Monday, August 15, 2005

My Mysteriously Bad Day

I don't like to complain about work. Here especially. For one, I've heard that bloggers who complain about their jobs can run into trouble if their employers find out. Also, so many people complain about their job in so many ways, it's pretty much all been said. But not this . . .

My job consists mainly of reconciling a rather large Excel spreadsheet to what is commonly called the "general ledger." As I balance each line, I make a notation on my computerized document. Each month I make hundreds, perhaps a thousand or more notations. And I save my work often in case the network crashes.

The other day started like so many others when I noticed something terribly odd on my computer screen. My notations from this month were gone. Disappeared. Kaput. My formatting was all there, including lines I highlighted indicating those I'd done. But the most important part, my notes, had just vanished.

My god, how could this happen? Now I've been known to make computer blunders. There was the time I accidentally saved my working document as my supervisor's working document, effectively replacing his document with mine. That was my bad. And my boss was as forgiving with me as Godzilla was with Tokyo (Not true. My boss is a great guy.)

And since 50, my fingers have been more fumble than fleet. Combine that with my wandering attention and stuff happens. I might be smiling over Old Horsetail Snake's latest blog, then look up to my computer monitor and wonder aloud, "Where'd that come from?" or "How did that get over there?" or simply "What the (insert your favorite expletive)?" But this wasn't just some brain fart unless it was the mother of all brain farts. It would have taken a series of keystrokes I normally would not have done.

Was it sabotage? Or maybe some computer virus? I actually Google searched the news to see if there were a new Excel-attacking virus out there, though my colleague said it would have to be an extremely maniacal virus just to erase a small but very important part of my very large document.

The computer guru staff is now retrieving a copy of my working document. I want more, however. Dust for fingerprints! Call the Geek Squad! Pull the hard drive! Get homeland security on this. Somebody's messin' with me and I want to know who it is. Just hope it doesn't go like that old Pogo comic strip line, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

7 Comments:

Blogger the many Bs said...

Hey Dave T! I linked over here fro Hoss's site. You must be an accountant! That sounds like accounting lingo - Excel spreadsheet, general ledger, tick and tie (did you say that?). I'm an accounting geek too, but more interested in NOT working than I am in working. And yes, I've heard you can get fired for writing about work on your blog, so I dont, but I sure would like to bitch sometimes.... (do comments count?). Anyway, just wanted to check you out and say hello. come visit my site if you're in the mood, and I'll probably come back and harrass you some more.

9:39 AM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Hey...I just came from Hoss's site. Are you calling me a butt-smoochin', name-dropper?? Okay, I admit it. I AM a butt-smoochin', name-dropper! Guilty as charged!

11:35 AM  
Blogger Trucker Bob said...

So this is where all the nice folks are hanging out? Good post Dave, and I got a better idea of you from the phrase "And since 50".

12:42 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

See, that's what happens. People type in www.oldhorsetail, etc., and read awhile. Then tears come to their eyes because they're feelin' so sorry for me. And their tears land on their keyboard. And their keyboard goes nuts and wipes out all their best stuff. I've had a lot of these complaints. Just go to "System Restore" and shut up about it.

4:33 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Oh, and if you're in the visitin' mood, I can vouch for Schnoodle. She's a good one.

4:34 PM  
Blogger the many Bs said...

One more thing - Hoss told me it was okay to bitch about my work if it's "generic enough". I figure if I bitch in someone else's comments, no one from my work can trace me here, so maybe I'll come back and bitch someday. Lucky you. Watch out comments. (just kidding, I'm harmless, just kind of fiesty) :-)

10:48 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Yeah...the Geek Squad! Don't you love those commercials! Those guys are awesome! Go nerds!!

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home