Wednesday, November 07, 2007

BD's Yard Of Horrors



Yeah, I know Halloween is over. But because of a groundswell of requests--well, a couple of you anyways--I decided to try to put up some pictures of "Big Dave's Yard of Horrors"--much like it looked like on October 31st.

Absent this year was my nephew Mike who has hidden in that coffin above in past years. This year's trick-or-treaters seemed to remember, as many left plenty of space between themselves and the coffin as they approached my porch, some even casting a sideways glance to make sure nothing human or inhuman emerged.

A father asked his young boy, who appeared to be about ten, to go ahead and open the coffin lid. His charge steadfastly refused. But the dad was too curious as to what might lie under the door that said, "Do Not Open." So he approached carefully, flashlight in hand. As he did, the boy kept right on his coattails. "Go ahead, dad," he said. "I'm right behind you."
So they got to see my "weredummy." A few others peeked inside during the course of Halloween night too. "See it's just a dummy," one mother told her young kids. But I did notice that NOBODY poked the shape inside just to make sure.

I did lose one trick-or-treater too. One little girl stood in awe of my dangling skull with muslin stripping. Despite coaxing from me and her own mother and dad, she could not take her eyes off the skull, which twirled in the wind, to come get her treat. Eventually, while I was serving other trick-or-treaters, she and her parents turned and walked back down the drive. Felt bad about that.

Nearly all the other trick-or-treaters passed through my yard of horrors cheerily and without comment. Not even my Michael Jackson dummy seemed to phase them. Finally, I had to ask one little girl dressed in a ballet style skirt, "Isn't my yard scary?"

"I'm not scary. I'm a princess," she replied as she turned away to go to the next house.

Hea, I didn't ask about you! (I thought to myself) Then another much older teen came up my walk saying, "That coffin sure is creepy." So I asked what he thought of my Michael Jackson. "Michael Jackson IS creepy," he responded.

Again . . . not what I asked! Sheesh. Maybe my Michael Jackson dummy needs a little work. I'm no Michaelangelo. If anyone has any suggestions on how Michael can be improved for next year, let me know.

12 Comments:

Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

You wouldn't...you wouldn't...put...Michael anywhere near a 12-year-old, would you? Too spooky....

5:43 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

You are asking a lot Dave, to expect your visitors to have as much fun as you do when they visit your yard.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Spicy said...

Do you have a young 'child/doll' to put on his knee! forget that..might give the kids nightmare's.
I love the yard.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

Well, I like your Michael Jackson. We used to have a neighbor who liked to scare the kids, so he dressed up as The Texas Chain Saw guy and opened the door holding a small, running chainsaw.

1:59 PM  
Blogger 2bme said...

I think your Michael is great and creepy...maybe not as creepy as the real one but pretty darn close.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I also think the Michael doll is the most ghoulish! You're lucky to get trick-or-treaters Dave-our neighborhood has never had much holiday spirit. The biggest Halloween we ever had entailed answering the door 3 times!

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your MJ doll would scare the crap outta anyone. :o)

2:41 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

You need to make Michael skinny, maybe sucking his thumb and dandling a little boy on each knee. He just plain scares me --- especially his lack of gratitude for his good fortune and lack of remorse for being a pervert.
P.S. Love the coffin! You ought to ask a local crematorium for any old unclaimed ashes and you could save them and advertise the real thing.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

You are too much Dave. Being a grandma, I don't like scaring the kids....I put orange lights up around my arch and that is about as far as it went this year....We did have a ton of trick or treators and I was up and down all night long. My two favorite was a little girl fairy that was about 18 months old and a 15 month old pumpkin fairy.....So cute.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

It takes more than this to scare a SPARTAN, Dave!

Perhaps you should consider adding a wolverine skeleton to your collection.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks more like Michael Myers than Michael Jackson. Were is the sequin out fit? How about a white glove? Woo Hoo! Chamon

8:19 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Big Dave ~ This looks like the kind of yard that when I took my granddaughters (they are 5 & 7) to for "Trick or Treating, they said; "Please don't make us go to that house Papaw!" But in a couple more years, they'll more than likely be saying "Can we go back to that house again!" ~ jb///

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home