Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My Blog-New and Improved!

Big Dave's Blog . . . now with digital photos.

I've always enjoyed looking at pictures while browsing blogs. There are a couple blogs where I lurk JUST to see what wonderful pictures are going to appear next. Now I'll be honest--I can't take beautiful pictures. But sometimes I know a picture would be a nice illustration for whatever I'm talking about. Hence, I bought a digital camera as my old Nikon SLR just doesn't cut it for instant website gratification.

Now what to photograph? If anyone recalls last week's blog, I was searching for Drew Barrymore's production office. And I did find it eventually. Even peeked in an office window though there wasn't much to see besides a collection of eight-by-ten glossies of actors/actresses tacked to a wall. Could have hung around and maybe snapped a quick photo of Drew herself or another star of the upcoming movie Whip It she is directing.

But I found a better subject. Check it out. Can you see it? A quarter that has been run over so many times in this parking lot that it has cemented itself to become one with the asphalt. I think it's a neat picture: "Quarter in Asphalt." Maybe my digital camera will win me a booth in the Ann Arbor Art Fair next year.




And the quarter itself? Oh, it will be mine some day. It will join all the other coins in my "found-on-the-ground-fund" cannister that my son's fiancé constructed for me some time ago. As of yet, the coin has resisted so far my feeble attempts to pry it loose. I'm sure a jackhammer would do the trick but I don't own one and I imagine they're expensive to buy or rent. Besides, this is a public school parking lot and I'm sure any desconstruction of their parking lot would draw the attention of the local constabulary. I must be discreet.


I took a second photo of some of my found-on-the-ground fund as it stands thus far. See the dollar bills? Found them at a local park. Of course, detractors of my hobby claim they were probably lost by two young children whose mother gave them the dollars to be spent on candy at a nearby store. Then they lost them as they played inthe park. Too bad. Candy causes cavities anyway.



Propped up next to the cannister is one of my latest finds--a rupee! Big Dave's found-on-the-ground fund has gone international. I'll have to check it out. I may be able to exchange the rupee into American dollars and retire already.

Speaking of international, it appears from my sitemeter that I have some regular visitors from overseas: Italy, Ireland, etc. Can I come visit? Don't let the moniker "Big Dave" scare you. I eat light. Now that I have a decent digital camera, I need to find some better digs to photograph. I've heard it's pretty in Ireland and Italy. Who knows? I might come up with a better picture than a quarter in asphalt.

17 Comments:

Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Big Dave ~ High-tech digital photos on Big Dave's Blog? What’s next? Can we expect VIDEOS and music from you next? ~ jb///
P.S. I am glad I don't live in Italy or Ireland! Or I'd might have to buy a lock for the refrigerator!

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave's dad here.
Dave we are going up north in th morning.
I noticed that your coins might need some cleaning,hej! I can do it, and I won,t use battery acid this time.
Dad

4:21 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

Oh Dave, why haven't you asked WEndy about the Quarter in Asphalt? Any woman knows that you can do almost anything with a nail file? Go for it, Big Guy! Keep up the good work with the new camera. Aren't there any flowers in Ann Arbor?

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, a quarter in the asphalt. Doesn't get anymore exciting then that.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

personally, I think that you were able to get the digital picture and download it into the computer and then onto the site is very impressive Dave-don't let these sassy naysayers have you think anything otherwise. I like asphalt and quarters.

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh what I would have given to see all the hours you put in to try and pry that quarter loose!

Did I read that right? "peeked in an office window"?! Geez Dad even the paparazzi know to take photos at a safe distance. Next time I read the Reporter the headline will be, "Barrymore Moves Studio Due To Harassment From Local Citizen".

8:34 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LZ BLOGGER--My digital camera DOES take video too. So movies are not out of the question.

DAD--Yeah, I remember how you cleaned one of my coins with battery acid and it didn't come out so good. Wasn't it a gold coin minted in the late 1700s to commemorate Washington's inauguration? My memory's a little fuzzy.

