Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Halloween Epitaph

A few notes after my favorite holiday of the year . . .

We really had a run on kids at our house. Usually we get around 150. I'll bet we had over 200 last night. If the rain hadn't chased them away after one hour, I'm sure we could have passed out over 300 pieces of candy before all was said and done.

My nephew Mike came over again to "scare the kids" (See Mike's Big Scare blog below). I was a bit worried since last year he got a little carried away, chasing some trick-or-treaters with what looked like a bloody knife ("They had it coming."). This year he was more tame, though he insisted that I put him in a chair right next to the porch.

That made for some funny moments. A lot of kids were wary of Mike, who was wearing an ugly monkey's mask, and v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y made a wide arc around him. One woman, to protect her kids, backed right up to Mike, sticking her ample behind in his face so her kids wouldn't have to look at him.

But many kids thought he was fake. This one guy about ten who looked like the grim reaper casually walked right over and touched Mike. Mike flinched and the kid literally doubled over in apparent pain. He looked as if someone had punched him in the belly. "Man, that scared me," he finally said when he composed himself.

Then this kid grabbed hold of his little sister of about six years, picked her up and tried to drag her over to Mike still sitting in his chair. She whined, squirmed and struggled till she was rescued by her parents.

Another little girl stood a healthy distance away, but kept a little patter going: "You're not real. You're fake. I'm not scared of you." So Mike moved a little to show he WAS real. The girl stopped talking for just a second, then started up again. "You're not real. You're fake . . . "

Not all was fun and games this Halloween. I called the police after a Devil's Night prankster kicked some lighted skulls that were part of my decorations, damaging the string of lights. Though I only wanted the police to make a patrol through the neighborhood, the dispatcher insisted on sending over an officer to make a report.

I felt sooooooooo silly trying to explain this to the beat cop. "They just were after the skulls. They left the coffin alone. That seemed odd to me." I'm sure the officer was thinking, "You, who have a coffin, skulls, a disembodied hand, and a makeshift grave should not be talking about 'odd.'"

12 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Better send that commenter over to Hoss' site Dave, he wants to make his pile.
"You're not real. You're fake.......... and I didn't see you move just then!!!

11:02 PM  
Blogger bornfool said...

It's a good thing Mike didn't chase the cops with that bloody knife. lol

5:01 AM  
Blogger Tracey said...

Hello

I am here via Trucker Bob's blog. I would have loved to have seen the officer's face that was making the report out! That would have been funny!

My father used to carve a bunch of pumpkins, put them on the stairs of our front porch with lit candles in them, and shut off all the other lights so all you had was the flickering candlelight. He'd removed the screen on the front door and left the light off inside the porch and when a kid would be brave enough to approach to ring the door bell he'd reach through the screen and catch their hand with a well timed "boo" thrown in. He'd then laugh himself hoarse. I always felt sorry for the kids.

Sounds like you had a good halloween. Hope you don't mind if I come back to visit again!

6:52 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

This year we had only about 18 kids show up. From about 5:00pm till 8:00pm we had a huge thunder storm come in. A cold front was pushing thru and it brough a ton of rain, lightening and thunder. It was just bad timing and now we are stuck with a 5lb. bag of tootsie rolls....Better luck next year.

7:24 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

*snort* Ain't it awful trying to explain things to the cops??

8:42 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

You mean on Halloween the cops don't have anything better to do? What do they do the rest of the time, soak up lattes at Starbuck's?

9:49 AM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Wow...you have a fun Halloween neighborhood! I got only ONE trick-or-treater, which is far more than I've ever gotten before. I live on a dirt road with no street lights and houses that are far apart. Not ideal for tricks-or-treats.

Tell me about that time machine you mentioned to Hoss.

3:49 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Oh wow! Sounds like you had a great time! It was storming here, so we had our own little party.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Our numbers were way down this year. We usually have 100 or so, but this year it was only about 70. I think a lot of kids got together and hit a few houses, then just hung around.

I used the leftover candy in class the next day as prizes. They were appreciative.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

Funny stuff, Dave! I remember "Devil's Night" in Detroit (Livonia) from when I was a kid! My dad concocted a scheme whereby we would throw eggs from our roof at any ruffians who might be in need of a lesson.

My son replied to your sweeper question at my place.

Go Michigan State!! *even though my son-in-law is a Purdue alumnus*

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Nice blog you have here. Lots of great info on san diego chargers apparel. I have a san diego chargers apparel related site. It has lots of information, discussion, stats etc. on san diego chargers apparel. Please check it out if you get a chance.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Trucker Bob said...

Sounds like you had some fun Dave. We used to set out treats in the lobby and take turns passing them out, but lately no one comes by.

I miss that stuff.

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home