Friday, December 16, 2005

Bedtime For Big Dave

My brain is fried. I think it could be official, but I don't know who certifies events like that. Two months ago, I lost my ATM card. Not sure where, but I suspect I left it in the machine. There's an empty pocket in my wallet that my ATM card usually occupies. My keys are gone too. They turned up missing about a week ago. I've been on hands and knees all though the house, checked the pockets of coats I haven't worn in months, and even dug through the trash (you never know).

One thing about having fried brain is that you learn to accept it. I do anyway. My wife still frets over my forgetfulness. When I'm driving in the car, she'll ask, "Do you remember where we're going?" She usually asks after I've missed my turn, so I think the question already has been answered. I was probably thinking about my fantasy football team or something. So it's not that I forgot. It's just that our driving destination was not my top mental priority at that time.
But remembering can be hard for me.

This week I've been trying to remember the name of this cartoon I used to watch when I was a kid. Before A Charlie Brown Christmas, before The Grinch, even before Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol, there was a cartoon about a mouse who wanted to wait up for Santa on Christmas Eve.

The mouse drinks coffee, shadowboxes, turns wake-up music on the radio, but in the end sleep wins out just as Santa comes into view out the window. If I could come up with the name of the mouse, I could Google-find the cartoon, I figure. Binky or Blinky maybe. But Google turns up nothing. Other names and searches are fruitless also.

Then I have a dream that night. I'm searching for the name of that mouse. The word "sniffles" pops up. Sniffles? I still remember the word when I awake. I search Google and "Bedtime for Sniffles" is the third hit listed. That's it! How about that. My brain functions better asleep than awake.

I mention it to my wife. "Try dreaming about your keys tonight," she advises. Hmmmmm. Couldn't hurt.


P.S. "Bedtime for Sniffles" will be shown on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) on Saturday, December 17th at 11:30 a.m. EST, as part of their Cartoon Alley show.

12 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Oh crap Dave! I hope you find your card soon.

Don't feel too bad though. . . my sister in-law lost a kid at the local waterpark once.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi Dave, it's things like the name of that cartoon that are really frustrating, I got a question in Trivial Pursuit once, can't remember the actual question but it was to do with the TV show "The Ponderosa" I could recall EVERY detail of that show EXCEPT the one I needed to, I rattled of Ben, Adam, Hoss, Little Joe, the Chinese cook, (I can't think of his name now!!! no sleep tonight) I even hummed the theme song for the show, but my hard rearted opponents would not give me any points!!
Hop Sing!! Yey, I can sleep after all.

3:20 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Typo, should read "Hard Hearted"

3:22 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

It goes with the territory, Dave. I become a little more forgetful every year. The Missus especially hates it when I forget about a conversation I had with her the previous day and there's no recollection of it at all.

1:00 PM  
Blogger the many Bs said...

I lost my keys just yesterday and I've been getting more pissed off by the minute because I can't find them. I know exactly where I put them down. yeah right! My brain is fried and burned crisp. Where are my keys!!!!!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Did you cancel that ATM card? I hope noone is trying to take money out of your account. I don't have to worry about keys because I am married to a locksmith. But, I don't usually lose my keys. Now, my daughter is a different story.

As far as the memory goes, mine gets worse every year. Sometimes it really scares me.

8:57 PM  
Blogger bornfool said...

I have the same memory problems. The wife and I will be driving somewhere and my mind will be a million miles away. All of a sudden my wife will say, "Where are you going?" because I just passed my turn or went the wrong way.
I'd like to blame it on old age but I've always been this way.

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm afraid it sound's like the begining stage of C R S !!!

6:13 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Thanks for the link to "Rusty Chevrolet" Dave, it's stored in my poetry file, I wonder if it's coincidende that the Holden Ute is from the same stable as Chevrolet? one maybe spawned the other.

7:44 PM  
Blogger poopie said...

Sounds a whole lot like me hon. And I don't even have a "keeper" like you do!

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Michigander here Calhoun county...Hope you find that card and your keys in the CAR SEAT someplace.That's where my friend found hers! I say HERS..it does happen to us women folks too! Have a nice white christmas hope it don't get nasty and get all frezzing rain on ya...Merry christmas..caroldee

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please if someone gets this, I was trying to find out if anyone has a copy of any of the "sniffles" movies. I have been searching for years to get ahold of one!!! My email is overnightcelebrity5@yahoo.com Thank you!!

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home