Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Stinkers


My old college buddy sent me this picture. What surprised him was not so much the skunk eating the catfood he placed outdoors, but his cat’s blasé reaction to the theft. Maybe the cat’s thinking, "That’s okay. There’s plenty more where that came from." If pets only knew the high price of their grub nowadays, My dog’s treats cost more than mine. Wonder if I could get Doogie to share my pretzels instead of begging for a Beggin Strip.

We had a stinker of our own this past weekend. I hate rebates. It just seems like companies make you somersault through hoops sideways to get a couple bucks back. "Include the model number, the UPC code, your original sales receipt (then what if it's defective?), the completed rebate form and the eye of a newt. You should receive your rebate within six months."

So in the mail comes what looks like a credit card addressed to my son. He already has two, one of which he swears he didn’t order. Why financial institutions are so eager to hand out credit cards to college students with heavy debt and little income is beyond me. Perhaps to get kids used to paying high interest rates when they start charging more than they can afford. It’s America after all.

But no way are we going to allow another credit card into our household. That got chopped up faster than an onion in a Japanese steakhouse. Only later did my wife read the accompanying flyer: "Enclosed is your rebate card for $50. It can be redeemed for products and services at any business that accepts VISA."

6 Comments:

Blogger Trucker Bob said...

Oops!

3:49 PM  
Blogger bornfool said...

I never even open mail like that, I just immediately throw it away. I wonder how many $50 cards I've thrown away.

Maybe that's Pepe LePew and he put a love spell on your cat.

8:09 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

To do all the work and then get the shaft --- it's too much to bear. I'll understand if you want to cry a little.

7:22 AM  
Blogger the many Bs said...

Big stinkin' bummer. I don't open that crap either. I just pitch it directly into the trash. That's probably why those companies love rebates - it makes you buy stuff, then you don't send it back in, or if you do send it back in, you throw the rebate away! Such a deal!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

Can one use a charge card for bail money?

10:30 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

"oops!" is right. That's so funny!! Sometimes I don't even open those credit card things I get in the mail. I wonder if I've ever thrown away a freebie!!

I have a credit card that is tied to an on-line travel company, specializing in cruise vacations. I got $500 off my last cruise by trading in points. I got $800 off the cruise I'm taking with my kids in February using points. It's one of the FEW rebate-like deals I bother with because it doesn't require me to DO or SEND anything!!

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home