Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Guess The Movie

[Today's blog contains allusions to a popular holiday movie. See if you can guess what it is]

We're having the first real snow of the season here in southeast Michigan. Glad I'm not some wild critter stuck out in the cold. But on the other hand, better out there than in here.

Just this week I heard the pitter patter of something running above our family room. Must have been on the roof. Rather, I HOPE it was up on the roof. I asked Wendy if she heard it and she said she didn't. That figures. I think her hearing is going. Lately she couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitro-glycerin plant.

Anyway, I just heard a critter running. My friend Bob wrote to tell me of his own harrowing adventure. He tells it best in his own words here . . .

"Big excitement yesterday was discovering I had a squirrel in the house. The dog kept me up most of the night wanting out and whining, both uncharacteristic. I had no idea what was up until just before leaving for work I saw a squirrel make a mad dash into my bedroom.

I needed to leave for school just then so I closed the door and took the afternoon off to come home and deal with it. After buying a trap at Lowe’s and some nuts at Wal-Mart the squirrel was nowhere to be found. Around dinner time I saw the dog make a mad dash across the family room and the squirrel went flying.

The dog had it cornered eventually behind a small chest freezer but there was no way to get at the squirrel. Moving the dog away drew the squirrel out and a mad chase around the house ensued. Eventually the squirrel ran into the kitchen and I grabbed a pair of jeans hoping to gather him up—seemed silly at the time too but they were handy. When I got into the kitchen I saw mop and pail in the corner, dropped the jeans and grabbed the pail.

At that point the squirrel started up the stove. I hurled the pail across the kitchen knocking the squirrel down, the pail fortunately bounced back to me and I was able to drop it over the squirrel as it skittered across the linoleum floor. Fifty-eight and still quick as a cat! Evicted the squirrel at least for the moment. Had I caught it in the cage I would have driven it a couple of miles away."

He added that he hoped the squirrel is not part of a litter hiding in the attic. I wondered to myself why he didn't just prop a door open and let the squirrel escape on his own just like . . .

Oops, I almost let the cat out of the bag. You're supposed to guess what movie I'm alluding to.

8 Comments:

Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

hmmm, you know I haven't really watched too many Christmas films. A Christmas Story was my kids favorite. Good movie, but after one rainy weekend when tbs played it over and over again-i began saying the words along w/ the movie! The iconic Jimmy Stewart movie of course-not much else.

a squirrel in the house? ew

2:43 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--Eck was my wife's comment on the squirrel in the house. We've had bats in our house a couple times. That rates an eeek. I'd rather have a squirrel.

Christmas Story is a cute movie but it's not the one I was thinking of when I wrote this blog.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

We don't have squirrels here in Aus, but we do have "Puss in Boots"!!!!

I'm dying to see that movie.

Back to sqirrels...I have no idea...the only things that come to mind are the chipmunks (Alvin and the crew), Earl the Squirrel or Cyril the Squirrel!

My apologies for not visiting more often, Dave. I hope all is well with you and yours. :)

7:49 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LEE--No squirrels in Australia? That's a shocker. They're everywhere here.

That movie is Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase. They bring a Christmas tree into the house not knowing there's a squirrel there. Then all heck breaks loose.

I have trouble getting around the blogging neighborhood too. Part of it is my extremely balky computer and/or modem and/or internet service.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Debbie said...

Dave, I thought that was the movie. :o) My family loves it, and we have it on DVR.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

I love that movie and watch it ever Christmas whether I intend to or not! It just always sucks me in! I wrote about it only earlier this week in an article, actually!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi Dave, I consider myself to be a movie nut, I have a tad under 1300 on DVD, but I've never seen Christmas Vacation.... maybe this Christmas.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

DEBBIE--I've always been a fan of John Hughes' comedies. National Lampoon's Vacation is my favorite.

LEE--My favorite part is where Clark announces at the family dinner that the local news reported Santa is heading out from the north pole. And cousin Eddie retorts, "You serious Clark?"

PETER--We've always enjoyed it. Every time we rig up our Christmas lights, we think about Christmas Vacation.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home