Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Ah, Spring. TV Time!

I just finished doing my homework here. I'm learning about the Terriers, the Bearkats, the Gaels and the Spiders. No, not characters in a children's book. They're basketball teams in the NCAA tournament which starts this week. I'll be watching more b-ball on TV the next few weeks than I watch in a year.

What I learned is that none of the above teams is likely to make it very far. Makes sense since even the nicknames aren't likely to leave opponents terror-stricken. Well, maybe spiders, but you just have to step on them.

No, my favorite Michigan Wolverines didn't make it this year. Our cross-state rival Michigan State Spartans did, however, and their fans are becoming more obnoxious over their recent athletic success.

Two MSU fans separately have counted out the numbers of days since a Michigan team last beat Michigan State in basketball or football. Numbers in the hundreds, I guess.

Here is how one of my "buddies" put it in an e-mail: "The Spartans haven't lost to Michigan in basketball or football in something like 870 days. Care to comment? Sure I can rephrase that. The Spartans have kicked Wolverine ass solidly for the last nearly three years."

Obnoxious, right? My response:

"Why is MSU enjoying a mini-run against their big brothers in football and basketball? Need you ask? Look around you. You have to see this in a historical perspective. We're having global catastrophes the scope that hasn't been seen before, financial collapse, rioting in the streets, . . . it's the apocalypse, duh."

Well, back to my studies here. I hope to have my NCAA bracket complete by tomorrow. I'm looking up "Gaels" in the dictionary. "A Celt of the Scottish highlands."

I don't think they even play basketball in the Scottish highlands. Put them down as a first-round loser.

My bracket group is comprised of family members, the same family members that comprised our fantasy football league this past fall. I didn't win this past fall, although I also had a fantasy football team in my separate money league that took first place there.

So I took that team's nickname, the Viking Overlords, and used it to name my entry in the NCAA bracket challenge. Go with a proven fantasy winner, right? Let me look up Overlords in the dictionary.

"One who is lord over another or others; a superior lord; a master."

If I weren't so modest, I'd say that described me to a t.

8 Comments:

Blogger CiCi said...

Oh Master Overlord, you reign!!

8:40 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

LOL-a master and lord. I know you're fantastic Dave, may you takeover and rule to your heart's content.
You're studying all this? May I presume you'll then be writing a book on your findings? An article for your newspaper?

1:40 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Football (rugby league is what I follow) started here last weekend, so nail-biting time begins!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

TECHNOBABE--Thanks. That'll be something I never hear in person, trust me.

CARINE--We need better writers for our local newspaper. It's terrible. Can I give them your name?

LEE--I've watched a couple women's rugby matches here locally. Those ladies have my respect. Tough, tough sport.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Nankin said...

Viking Overlords? What a great name. Just don't do too much pillaging and burning.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

NANKIN--The only pillaging and burning has been to my NCAA bracket picks. I picked Kansas to win it all and they just lost. Darn.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

Viking Overlord:

Are you great enough to write a post about the last second of the SPARTAN/Terrapin game?

I'll help you out with some adjectives because I know you're busy in fantasy land: fierce, impassioned, adept, dexterous, perspicacious, agile, breakneck, dominating, abrupt, swift...

6:35 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

YOGA IN MIRRORMONT--How about lucky? I watched the game. Was at a St. Patrick's Day party up in Bay City at my nephew's with a large raucous bunch, very much a pro-MSU crowd. When the Spartans frittered away a 16-point lead in the second half, my brother the "enforcer" took off, fearing that MSU was going to choke (again). But great shot, great game to watch. Kudos to them.

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home