Monday, November 21, 2005

Where Do Old Blogs Go?

When I began blogging I read a lot of other people's blogs. Some I commented on, some I didn't. While browsing one time, I came across a pleasant, upbeat blog written by a woman in her 80s. How I found it I don't know, because the author's last entry was two years old.

It ended much as it had begun and had continued, with the woman commenting on her life such as it was, and the day-to-day happenings therein. There was no goodbye, no hint of anything awry.

I read the comments on her last blog and someone had posted a comment a year after her last entry, wondering where she was and how she was doing. There was no response nor any more follow-up comments.

Fellow blogger Poopie wondered in a blog recently if those bloggers we know have a back-up to let the on-line neighbors know if life events suddenly intrude somehow on the blogger to prevent them from posting. I'm not sure I do, but I should. I've found bloggers to be a curious and caring lot.

Along the same line, I've occasionally been following a blog only to see it not only discontinued, but deleted altogether. It's kind of sad. To me, it's like writing a small chapter of your life, with reviews and comments from strangers and friends, then tearing out the pages and throwing away the book.

I don't expect myself to be blogging for a lifetime. I've been at it for six months and figure another six months should be plenty. Afterall, blogging does take time away from life's other necessities. I could be studying my 401K investment options, fixing up the house to sell, spending more time exercising and pleasing my doctor, or any of a number of other hobbies and writing projects.

But I've already decided that I'll let the blogging community know my intentions when and if I decide to write 'fin' here. I don't know where old blogs go but I'll leave mine stay as long as it can. I'll consider it something like a chapter of a scrapbook written, then put on the shelf for anyone, including myself, to read at their leisure.

P.S. I see by my son's comment on my last blog that I need to be more careful when blogging about family. I'm sure that's one way to get a blog deleted very quickly is to inflame a member of the inner circle.

10 Comments:

Blogger WordWhiz said...

Agreed. I've had my blog only about a month longer than you have had yours and I'm not nearly as active as used to be. I'll keep it up until at least April, because I have plans to meet with some blogger friends in Vegas then and that should be a hoot. After that I may fade away. My life is getting to busy to spare the time these days. If you're still around when I decide to fade away, I promise to let you know first. Okay? Do the same for me??

5:52 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

You raise a good point Dave, we have a daily contact with people we don't know often from far away, Australia even, and then they can just dissappear from the screen.
I must remember to ask my son at holtpress to pass on the word if I suffer a sudden demise.

11:28 PM  
Blogger bornfool said...

A very apt description of what it was like to delete a blog.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Tracey said...

I never thought about it, but it would be a good idea to have a 'backup plan' should something happen....

6:12 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

You're right Dave. When people stop their blogs abruptly, you can't help but wonder and hope that tragedy didn't befall them.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Yes, my husband and both daughters have blogs and they can get annoyed when I write something they don't like.

I hope you don't stop blogging altogether. But I do know how blogging takes up time that could be used in other places.

Happy Thanksgiving..

9:19 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I have much the same attitude. When I run dry, I will know it, announce it, leave it up for awhile, re-read it, find it wasn't as funny as I thought, then delete it. Won't be for a couple of days, though. I got some really good stuff coming up (according to me) next week, especially. Maybe not, though.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

My family knows about my blog, but I'm not sure if they read it. No problem for me, though, I rarely mention them. I have another blog that's soloely for family pictures; I think they look at that one.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

6:57 AM  
Blogger the many Bs said...

I've noticed some blogs disappear also. I always wonder what happened and why they left without a goodbye. But please - don't go. I like coming here and visiting you.

Have a good thanksgiving.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

Hopefully blogging will get under your skin and you can't give it up. Yes it takes time, but it's well spent.

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home