Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Watching Granty Grow

"I'll sit here with my little man near, we'll listen to the radioBidin' my time and watching Scotty grow."


Many of you probably recognize the line there from Mac Davis's song, a popular hit for Bobby Goldsboro way back when. Funny, but I don't remember Wendy and I bidin' our time watching our children grow up that much. And we even had a child named Scotty!

Way back then, other issues commanded more urgency, whether it was career, home improvements, shopping, friends or family. And the impatience of youth interferes as well.

You're anxious for your baby to graduate to the next stage whether than involves sleeping through the night, feeding himself, potty-training, whatever. Sure, we spent plenty of times with the little ones doing various activities, but that's all lost in the maelstrom of life's other activities

Now, Wendy and I don't have to worry about career or furthering our education. We're settled in a home that has probably seen most of the improvements we're going to make for now. Shopping isn't important. So now we can have weekly visits with our grandson. "Biding our time and watching Granty grow." Hmmm, not the same.

So some observations thus far . . .

Whenever he comes over, our grandson has this dour expression as though the weight of the world lies upon his shoulders, even at three months. Wendy can pry a smile from him easier than I can. If I bounce around the floor, barking like a dog--which I'm doing in the picture below--he'll smile for me.



But that doesn't bode well for his opinion of where grandpa sits on the evolutionary scale.

One impression I have already is that Grant follows in the footsteps of his dad and his grandfather, me. He's not much for listening to conversation, much too easily distracted by the picture on the wall, the color of the ceiling, and the lights in the room. He seems to regard lamps with special fascination. Very short attention span overall. I keep telling Wendy that part of the reason I lose focus of what she's telling me is genetic. I have short attention span genes. Maybe Grant will help prove me right.

Our grandson does like to share with us his tales of woe, sadly cooing and whimpering, combined with the occasional squawk. What weighs so heavily on him is a mystery to us. If his Boston Terrier brother Simon is nearby, Simon will come over and give him a few licks. Apparently Simon believes the cure for infant distress of any kind is generous amounts of dog slobber.

I tried to upload here a video of Grant as he awoke from a catnap in his grandma's arms. Uploading the video didn't work but the link does. You can see our grandson manage a faint smile when he realizes who's holding him.

Later, Grant fell asleep in his grandma's arms again. Then his father came home and awoke him with a series of jabs and pokes--toughening him up, dad said. Disturbed from his slumber, our grandson awoke with a scowl, looked up to see his dad's face and . . . BIG SMILE.

Now why can't he do that for us?

10 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

I read some place that at five months the baby begins to be very social and smiles at everyone. He's probably just breaking you in so that you will be grateful for a tiny bit of recognition.

Of course you could outfit him in UM garb to speed the process along.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the new Youtube username

3:35 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

JAN--We are grateful for any sign of recognition we get. That's a great idea too on the U of M garb. You can't have too many Wolverine onesies!

ANONYMOUS--Since all I've been doing with my new video camera is take pictures of Grant, kinda made sense.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

I loved Mac Davis...he was a writer of great lyrics!

You can use that excuse, Dave until your grandson grows a bit older...the attention span one...then you're on your own, mate!!! ;) You'll have to think up another one!

Babies are such time-stealers...in the most pleasant of ways!

Happy Easter to you and yours!

3:27 PM  
Blogger HalfCrazy said...

Hey there!

Nowadays, kids having short attention span is quickly becoming the norm. I think the standard time for short attention span in classrooms is now 15-20 minutes. As the years go by, those numebrs diminish.

I have nephews who I'm always very excited to teach certain stuff but even if I'm already shouting their name, they still got their attention on some other things. Apparently, I'm not interesting enough.

To have a relationship with a baby, you must always be the one feeding him. When you talk and smile at him frequently, chances are he would do the same.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LEE--I was surprised that Mac Davis had written that. Always had associated that song with Bobby Goldsboro.

HALF-CRAZY--Well, there you go. I haven't gotten to feed Grant yet. He nurses though so I have less to offer in that regard.

3:57 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

Now see, in our case Dave-they'd get excited and wouldn't go to sleep when we were around then. Now, they know if we're either visiting them or they're here (like now)-I will transport them to some wonderful place only found in books that their parents somehow never find time to read! I don't know why-I read this way to our kids until they were 8 & 10 and they saw me do the same for 10 years w/ our day care.

Either way-the boys are truly loving every minute of "Charlotte's Web"

6:51 PM  
Blogger Madeleine said...

This could melt even a SPARTAN heart.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

Oops, I didn't even know my daughter had a blog. So much for great parenting!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

MADELEINE/YOGA IN MIRRORMONT--Hope your family there has a blessed and happy Easter. If blogging is the worst that one of your many children has done, you can still qualify as a great parent. I don't even want to know all the stuff my Spartan alum son has done.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home