there. And any lurkers as well. My beloved University of Michigan Wolverines started out the new year right by scoring an upset win over the Florida Gators in the Capital One Bowl. Hopefully, it means this is going to be a better year.

Anyway, I usually stay away from religion and politics but since this is an election year, and my blogging buddy Nankin tagged me to write a 100-word short story, I thought I would break from tradition with this little creative effort:

What If Jesus Ran?


Most believed it was He. Preaching generosity, forgiveness, peace . . . He campaigned without money or organization. He spoke on street corners, and mingled with rich and poor alike. He accepted no donations, promised no favors. He spoke ill of no one, not even the enemies of the people.

So came the vetting. By TV, phone, mailers, the voices questioned. Would generosity mean higher taxes? Would He be soft on defense, on crime? Would He be weak on the Second Amendment? Would he discriminate against non-believers?

When they tallied the results, He finished seventh in Iowa, behind Ron Paul.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY DAVE..hope you are plowed out by now.. it may take me days..Liked your post.probably would be true.. nice job! :)

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another election year. I have the hardest time some years finding someone I really would like to win in an election.

But since it's leap year, we have a whole extra day to think about it.

Cas

11:11 AM  
Blogger Kacey said...

Too bad for Iowa --- He still would come in first around my house.
Very clever way to combine religeon and politics. You are a first rate blogger, Dave!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

Great post, Dave. I usually stay away from religion and politics, too.

We have to be so carefull what we say around the corporate office or the PCP (politically correct police) will get you.

You can be reported by a thrid person overhearing a conversation (eavesdropping?) if they don't like what you say.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Sounds about right!!!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

Dave, Kacey is right-I'm still chuckling here in CA!

7:00 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi Dave, sad but probably true assessment of the situation.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Dust-bunny said...

Loved your short story...I'm in agreement with Kacey on this one. Hope your new year is getting of to a productive start...many blessings to you and yours!

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story Dave. Sad, but true.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And a very Happy New Year to you, Dave.
Great writing and very clever take on the politics.
I didn't want to disappoint you...so my blog today is oozing with my political thoughts. (smile)
And as a writer, you might want to check out my blog for tomorrow.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

1:53 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

I love it. A religious political fable for our times. And with an unfortunate ring of truth.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Jesus was a registered voter he would vote for Ron Paul.

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blog: Love your story. How come you haven't updated us on your fantasy football league? How did that turn out?

8:37 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ANONYMOUS--I've already done a couple blogs mentioning my fantasy football league. I didn't want to bore my small blogging community with another.

My Revenge of the Blogs finished the regular season in first place. However, there was some collusion and and a nefarious trade which had the effect of combining the talents of Peyton Manning and LaDainian Tomlinson. Imagine if the two of them joined forces against Tom Brady and the New England Patriots. No fair, right?

So the less said about the post-season, the better.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home