Thursday, August 18, 2005

Was It Me Or The Spam?

Writers can be an insecure lot. That includes me. The other day I was browsing the blogosphere as I often do, giving some occasional feedback. I don't use bookmarks nor a log of any sort to record which blogs I've visited. Unless the blogger e-mails me back or comments on my own blog, it's unlikely by chance I'll visit that site again.

However, I ran across Wiser Woman, a blog about a woman starting a new life out west. Picking up stakes and starting a new life elsewhere is a very favorite subject of mine. The heart yearns, the mind wanders, but the body stays the course. That's true for most of us.

Anyway, I thought Wiser Woman to be especially eloquent, so I bookmarked her site and left a comment. I wished her well, but also noted that she had attracted a fair number of spam comments. Not cool, right? I've been seeing more and more of these spam comments which contain a generic comment about the blogger's blog, then an invitation to visit a site about "King Sized Comforters" or something like that.

Next time I check this site, all the comments have been deleted. And Wiser Woman no longer allows comments from anyone. Now there weren't many comments on her site to begin with, as she's a fairly new blogger. (As an aside, I've noticed that high traffic blogs do not seem to get as many spam comments as newer blogs). There were just my comments, and the spam. Now we're both gone, with no explanation. The fact that I was cut by someone called "wiser woman" kinda stung too.

As an insecure type, I try not want to offend by my words. Not in this venue, anyway. I even have my wife preview each blog I plan to upload in case I missed some slight to an offshoot religious sect. But comments are all my own, uncut and uncensored. And I know they could get me into trouble.

So I have to ask myself, was it me? Or was it the spam?

6 Comments:

Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

(Hee. Hoss 1, Dave 0)

(Honestly, Dave, you're much too kind to be deleted from anywhere.)

8:11 AM  
Blogger the many Bs said...

It was the spam. Count on it.

I've been seeing spam on blogs that I visit also. It sucks big time. I don't know what a person does to deserve it and I don't know how to prevent it. but you are very NICE and PC, so don't worry about offending anyone and getting deleted. Not gonna happen. You're too NICE.

(I even get a bit obnoxious at times, in joking, on other people's blogs and they don't delete me. So see, it's okay. you're cool)

1:20 PM  
Blogger Trucker Bob said...

I'm experiencing a bit of that but want to state that you sir are welcome at the Truck Stop in any form.

As to Hoss and the Poodle Lady, they bear watching. They're a nefarious pair. ;-)

1:46 PM  
Blogger the many Bs said...

Hey Dave, thanks so much for the heads up warning on haloscan comments being picked up by google. I guess if I want to gripe about something like I mentioned earlier, I'll have to start a completely new blog with a completely new ID and not tell anyone who knows me about it. Maybe?

8:40 AM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

I agree with Gene. (I always do!) No...the one comment you made that I referred to in a return comment on your site I took as funny. I can't imagine you offending anyone.

The SPAM has gotten to be outrageous! If you don't see it on some blogs, I'm getting they've found a way to screen it. I don't allow anonymous comments, but that doesn't seem to deter the spammers. They HAVE blogsites. They're merely free promo web sites and the comments are placed to draw you to them. I wish there was something Blogger could do to get rid of these. As FoilWoman said on her site, if they are going to promote their product by leaving comments on our sites, they should have to PAY us for the space.

I talked about you on my site today. :-)

11:33 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

I agree with everyone else. You are a VERY nice and considerate person; I'm sure that it was nothing you said.

These spammers are out of control. I also agree with wordwhiz. If they're going to advertise on our blog, then they need to pay for it.

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home