Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring Rituals

We officially marked the beginning of spring this week, ironic here in Michigan since we're under a winter weather advisory tonight. Areas to the north may receive several inches of snow. Locally, we may get freezing rain and ice but then again we may not the TV weatherman predicted in typical ambiguous weather forecasting fashion.

On Sunday, we journeyed up to Bay City for the St. Patrick's Day parade. It marked my grandson Grant's first trip to see my hometown. Here's Grant with one of his second cousins, both decked out appropriately in their Irish duds.



My nephew throws a big party for his friends, many of whom are fans of Michigan State University, and the party usually gives them a chance to cheer on the MSU Spartans' if their basketball team is still in the NCAA tournament. Not this year. The Spartans were one and done, losing in the first round. But we got to watch instead my U of M Wolverines play in the second round, against Duke. Go blue! Alas, they lost a close one.

I'm in my nephew's NCAA bracket challenge pool along with 14 others who paid $10 each, winner take all. I picked Ohio State to win it all. Figure that's a win-win situation for me. If the OSU Buckeyes lose, I'll be happy since I don't really care for Michigan's arch-nemesis. If Ohio State wins it all I'll be really upset, but if it puts me on top I'll take the prize money as consolation.

So far, my predictions have me in about the middle of the pack. Go U Conn! I need them in my final four.

Another spring ritual involves my giving up something for Lent, long a tradition of my Catholic upbringing. This year I put Lay's Potato Chips on that list. My wife Wendy thought it more appropriate that I include all potato chips but I didn't think that necessary. Lay's are far and away are my favorite.

So . . . last week Wendy and I tried out a new sandwich shop. We both ordered turkey reubens to go. The sandwiches were prepared out of sight, put into a couple plain brown paper bags, we paid for them, and we left.

I think you know where this is going.

As we were driving off, Wendy opened one of the bags and gasped.

"You'll never believe what's in here?" she said.

I think you know what it was. Somebody obviously was testing me. And . . . I must confess, I failed. Twice, since Wendy didn't want her bag. I figure since I hadn't ordered them myself and had no knowledge they were included with the sandwich, it was okay.

But I do feel guilty now. I guess I should make amends. Maybe from now till Easter, I'll include all potato chips. Yes. And since it's here in black and white, you know it's a promise I'll keep. Too many spies willing to add a comment here.

13 Comments:

Blogger Lynilu said...

Uhmmm, you could have not eaten them, you know. Just saying!

;D

7:51 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LYNILU--Lays potato chips don't stay uneaten in our house for long. Since Wendy doesn't like them that much, sooner or later it's gotta be me.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like your handsome grandson is giving the "hang loose" hand symbol.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Great photo of your grandson and his little cousin.
Shame on you eating those chips. But at least you didn't order them. We never get chips with a sandwich here.

Glad you enjoyed the jokes etc and sorry the movie you and your son saw was full of bad language. All the progress isn't always the best.

I hadn't heard about any really endangered animals in Australia.
There is always a bird or frog or
fish. Maybe with all the floods, some animals were drowned.
Take good care, my friend, Regards,
Merle.

3:48 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ANONYMOUS--He's very expressive with his hands. Long fingers too. Maybe he'll be a musician.

MERLE--Never get chips with your sandwich there? Must be that Subways doesn't have a franchise there in Australia. They're always pushing chips with their sandwiches.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

and this is why I don't eat chips, LOL

6:41 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

I need a cold, Lutheran beverage after reading your post!

I gave up basketball for Lent.

That little tyke is adorable! He looks swell in GREEN!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--I shouldn't either. Salty snacks are my weakness.

YOGA IN MIRRORMONT--Menage a Frog? I happened to run across that recently at a local party store. Wow--for those with expensive taste.

Yes, forget basketball AND green, especially after the Wolverine icers scored a thrilling come-from-behind victory in the NCAA hockey tournament last night!

4:44 AM  
Anonymous betty said...

Oh, boy. This is a touchy subject for me, this subject of giving up potato chips, especially Lay's. I just read a horrifying article about the 10 worst (ie. unhealthy) foods known to man, and guess what topped the list? Yep.

I don't know anything about sports, but wouldn't you think that Jim Tressel's recently uncovered major moral blunder would somehow impact OSU sports?
I suppose it wouldn't affect basketball, but still. You would not believe how Tressel's news has rocked the town. Of course everyone defends him.

Hugs,
Betty

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the photo of Jocelyn and Grant. Thanks for coming up to Mahoney's again. It is always a good time and it was fun to cheer for Michigan for once.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

BETTY--Interesting observation about Tressell. Hadn't considered that his indescretion might have carried over to basketball too. Well, not sorry to see them out of the tournament.

ANONYMOUS--Fun to cheer for Michigan? This can't be Vic.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

was hoping to read your latest blog b/f I left Dave! Guess I'll get to enjoy 2 when I get back!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--Yes, running behind because we just got back from New York, taking our son back to school there.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home