Sunday, November 27, 2005

Games Night

When our families get together around the holidays, there's often time for games. So it was this past Thanksgiving. My favorite is Beyond Balderdash, a game where your skill at creating credible lies puts you ahead. For example, the Balderdash clue might be "February 1st, 1953." You have to make up some notable event that happened on that date.

All the participants answers are collected, each one is read, then each players tries to guess the correct answer which is included among the cock 'n bull responses.

So on February 1st, 1953:

--Jake "Raging Bull" Lamotta lost his middleweight boxing championship to Sugar Ray Robinson.
--Nikita Kruschev took over the Communist Party from Stalin.
--Japanese television started broadcasting
--Bill Haley's Rock Around The Clock hit number one on the Billboard charts.
--The first roller rink opened in New York City.
--Elvis Presley produced his first record.
--The first autombile powered by an engine was invented.

So the answers above are wrong except for one. Students of history should be able to logically eliminate a few. But one answer kinda stands out. The engine-powered automobile was developed long before 1953. So since it was my turn to be reader, I thought I would help out my young nephew Mike who created that response.

I read, "The first automobile powered by a jet engine was invented."

After I read all the answers, my nephew said, "I didn't hear mine."

I couldn't let on what I had done lest I reveal his answer. So I read them all again.

"It sounds like a word was added to my answer," my nephew said.

I was just trying to help! That's what I wanted to say. But I couldn't. And Mike couldn't say what he thought his answer really was, lest he reveal it himself. In another Balderdash game, my brother mis-read mouse-like to be moose-like, so one definition of the clue word became a "a moose-like animal that lives in South America." The person who created that answer had to bite his lip as other players laughed at the idea of a moose gallumping through the rainforests.

Anyway, among the answers above, nobody voted for the correct answer, which was the introduction of Japanese television. And nobody voted for my nephew's answer either.

"Can anybody reading my answers not add any words to them anymore," my nephew asked.

No problem.

8 Comments:

Blogger Fred said...

Our game is poker. As soon as the table is cleared, the chips come out, and we're off to the races. Mostly nickel dime stuff, nothing serious. But, it is fun to have us all around the table for hours just catching up with each other.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi Dave, sounds like fun, never played it though.
Re spam, I emailed you, nothing here though maybe now WV is blocking them they are using email??

5:25 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Some people just can't be helped.

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you know that there are mooselike mammals in south america!

6:20 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

I'm guessing your brother left his glasses at home....

3:01 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Sounds like a fun game...My kids like monapoly. We have a wonderful time playing it.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Jude said...

I've played that game and it's a hoot! I loved your last post about Christmas too, it always makes me sad to think that the spirit of Christmas has so many grumblers.....

Hi I'm Jude and I got here from Tracey's blog ~ she Linky-Loved you today!

12:07 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

LoL! Sounds like something my son would do! He never realizes when we're trying to help. Sounds like fun game. :)

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home