Tuesday, January 25, 2011

You Can Call Me Grandpa

One last quick getaway before the arrival of our first grandbaby. That was the plan.

I made a non-refundable reservation for a Holiday Inn in Gaylord over 200 miles north in a region which embraces the winter and cold with snowmobiles, skiis and ice sculptures. Leave Saturday, return Sunday. That was the plan.

Then this past Saturday morning before we could wake on our own the phone rang. It was Greg, our son. His nine month pregnant wife's water had broken. They would soon be on their way to the hospital. Could we watch Simon, their Boston Terrier?

What??? She was still over two weeks pre-term. With her first, a baby that often comes late!

So we agreed to take Simon, figuring (correctly) that we could pass him on to Wendy's sister. She could use a playmate for their dog Harley for the weekend. Since our reservations were only for one night, by the time we made a quick trip up and back our new grandbaby would be here for the holding and we could retrieve Simon as well. New plan.

Not the best plan as it turned out. A light, swirling snow made the trek north treacherous. We passed numerous accidents, spin-outs, even ambulances. Sometimes Wendy had lots of bars on her cell phone, sometimes not.

Then the anxious waiting. We got a call at 1 p.m. Labor progressing. More anxious waiting. Then close to 9 p.m. she was fully dilated and ready to deliver. Thought the next phone call would come soon. Didn't. Not till 4 a.m. did we learn that Lindsay had finally delivered a seven-pound, nine-ounce boy within the previous hour--Grant Nicholas.

Two hours later we're preparing to hit the road south. Not many people were up and at 'em this early on a bone-chilling winter's morn. Our car let us know just how cold it was with a strange whining noise, almost like a cry, when we tried to pull out of the parking lot.

"It's okay. We're going home," Wendy tried to re-assure our car. As we drove on, we could understand its distress. The thermometer on the rear view mirror recorded the outside temperature: twenty six degrees BELOW zero. That doesn't include windchill either.

But the drive home to Ann Arbor had its reward.




Ain't he a doll. And don't I look like a proud grandpa?



Now just to convince the new parents that Wendy and I would make g-r-e-a-t babysitters. Probably didn't help that their dog Simon came up missing while on our watch. Do you see him in the picture below?


Maybe from a better angle. Check out this picture.


We'll do better with a new baby. Promise.

15 Comments:

Blogger Pernicious Panda said...

Congratulations! Love the photo--you look like a natural!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

Ohhh! Congratulations to everyone!! How wonderful! It seems like just a few days ago that you broke the news of the pregnancy, and now here he is!

You do look like a proud grandpa, for sure, and he is a beautiful baby.

As for the disappearing Simon .... I don't blame him! at those temperatures, I'd be tunneling under anything I could find to keep warm, too! I don't think you have to worry about being trusted with the baby. Well, eventually. Remember how new parents are about leaving that precious bundle with ANYONE! Just be patient, Grandpa!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Congratulations and yes, she is a doll.

Of course, this means that you are now married to a grandma.

8:21 PM  
Blogger CiCi said...

Congratulations on the first grandchild. This is indeed exciting. Sounds like you didn't get much sleep and you did so much driving. Grant is a beautiful baby and I know he will be getting lots of love in your family.

3:07 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

PERNICIOUS PANDA--Thanks. I still remember what they used to tell me when I was a dad (make a cradle with your arms).

LYNILU--Somebody said that Boston Terriers are a breed that like to burrow. He does that under the bedcovers at night too. Simon seems to be content at our house though. I'm sure our new grandbaby will be too.

JAN--Hea, hea . . . it's a HE. I guess I shouldn't have said doll in the picture. Should have come up with a more masculine moniker. Handsome, I guess.

TECHNOBABE--Nope, didn't sleep too well that night. Tim Horton's coffee helped on the ride home, particularly with the temperature so cold outside. Thanks for the congratulations.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

CONGRATULATIONS GRANDPA!!! And welcome to the club!!!
He's gorgeous and precious.

As for 2 weeks early? Early runs in my family-I was a month ahead of schedule, our daughter 5-1/2 weeks and our son-6 1/2 wks.

Dylan who just turned 4 yesterday-was also a month early. Only Aidan came close to being on time at 10 days early!

Congrats and you do look like a natural.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Lovely photo of you and baby Grant and what a hazardous trip for you and your wife. Happily all is well, you didn't lose Simon and got to hold Grant.
Thanks for your comments and glad you liked the jokes - I am so lucky to have friends and relatives who send them to me. Now Wellies is short for Wellington boots in England. We call rubber boots, "gum boots" and don't use Wellies either. I'll blush while I tell you that knickers are "female's underpants"
so the little girl put hers in her pocket so the boys wouldn't see them. Sorry to be so long answering as I had visitors. Floods are receding, though some towns are still waiting for rivers to peak. Take care, my friend,
Regards, Merle.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--Guess we should have thought about early babies, but they don't happen on my side of the family.

Hea, took your advice, went out to Toys r Us when we arrived back from up north and bought a Pack n' Play. Now to put it together.

MERLE--Thanks for clarifying my language questions. Rubber boots I'm familiar with. I'm glad to hear the floods are receding over there. Maybe you won't need your boots where you're at. I did see that some residents of Victoria were having floods now.

2:33 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

Congratulations, Dave and Wendy! My advice is to begin reading aloud to the little lad as soon as possible.

He really is a lovely, handsome baby boy! I'm GREEN with envy!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

YOGA IN MIRRORMONT--I think he's a magical little guy. He wore his little Michigan hat tonight for the MSU/U of M match-up at Breslin. And something happened there that hasn't happened in quite a while. About time though.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Oh wow! What a cutie. Congratulations.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Congrats Grandpa... and to the others who had something to do with it.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though your first Grandchild was being born you STILL went up north? Gaylord must have a lot to offer in late January. Such a cute little boy.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ISABELLE--Thanks. Your turn is coming.

PETER--I've had many congratulations at work and my response often is, I didn't have much to do with it.

ANONYMOUS--Gaylord has a lot to offer if you're a snowmobiling enthusiast as a major trail intersects there. Now all I need is a snowmobile.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi again Dave ~~ Thanks for your comments and while I might get out more often than you do, I usually pay for it the next day
I can hardly move or walk and just want to stay home and have a Nana nap or two.
I am so proud of Kate who is only 23 and
has the restaurant going really well. She
makes good money, but has wages to pay,
the power and the ingredients she uses.
I hope and think she will do really well
and it was lovely to see it.
Glad you enjoyed the jokes and inspirational stories as well.
Take care, my friend, Regards, Merle.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home