Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Another Day, Another Sigh

*Sigh*

I've been doing lots of that lately with the IRS breathing down my neck, our extra car sitting dead out in the driveway, the city seemingly spending all of its federal stimulus money re-paving the road in front of our house for the past several weeks, and the bank giving us money we didn't ask for.

Yeah, that's right, our bank giving us money we didn't ask for.

When we found out we contributed too much to our Individual Retirement Account (IRA), we asked the bank to withdraw the excess funds. They investigated, referred our issue to "legal", then finally gave us more money than we originally requested, that excess contribution.

*Sigh*

To make matters worse, I'm getting conflicting stories via the internet--always THE authoritative source for all things legal and financially complicated, right?--on how to proceed with our tax situation.

Of course, the IRS covers our situation itself with a publication that's over a hundred pages long, with links to other publications and information I may require. Can't they just publish, like, a Cliff Notes version?

*Sigh*

I'm seriously thinking of putting pride in my pocket and going to H.R. Block.

All life's stress aside, the movie geek in me wants to report a discovery I made this past weekend.

I've always been a big fan of science fiction movies, going back to when I saw my first movie in the theatre almost 50 years ago. I even have a book capsulizing hundreds of horror/sci fi flicks that were made pre-1970. Those that I've seen I put a star next to.

Anyway, I've always remembered a scene from one of these sci-fi flicks I saw before my age hit double digits. It's always haunted me for some reason. These two astronauts go into a cave. There's an opening in the cave with light beyond, so they venture through the opening. A translucent shell then forms over the opening and the astronauts are never seen again.

Of course, over the course of decades I'd forgotten the name of the movie and though I've seen hundreds since, I'd never seen a movie with this specific scene again . . .

. . . until this past weekend. Our "On Demand" feature on cable offered a 1960 movie titled "Twelve to the Moon." The capsule summary didn't sound too intriguing but when I saw it listed in my movie book, I had to watch it so I could put a star next to its entry too.

And wouldn't you know it? That scene I'd envisioned since I was a mere child was in there. I must have seen this movie at the show or on some late night science fiction theatre eons ago.

Eons ago. *Sigh*

7 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ The drama continues, but at least they gave your money back -
but at what cost? H & R Block is looking better all the time.
I don't share your enthusiasm for sci-fi movies, but glad you finally found the one you saw as a child.
The Tasmanian Devil is a small animal that is endangered and lives only in Tasmania. Glad you enjoyed the jokes, my friend. Take care,
Regards, Merle.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

so sorry Dave, sounds as if the gray cloud has moved your way for a while.

Find that HR Block, a CPA or someone who for some unknown reason knows the tax laws and let them at least lower the clenching that is sure to be setting in your job.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

MERLE--You're right, H.R. Block is looking better. I didn't know the Tasmanian devil was an endangered species. Kinda like our Wolverine here in the U.S.

CARINE--Coincidentally, grey clouds have been outside my window at work here all day. I prefer a little sun to brighten the mood.

11:58 AM  
Blogger CiCi said...

The IRS scares me, you are gutsy trying to stand up to them by yourself. I have known too many people who did that and lost. I sure would not recommend HR Block to anyone though. Just from my own experience.
Your Sci-fi book is great. That is sorta what I do with books. And I star the ones on my list that I flip over and have little notes on some books too. Glad you were able to re-live the experience of watching the astronauts in the cave. Bet the little boy in you is at peace now.

3:18 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

TECHNOBABE--No H.R. Block, eh. Hmmm. Well, I have to do something soon, one way or another. By the way, my sci-fi movie book is falling apart, I've gone through it so much.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

Your problems are taxing, 'tis terribly true.
And, it's been another eon since you beat MSU!

For the Wolverines,
I've got nuttin' but hate;
Molon labe;
Go STATE!

Chomp, rush,
Destroy, crush!
Pummel, flush!
Turn those skunk bears into mush!


28 - 14 victory in Lansing (East).
SPARTANS continue to be the Beast!

Alas, Big Dave, resist being a grouch.
(Wanna borrow a match to burn a couch?)

1:19 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

BONNIE--Didn't take you long. Don't you have cauldrons to stir, eyes of newts to collect and sort?

No, I'm not like my Spartan counterparts and won't turn to felonious mischief in defeat. In fact, I think I'm unlike many Spartans in that I would cheer on MSU so long as they weren't playing my maize 'n blue. We Wolverines are magnanimous, compassionate, altruistic, benevolent . . .

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home