Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Acts of God

Oh, great. I just checked the scenic area where we’re heading to in Canada and they’re predicting nothing but showers for a week straight. What, do they have a monsoon season up in Canada? I thought it never rained in California. Doesn’t that apply to Oregon, Washington and British Columbia on the west coast too?

Mother nature and friends have been unsettling of late. Take my son Scott out in Washington DC this past week. He was sitting having lunch and minding his own business on a concrete bench outside the office building where he works when the bench started shaking.

He turned around, thinking maybe one of the area’s homeless folk was messing with him (a very strong homeless person obviously). But then the trees started shaking, the ground started rumbling, car alarms were going off . . . EARTHQUAKE! Though he’s never been in an earthquake previously, Scott knew exactly what was going on. However, other employees inside office buildings who had lived through the 9/11 terror attacks a decade ago weren’t so sure. Definitely more scary for them.

The buildings were all quickly evacuated and for hours employees didn’t know the extent of the situation. Eventually they all were told to go home and call the next day before coming in again. Bummer for Scott since he didn’t have his keys and cell phone. Left in the building which was off limits now. Worse for the daughter of a colleague of mine—her daughter was caught without her cell phone, keys and purse with her money. She waited it out until they gave the all-clear to go inside several hours later.

Then hurricane Irene happened. Scott was told to expect at a minimum to be without power for a few days. He took that warning seriously, however too late. By the time he got to the store to stock up on flashlights, batteries, canned goods and other necessities, the store was cleaned out. Lucky for him, Irene took her wrath elsewhere and spared the part of Maryland where he lived. He wasn’t among the four million plus to lose power.

At least I have some flexibility with my vacation to come. I am locked in with reservations for southwest Canada, rain or shine. But after that we can change plans if necessary. For example, stay away from the rainy coast. Maybe Yosemite. Let me check what’s there. Fire! Highway closed, campers evacuated?

*sigh *

8 Comments:

Blogger Lynilu said...

In a word .... NO.

In a few more words, the coastal regions of Oregon and Washington, even northern California, get lots of rain, have many overcast days, tend to be a bit gloomy. I about went crazy when I was there for a couple months (Seasonal Affective Disorder). That said, I would suspect BD would be likewise.

May I suggest a different travel agent next time, one who knows what he is doing and is familiar with the destinations?

Jes' sayin'.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

For years my family brought rain wherever we vacationed. We tried to parlay our skills into free lodging, but it was never honored.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

see there Dave, we here in SoCal-we're usually praying for rain. I know my sister-in-law in Santa Rosa gets a lot of rain. Our daughter's in the middle of the desert and has monsoon season most of the summer. hot, wet and icky

11:30 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LYNILU--I'm starting to think I should turn in my travel agent license, maybe just join some senior citizen's troupe next time. Leave the driving and planning to them.

JAN--You're not going up north the week following Labor Day are you? Just kidding. I can't remember rain ever spoiling a vacation of our's. Fog though once ruined the view of Bar Harbor from atop the mountain there.

CARINE--I didn't think wet and the desert went together. But shows you what I know living here in greener than green Michigan. Ooops, I meant bluer than blue.

11:47 AM  
Blogger CiCi said...

You say you do have options so you have an open mind and are ready for some adventures. The plane will get you there safely and then you can be flexible. Enjoy the vacation and take pictures to show on your blog.

4:32 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

How and Great Sand Dunes National Park? What can happen there? (Don't ask)! ~ j///b

5:32 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

TECHNOBABE--We've already driven over 1,000 miles. I'm good with it thus far. As far as photos, I need a better camera.

LZBLOGGER--I never heard of that one. But they have a lot of national parks up here in Canada that I never heard of.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ So far so good. I think you two may even enjoy this holiday.
Your son Scott copped both the earthquake and the storm Irene. I hope that is it for now.
The Aussie you met in Canada is right, we don't have many large expanses of lakes with fresh water.

I am glad you enjoyed the jokes, and "The Half-wit" was a good one.
Take care my friend. Regards, Merle.

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home