Tuesday, February 07, 2012

I'm Okay, Thanks



It’s been a topsy turvy week, evidenced by the photo of my garage door here.

To be honest, the door needed to be replaced. It’s badly rusted in spots, some of the welds have given out, and though it’s supposed to function with an automatic garage door opener, it hasn’t done that in probably a decade. And opening and closing the heavy door manually is a chore my better half finds nearly impossible to do, which is somewhat aggravating for Wendy.

Sometimes when I closed or opened it, part of interior support steel would come loose from the steel frame and I had to connect the frame back together or else it wouldn’t shut properly. I've done that many times over the years. But I wasn't prepared for what happened over the weekend.

I was opening the door like I'd done many times previously, but then a plate that connected the door to the rollers and rail assembly broke free. Free being the key word here since the door was free to flip backwards and upside down, which it did hitting the concrete with a noise like a cannon shot. Not a gunshot. A cannon shot.

Thankfully, neither of our cars were in the garage or else they would have borne the brunt of this mishap. Even more fortunately, I was out of the way as well.

After surveying the damage for a moment, I went inside to inform the missus. She was in her recliner watching TV.

Wait a minute! Watching TV?? I could have been writhing in pain under tons of twisted steel (never mind a garage door salesman told me afterward my door weighed 200 pounds). I could have been gasping out my last breath, hands in the air, trying to wave down a passerby for help.

Wendy said she heard the bang, which I figured she must have since to me it sounded like a plane came down. But she said she heard me moving around right afterwards so she figured I was okay.

I'm a little dubious of that. It's winter. No windows are open. The TV's on. She's in a downstairs room that's at the back of the house. Hmmmmmm.

Now if our grandson Grant below should have as much as a sniffle, Wendy rushes over with kleenex in hand to take care of his runny nose. Can't I get just a little of that kind of attention?

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

B.D.D. here,Dave I think I see a lot of green in Grant's photo, you have to be more carefull when you take a picture.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

It's the mom in us Dave. I will send cyber hugs and kisses to the boys at the slightest hint of a skinned knee shown to me via Skype, but have no problem pointing out to Steve that at his age, he should be able to clean up a scrape from shaving incident.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

DAD--It's not my picture. Greg's friend Jimmy took it. He also bought Grant the shirt. True blue all the way.

CARINE--Sounds just like my wife. But c'mon, if you heard a loud crash where he was working, wouldn't you at least check on him?

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave you ought to be holding the door when the spring breaks. I was opening one of ours a few years back after the opener broke. The the preloaded spring broke. Thought it ripped my arm off. but they do slam loud and mine is half the size of yours. Without the spring next to impossible to lift. So you take it off the tracks. Next time I will leave it to pros.

7:06 AM  
Blogger CAROLDEE said...

Ours gave out, spring popped and sounded really bad..Thank GOD the car was not inside..never did fix the door. We had a two car garage and used the other side until we moved out. BOY the new owner will NOT be happy..if and when the house sells. Find it kinda hard to believe that she could hear you walking around from soooo far away. hmmm Take care!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ANONYMOUS--I've worked on the garage previously so I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. That's why I'm going to leave the door as is for now, eyesore it may be, until the professionals get here.

CAROLDEE--We're thinking of selling our house in a few years too, depending on the market. Fixing the garage door was one thing that had to be done first.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

I had the garage door come down on top of my van many years ago. It rumpled the door like an accordion but didn't hurt the car. Thank God you weren't hurt.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

Grant looks like a "Big Bruiser" throwing a football. Are you sure that he didn't take a sledge hammer to that door? I think you are working on the next generation of Michigan Football.
I've been up to the U of M twice to see a rheumatologist and an immunologist....that place really has its s**t together! Loved it and that is so hard for an Ohioan to say.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

NANKIN--Our door still looks strong there, even in disrepair. I have a feeling it would have at least put a healthy scratch into either of our automobiles. I'm taking down a shelf right now that was over the garage door. So I might get hurt yet.

KACEY--He does looks like a bruiser in this pictures, doesn't he. Spartans and Buckeyes beware. Glad you enjoyed the U of M doctors.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

I'm assuming you have a nice new garage door complete with opener by now!!!!!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

PETER--Keeping my fingers crossed that it's tomorrow. The installer is supposed to arrive at one.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

Methinks we need to hear Wendy's side of this story...

Alas, Grant is adorable! Unfortunately, his shirt is even uglier than your garage door.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

YOGA IN MIRRORMONT--I don't think someone who's infatuated with a mascot resembling Jay Leno in a green skirt is qualified to judge ugly. I think it's a beautiful shirt. Note how he's doing the 'victor's salute' too.

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home