Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Ring In The Old

Ring in the old as in, it might be us. We're getting there, Wendy and me. Actually, isn't the saying supposed to go . . . ring out the old, ring in the new? Somehow that doesn't seem to apply.

No big party for us to host or attend this year. Usually we get together with Wendy's sister and her two boys, have snacks and drinks, play games, then toast the New Year with Dick Clark and company at midnight.

But this year number two son Scott's in Washington, number one son Greg and his wife were up north being entertained at a bar by Greg's old college roomie on guitar, and Wendy's sister's boys are old enough to be doing their own thing. And they did.

So this year on New Year's Eve we enjoyed dinner out, six of us together, then Wendy and I joined her sister and husband at their house for a drink, the four of us, then Wendy and I were back home before nine, to spend the rest of the night, just the two of us.

Instead of playing board games, I browsed the On Demand movie selections offered by our cable provider and selected "500 Days of Summer", an independent studio production that offered a light-hearted twist on the traditional boys gets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl theme.

That lasted till about ten o'clock. Then we started to watch a horror movie until Wendy fell asleep on the couch. I started nodding off as well. Had Wendy not suddenly awakened at ten to midnight, we might have missed Dick Clark's counting down to 2012.

Today I leafed through some old journals I had made going back over 20 years. On past New Year's eves, we had done video skits, formed an impromptu pick-up band to play some tunes, launched a skyrocket that drew a police cruiser to our neighborhood, and enjoyed lots of entertaining board games.

Just a few years ago, my nephew Mike suddenly crashed to the floor, performing a pantomine in hopes of getting his teammates in Cranium to guess what catch phrase he was demonstrating. His brother correctly guessed "stunt double." Mike's mother just hoped he hadn't hurt himself.

Maybe next year we'll have more energy come December 31 but I wouldn't count on it. For one, it looks like it's going to be a particularly busy year at work. And I'll be pushing 60 next time we sing "Auld Lang Syne." (Hea, I spelled that right first time!)

Dick Clark, you may have to carry on the tradition for us next New Year's. We're counting on you.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kacey said...

It was still more exciting than our New Year's Eve. We left Ft. Myers, visited friends in Punta Gorda, then drove up to Ocala and had dinner with some friends. We went whole hog....ate at Bob Evans. The friends went on to a party and we hopped into bed in the Hampton Inn and "My Honey" was asleep by 10:00. I dozed and woke in time to see the ball drop in Times Square. We were back on the road by 7:00 a.m. and drove all the way to Toledo to beat the impending wind storm that arrived promptly yesterday. Now that we are here, we have no INTERNET, phone or TV....so, I am on my Virgin Mobile card and "Honey" is at our son's house to see the Michigan Game. But, we are home and can see real doctors (they don't have any in Florida). Honey is going to the cardiologist tomorrow and I am coming up to the U of M next Weds. to see their immunology department. See, we are old---- you are not!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

Auld Lang Syne to you, Big Dave!

But, SPARTAN tears taste like sugar?! Go Virginia Tech!!!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

KACEY--They don't have good doctors down in Florida? Or are you boycotting down there because of what they did to your Buckeyes? I hope you have a healthier 2012. So many of my blogging buddies have been fighting ills at the end of 2011.


YOGA IN MIRRORMONT--Go Virginia Tech??! You'd cheer against your own kid if he were wearing the maize 'n blue. I was cheering on your Spartans (well, I wasn't rooting against them) when they FINALLY won a bowl game. Now they can move up to play the big boys with confidence in the Bowl Championship Series. Big brothers leading the way!

3:52 AM  
Blogger CAROLDEE said...

Happy Jan 4th..I find the older I get the less I celebrate the New Year. I reflect probably more than I should though. I thought about going south farther into Fla to work but changed my mind..right now times are tough everywhere. There are JOBS but those JOBS are easier to fill with young'uns 30's and 40's not 60 like I am.. the job descriptions call for "energetic and fast paced" individuals..guess we know what that means. I apply at maybe 5 places a day on line and some in person.. Nothing yet.. it sure is depressing.
P.S. Yes I had to go through all my links..so many quit blogging way back in 2010!! :-(

8:06 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

Happy New Year Dave! Our NYE is always quiet. I think in almost 32 years together we've only been to a party 4 times-once was to help the mom of our son's GF host the kids! We don't drink, so I guess we've been considered "wet blankets" for anyone who uses the night as an excuse to do so. Steve worked until late (we all know everyone goes furniture shopping on NYE!). I made a nice dinner, we watched stuff on our DVR, then turned to Dick Clark. I worked challenger crosswords, Pepper kept taking turns on our lap and then after Lady Gaga and the Mayor of NYC dropped the ball-we kissed and went to bed.

Such an exciting event!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CAROLDEE--I just read recently--was it the AARP periodical?--that middle-aged and older folks have the hardest time finding a job. And the AARP suggested looking for a greeter job at Wal-Mart. That's one job I would never want.

CARINE--Who goes shopping for furniture on New Year's Eve? People wanting last minute sofas because they underestimated the guests who are coming to their party? That's a surprise. Sounds like your NYE was much like our's. Challenger crosswords. Sudoku is about as challenging as I get.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

Big brother?! No way!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

YOGA IN MIRRORMONT--You two were meant for eachother.

3:05 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I see numbers and go to sleep Dave, that's why I stick to crosswords!

See you when I return from AZ!

7:58 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--Arizona? In January? I'm jealous. We're due to finally get some true winter weather here.

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home