KACEY--Yeah, they have flowers around here. I don't know how cool it would look for a big guy like myself to be taking pictures of flowers though.

ANONYMOUS--Well, there are probably things more exciting than finding a quarter in asphalt. Maybe finishing first in fantasy football.


CARINE--Thanks, Carine. At the end of the summer I'm going to count up my found-on-the-ground fund. Won't be any naysayers then I dare say.

JOHN--I haven't really tried to pry yet. And I was on my bike on the sidewalk near Drew's office. On an early Sunday morning too, so nobody was around. As long as they don't read my blog they'll never know.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave, I think Dad and the ENforcer are trying to make fun of you.....

You need to start carrying around a screwdriver so you can pry up any change that you find. Do you have one of those pocket knives that has a screwdriver on it? That would work..

TF puts all of the change, that is left at the end of the day, into a jar and we hide it from the kids. At the end of the year we count it up and put it in the vacation fund.

Glad you got a new digital camera.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

You write a lot about money, don't you? Do you think about it that much or is a subconscious thing that happens? Just wondering.

I hope you get the quarter out of the pavement. I suspect you're gonna spend more time and effort than seems logical for a quarter. I mean, Dave, it's a q.u.a.r.t.e.r. But you do what makes you happy, and perhaps the quarter the the rupee will lead you to eternal happiness.

LOL!

Now, I'm glad you're posting pictures. I suspect it will lead to a lot of fun! ;)

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW. photos and nice ones. Great to see you spiff up your blog with new things.. You almost have enough saved up for a gallon of gas?? hehhhe Nice tablecloth too!
(freak for tablecloths..)
Hope you have a great day! Stay cool :8

6:42 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Hey, there's nothing wrong with pictures of flowers, especially exotic ones like thistle and dandelion.

Nice job on getting the camera, Dave. You're doing nice work.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LUCY--I don't usually carry a knife. BTW, I think my dad and the enforcer do carry pocket knives, but they never find any money like I do. And they try too. Ha! Maybe they're just envious.

LYNILU--Finding coins on the ground to me is like treasure to a pirate. Argggh!

CAROLEE--Yes, you nailed what I plan to do with my money. A tank of gas it is.

HOSS--My flowers are starting to wilt in the late summer seat and aridity (word?) I'll have to shoot quickly.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

I agree with you about the pictures. I love to lurk on the sites that feature daily photos from major cities. I'm a visual learner (as you can probably tell by my blog) so the more pictures, the more I'm interested.

Nice new look!

4:05 PM  
Blogger 2bme said...

I also love to take pictures but never really take anything special - I've been trying to take a picture of a hummingbird that comes to the feeder on my porch but as soon as I lift the camera on -- it flies away.

I did take some great pictures with my Sony 7.2 in Italy when I was there, some are even hanging in my Internist office (she'd just started a practice and I felt bad for her bland empty walls. She says she gets alot of compliments on them.

Ireland is beautiful and stunningly green but the weather can be bad for your lungs....lots of mist. Good for the skin though.

Good luck with your new camera.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

FRED--Well, my brother-in-law checked out my new digital camera and tried to take a movie with it, something I hadn't even read about in the instruction manual. Now the memory's full and I have to figure out how to fix it before I can take and upload any new pictures.

SIMPLY ME--I like green, as long as it doesn't have anything to do with our archrival Michigan State. Some day I'd like to get to Ireland.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave - Tell Wendy that you would like a pocket knife for Christmas. You absolutely have a legidimate reason to have one now.

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geeze, I've been away for awhile and YOU know why (yes, I'm finally crawling out of that contest mess) and you go all tech on me!
Once again, I chuckled my way through your post. Especially the part about the kids losing the money at the park.......lol
LOVE your new photos! I can only imagine what that camera will capture to share here with us, your devoted readers.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home