Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Meeting My Congressman


Happy belated Valentine's Day. Check out the pizza. Heart-shaped! Can you think of a better Valentine's Day present? My wife Wendy got one of these pizzas from her supervisors for a job well done. And she shared it with me. How sweet!

But that's not what I wanted to talk about today. In the "I'll do anything for blog material" I went to our Congressman's meet and greet at a local restaurant this past Saturday.

Congressman Tim Walberg, a Republican, lost his seat in the House of Representatives two years ago, but won it back in a hotly contested election this past November. He said it was the most expensive race in the country. I don't doubt it. Gots tons of robo-calls and political flyers at my home, the price of living in a swing district.

So about 30 of his constituents gathered to hear what he had to say and ask a few questions. I'll be honest. I was hoping for a little controversy, maybe some heated exchanges, something newsworthy that I could report here.

But I was disappointed for the most part. When our prior Congressman, a Democrat, tried to have town hall meetings in our district he was roundly booed and heckled to the point where he decided to have his town hall meetings over the phone with little advance notice. Walberg had it easier. When he spoke, it was more like a revival meeting with one or two people repeating key words out loud or just shouting out their agreement.

His message was the one I expected--we need to cut the cost of government and loosen regulations to encourage job growth.

Okay, so I've heard it before. Let's take some questions. One woman said she had several comments that she had written down on a cheat sheet.

"Comment number one . . .

Did you ever have a kid in one of your classes who monopolized the class and teacher's time to the point where you just want to stand up and yell, "Shut up!" That was this lady. I think her first comment had to do with placing a ten-page limit on bills introduced to become law.

Comment number two . . .

But my eyes soon glazed over as she went down her list. I became more interested in checking out the police officer in the front of the room. After what happened to Gabby Giffords in Arizona, our Congressman was bringing along a little security. Walberg said he originally entered Congression with the same freshman class that brought Giffords and recalls her extraordinary fitness, something that is working in her favor as she recuperates from that tragic shooting.

"Comment number four. [pause] Just a minute, I can't read what I wrote here. Let me go on . . .

Comment number six . . . "

Dang, where are those hecklers when you need them?

10 Comments:

Blogger Lynilu said...

Well, YOU could have heckled.

Jes' sayin'.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ That was some cute pizza.
Congrats on trying to lose some weight. That is not easy to do.
As for your blogging blank at present
How about some early memories from your childhood or how and where you and Wendy met. Only a couple of suggestions.
Glad you liked my purple flowers and everyone liked the color of them. Happily most of the bad weather has gone and hope that is for good, we have had more than enough. Glad you liked the jokes. Take care my friend, Regards, Merle

10:28 PM  
Blogger CiCi said...

The pizza is a good idea and nice that Wendy's boss gave one to her.
I don't know much about your congressman except when it concerns pollution of the environment; but it was nice of him to speak kindly about Giffords and not make jokes like some people have done.Did you attend some of the town hall meetings with the former congressman? Are you still exercising and working on weight loss? The weather for a few days was nice here so hubby rode his bike but I just could not because it was still too cold for me.

4:00 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LYNILU--I could have but who knows what the policewoman was looking for, and she was eyeing me up anyway.

MERLE--I should have put up a story how Wendy and I met, true. That would have made a cute Valentine's Day story. Another time perhaps.

TECHNOBABE--No, never got to attend any of my former Congressman's town hall meetings. He ran afoul of the tea party crowd pretty quickly, and he stayed under the radar after that. I'm going in the right direction on the scale finally but that pizza didn't help.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

so Dave, my mother-in-law was with you I take it????

I too covered a story here that had a representative from both the local assemblyman and state senator's offices. One was very nice-the other, was sure full of himself.

But it was a very nice afternoon-nothing like the one you described.

Sorry, we try our best to keep her away from public viewing.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--So that sounds like your mother-in-law? I just didn't think it fair that she took up so much time when others wanted to contribute as well. They did have a state representative there also and it would have been interesting to hear him as we have major budget issues here in Michigan as I'm sure they have in your state.

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you get a kindle yet? It'll change your life and you can thank me later. What a Casanova you are Mr. Blogger. What did you do for the wife on V-Day? I'm sure it was breakfast in bed, Roses, Chocolates, Gifts, dinner at her favorite restaurant and on and on and on.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

No time for politics! More stories about Wendy, your long-suffering better half!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ANONYMOUS--No kindle yet. Sounds high tech and I don't do high tech. Didn't really do Valentine's Day this year either. We went out to Red Lobster a couple days prior so that comprised our celebration.

YOGA IN MIRRORMONT--I have to be careful with stories about the missus cause she thinks I have a "big mouth" as it is. I'll probably get into trouble just saying that much.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Thanks for not saying "Thank goodness" and for "Is that all there is to this post?"

I had that Attorney joke on my list, but thought I had posted enough of them. My eyesight isn't too good lately so I make more mistakes typing
But hope I find most of them.

Take care my friend, Regards, Merle.

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home