Saturday, September 10, 2005

Scrapbooking For Men

My son recently was showing his girlfriend a scrapbook that contained pictures, programs, newspaper articles, and various personal souvenirs belonging to him and his brother. It was colorfully embellished in modern scrapbook style with stickers and customized cut-outs. Greg told her it was all put together by me.

“Your dad did this?!!” she asked with skeptical surprise.

Yeah. Me. Why not? I’ve put together a half dozen scrapbooks including the one pictured. It’s a hobby I started almost 30 years ago. The chronicle of my own life fills nearly two scrapbooks, both of which includes extra pages I’ve added. If ever I become famous, they will look nice in a museum.

But I never considered scrapbooking a feminine hobby until the current scrapbooking craze escalated. When I started browsing the aisles of die-cuts, adhesives, stickers, embossing supplies, colored cardstock, stencils and rubber stamps, I realized I was a distinct minority. Surrounding me were hordes of women, young and old. Coincidence? No! I clicked on “scrapbooking” on a blogger’s profile and came up with 40 other bloggers who listed “scrapbooking” as a hobby. All females.

Nevertheless, I enjoy the hobby. It does make me wonder if I have other feminine characteristics I’m not aware of. Not too long ago I e-mailed my old high school buddy Bob that I was giving up on my economy sized bottle of Grecian Formula. I was going to try a rinse with my grey hair instead. His reply: “Rinse? Hmmm that sounds like a woman's term. Gotta come up with something a bit more manly. Something mechanical, airbrush with an airgun maybe.”

I guess I need someone like Bob who will advise me when I’m becoming a bit too prissy. Maybe someone like Trucker Bob who seems the type to gauge masculinity by the number of foes a guy can vanquish in a bar fight. Not too long ago Trucker Bob on blog 203 asked this question of the day: “Have you ever wished you were a member of the opposite sex?” I didn’t touch that one. You first, Trucker Bob.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Trucker Bob said...

Hell, I'm still learning to be a member of this one.

Nice try Dave. ;-)

3:20 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

Don't worry about your masculinity, Dave. The Eagles might give back what the Fighting Irish took away!

Go Spartans!

4:44 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

It's okay to show your feminine side. For instance, I call myself "pretty." Most people would say "handsome." (Well, actually, most people would say "plain," but that's not what I'm talking about.)

7:40 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

For Bonnie the Spartan--

Sure, trample the downtrodden Wolverine. And you who quote scripture and verse on your own blog. For shame!

'Touchdown Jesus' and the Irish will be waiting for you in South Bend next weekend. Will you be ready for them? Better do some penance quick.

11:14 AM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Aww...see, you have a sensitive side too! I knew it. That groan was just a lame attempt to hide your "feminine side" right?

1:56 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

I sure wish you'd speak with my hubby and get him onboard with this kind of thing. God knows we've got enough pictures just hanging around and collecting dust in a box somewhere. See? I don't even remember where the box went. You're doing a great job! Have a great day.

11:35 AM  
Blogger the many Bs said...

Hey, I think a guy who does scrapbooks is FANTASTIC. I used to do them also, before it got popular. Yours looks really good though. Better than mine ever do. It's great fun, creates some really wonderful memories, and I don't think it diminishes your masculinity at all, rather it enhances your overall appeal as a unique person! Yay for you!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Wow! You're very creative. I like the way your book looks. I laughed my behind off when you talked about "rinsing." Thanks for posting that; I enjoyed reading it.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home