Saturday, September 02, 2006

Dognaps Here And There

Just past the witching hour last night I was awakened by a noise in our house--the kind of sound which immediately and fully wakes you because you sense something isn't normal.

To me, it resembled the lock popping and the front door opening downstairs, though what you think you hear in your sleep is often just a guess. Of course, our miniature "watch dog" was nowhere to be found.

So I sat up in bed. More rustling. Was our son coming home from college a day early this Labor Day weekend? Unlikely. Much too quiet for that. I rose and entered the upstairs hallway, quickly switching on the light there.

Peeking downstairs, I saw the front door closed. Whew! Then I heard more odd muffled noises. They were coming from our older son's bedroom down the hallway. Though he had long moved out, it was still a minefield of old clothes and sundry other items in there.

When I fully opened the door, I saw our little poodle mutt Doogie making himself comfortable among the empty video boxes and a comforter on the floor. He looked at me indifferently as if to say, "What!"

Why can't that dog pick a place to sleep and stick to it? He sleeps in our bed, under our bed, down the basement, on our younger son's bed, on the family room floor, and on and on, all in one day and night. Rattling around to make a nest in Greg's empty room was a first, however.

Doogie takes "Mi Casa Es Tu Casa" way too literally, especially for a dog. My wife Wendy said Doogie was excitedly prancing around her Lazy Boy recliner one day. Wasn't hungry. Didn't want to go out. So she motioned him to jump up and share her seat with him.

That settled him for a bit. Then he jumped back down, dancing again while appealing to Wendy with his big dark eyes. She realized Doogie wanted HER to leave so he lie down and stretch out on the Lazy Boy himself.

Maybe in his little way he's campaigning for a doggie bed for Christmas.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who did you say ruled the house there Dave?

4:11 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Well I'm glad that's ALL IT WAS! I'd start saving up for the Christmas present now! ~ jb///

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doogies sounds so sweet. And I'd bet ya anything....if you get that bed....he'll sleep one night in it and find himself another spot. Sounds like he's the canine version of Goldie Locks.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Kacey said...

Poodle-type Doogies are very smart little dogs! Perhaps you could stick a sign out in front of yur house that says, "Doogie slept here, and here , and there and wherever he doggone wanted to!"

1:39 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Doggie bed? Does he really need another one? Your doggie sounds like our cat, she will sleep anywhere.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great way to build suspense; you had me on the edge of my seat.

Deb from A Simple Country Girl

7:31 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

http://images.footballfanatics.com/productImages/_103000/FF_103523_l.jpg

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's try again, because I care deeply:

http://images.footballfanatics.com/productImages/_103000/FF_103523_l.jpg

11:37 PM  
Blogger Sideways Chica said...

Sounds like little Doogie likes to share the love! I had a cat like this once...and he thought he was a dog. I think little Doogie might like his own bed for Christmas, but you and your family may need to take time to snuggle it it so that it is appealing enough for his seemingly sophisticated napping palette.

Cioa dude...have a great week. Great post.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

That actually sounds like our cats. These two cannot ever be satisfied with having enough sleeping spots. I actually caught one napping on the top shelf in my clothes closet once. She did this several times until I finally decided I had to install a hook lock on the door, because she only does this when I'm away at work or school; ONLY in my side of the closet.

We also keep the vaccuum bag industry alive, as well, due to the fact that I'm constantly having to suck up their offspring they leave behind on the furniture. I love my pets, but jeez, they sleep every but their own place.

Don't get Doogie a bed, Dave . . . it'll be a futile purchase. :)

11:28 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

I just love the Doogie doggie stories!

2:25 PM  
Blogger poopie said...

Sounds a lot like my little rat terrier mutt, Butterbean. Diva to the max.

2:32 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

You happened to know what color he wants for a mattress? This might be crucial.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My little girl decided that she cant sleep in her own bed without her schnoodle. Now that dog barely lets her have enough room to sleep. Take over the bed would be an understatement!

6:16 PM  
Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

motherkitty and I have decided we're both nuts with our animals. I think you can join our club. We treat our pets like our 4 legged kids and they sure have our number. Isn't it amazing how they train us? But I think they give as much love back as we give them. There's nothing like coming home after work and getting greeted by the dogs and cats. They are sooo happy to see us.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a large Maine Coon cat that leads me through my entire morning. And heaven forbid it I change the schedule. He just can't settle for his day-long nap till I've done everything and done it right.

Cas
Who can resist soulful eyes?

7:58 AM  
Blogger molly said...

I love dog stories. My dog, Callie, sometimes tries to sleep with me. On my head. All 70 lbs. of her.

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww, Doogie needs a comfy place to sleep too. Especially at his age, you should indulge the little beastie.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I'd be that way too if all I had to do all day (and all night) is sleep. Variety is the spice of life, after all!

10:20 PM  
Blogger amarkonmywall said...

Morning, Dave. Right now I would trade a happy prancing Doogie for two irritable felines pacing the the perimeters of this city townhouse wondering why they can't go out.

It was a good game, yes? Do you ever worry that you and Miss B have a relationship totally based on football rivalry? Tee-hee.

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home