Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thankful And No

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone out there in the blogosphere. This week I'm going to do the traditional turkey day blog and list what I'm thankful for this year. But then I'm going to switch gears and expound on what I'm not so thankful for as well.

I'm thankful for . . .

The smiles I get from my grandson Grant. And I'm getting more lately too. I thought he used to hate me. Maybe he's coming around.

Brady Hoke, the new Michigan football coach. Big Ten football has become more respectable in A2 this year thanks to him. A big win over Nebraska last week was particularly "sweet", a favorite word from my number one son's vocabulary. Greg is an usher for the home games in the Big House.

Fantasy football. It's free, it's fun and it's our family coming together from the four winds to participate.

Our local Tim Horton's. Their coffee is good and their assembly line service at the drive-up window is a model for any fast food restaurant anywhere.

My bosses at work. It's not often you get supervisors and managers who are so considerate of their employees and who so value the work they do. And I'm not saying that because they read my blog. They don't (at least I don't think they do).


What I'm NOT thankful for . . .

Commercials on TV. I have a hard time watching shows anymore that have ten minutes of programing and five minutes of commercials. And that seems to be the norm.

Inattentive drivers. Twice this year I was biking across a crosswalk with the "walk" sign when a driver making a left turn nearly blindsided me. If I hadn't been looking out . . . And don't get me started on those folks ahead of me who are on the phone, tuning the radio, or otherwise out to lunch when the green arrow lights up for the traffic to move. And they don't!

My balky computer of late. I know it's probably too many videos and pictures of my grandson on here. But it's also spam, ads, and even this Blogger program that insists I sign on to Google to post my comments, then gives me an error message and wipes out everything I just did. ARRGGGHHHHHH.

Those newfangled corkscrew light bulbs. Sure, they don't use as much energy, because they cast hardly any light. It's like living in a dark cave with those things. Didn't we move beyond cave dwelling a couple hundred thousand years ago?

Cold weather. I just don't understand what God was thinking when he invented cold weather. There just seems to be no need for it in my mind.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I just don't understand what God was thinking when he invented cold weather."

It's to weed out the old people.

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uuuhhh.... I didn't like that comment B D D

9:22 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

Total agreement with you. And when I sign in Google pretends sometimes that it doesn't remember my password.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

just said the "smile" comment about my grandsons to my daughter yesterday Dave!

everyone knows how I hate the cold-one of the main reasons I'm holding out as a resident of the Golden State.

Happy Thanksgiving and may you have a whole lot of smiles coming at you from Grant!

10:09 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ANONYMOUS--Yeah, the snow birds go south to Florida where they're hit by cars while crossing the busy streets down there.

ANONYMOUS--I think that was Jimmy. Do you play him again in fantasy football? Let me check. Yes, you do! Next week. Time for revenge. Knock him out of the play-offs.

JAN--That's funny. Your blog always seems to know me when I come there. That's not the case with some other blogs I frequent.

CARINE--There are days when I wish I lived in a warmer clime too. But then I wouldn't get to see my grandson smile nearly as much.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Debbie said...

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Dave! I've moved my blog to here: debbieroppolo.weebly.com/blog.html

I couldn't get my problems fixed with Wordpress.

6:23 AM  
Blogger B.S. said...

Thanks for letting me know the outcome of the big game. Go Blue indeed. Football has become almost an embarrassment here, as you might imagine. But as of today we have a new superhero taking over the team, so we're saved now. Yeah.

And I'm with you on the corkscrew light bulbs. Do not, I repeat DO NOT break one of those things. If you do, you will have created a hazardous waste site. I know this from personal nightmarish experience.

Hugs,
Betty

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home