Tuesday, March 02, 2010

The Joy Of Tax

Is it just me or are taxes getting more complicated each year? I've been wrestling with our tax returns lately. What's the deal with this "Making Work Pay" deduction? Why do we have to fill out a separate attachment to get this deduction? Isn't that why I'm filling out a return . . . because I worked in 2009? If I hadn't worked, then I wouldn't be filling out a return. HelLO people!

The attachment just should be called the "Make Work" form. Just makes it more work to do my taxes. Sheesh.

This is the first year BOTH my sons decided to fill out their own taxes instead of having dad do them. I did ask my younger son Scott to let me review his taxes before he submitted them to the IRS. He didn't think that was necessary . . . until his federal return was rejected. Now he is submitting an amended return and asking me what the difference is between a 1099 and a W-2.

My other son Greg is faring better though I got a phone call from him, he being a bit disturbed that his preliminary figures showed him owing the feds several hundred dollars. "That can't be right," I said and asked him to read me his figures over the phone.

About 20 seconds later I discovered that he made a subtraction error, taking a $1,400 standard deduction instead of the $11,400 deduction he was entitled to. A $10,000 subtraction error is bound to throw your figures off a bit.

So now back to my taxes. I want every deduction I am entitled to. That includes the $140 I spent insulating my attic. I was sure I read somewhere that I could deduct that. But reviewing every line and direction on my 1040A booklet, I couldn't find it. So I Googled. Turns out I need to file an additional form for that.

Just for $140?? Argghhhh!

I took a walk to the local library which stocks all the pertinent tax forms, federal and state, I might use. But they had run out of the form for the home energy credit. A note said an additional supply was being ordered. Argghhh!

After waiting a couple weeks, I returned to the library and this time the form was in. Woo hoo!

Back to my taxes, I filled out the appropriate form, claimed my insulation deduction, then saw a note saying to attach it to my 1040. What, can't I attach to my 1040A? Apparently not. I need to fill out a 1040, which I don't have. Back to the library. Argghhh!

Is there a form we can fill out for the aggravation this is all costing us? I'm campaigning for a "Make Aggravation Pay" deduction for next year.

15 Comments:

Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

my husband is good at the tax stuff-I'm hopeless w/ numbers Dave. But we agreed when we ran the pre-school, let a pro do the work.
Adam let his sister do them last year for him, but now that he has the condo, he and Sam went straight to our accountant-no sense tempting fate.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Uncle Sam said...

"Now he is submitting an amended return and asking me what the difference is between a 1099 and a W-2."

Nope. He did not.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

I haven't done my own taxes in yeeeeeears. My husband was self-employed, than later I was. It was just too confusing. I think next year I will be able to with moving, sales of home, purchase of home, death issues, etc. far enough behind. At least I hope so.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--I think if we ran a business, I would get an accountant too.

UNCLE SAM--That's what I recall explaining in an e-mail. Now I'll probably get a comment from your brother complaining too.

LYNILU--I've always done my taxes though there hasn't been anything too complicated. I even remember doing my parents' taxes when I was in high school.

3:53 AM  
Blogger CiCi said...

My brother is like you, he fills out his own tax forms. Takes a long time and lots of expletives, but he gets it finished in time. Not me. Never. It gets my blood pressure up just reading about all that you are going through to accomplish the required by law torture.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

Can I call you when I'm ready to do my taxes? I always say I'm not going to wait until the last minute...but I always do.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

TECHNOBABE--Your brother must be like me. Just can't stand to pay more money to file taxes. It's like a tax on a tax.

NANKIN--I've never waited till the last minute, but probably because I usually get a refund. Not much this time though.

3:45 AM  
Anonymous Enforcer said...

Don't forget to claim all that money you one in FF league.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ENFORCER--I looked and looked for something in the instructions that said where to report "fantasy football" winnings. Couldn't find anything. But I would have reported my pay-out if I'd found out how to do it.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Thanks for your comments. Sorry your tax seems such a hassle for you. They don't make it easy.
I think a stress test on a treadmill would kill me - even the thought is frightening. I hope Wendy's crockpot meal was delicious. I make a few
meals out of a can of tomatoes, couple trays of diced chicken onions capsicum (bell pepper) handful frozen peas, and corn any other veggies and cook on low overnight, or for 4 or 5 hours on High. Mushrooms and a jar of Sweet & Sour chicken. Easy & yummy.
Take care, my friend, Regards,
Merle.

2:54 AM  
Anonymous caroldee said...

LORDIE Dave.. we all can just go nuts trying to figure them all out..one part of the year I hate!!
:(

10:10 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave, good luck getting everything filled out... I hate doing taxes...

4:02 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

MERLE--MMmmmmmm, that does sound good. Wendy's pork shoulder came out good in the crockpot too. That was enough for two dinners.

CAROLDEE--Almost done. Maybe this week. We ran into a glitch with our IRA. Found out a cashier's check isn't the same as cash, at least for the bank.

LUCY--I think I'd hate it more if I had to go all through this only to pay in. Luckily I'll get a few dollars back.

3:45 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

When Uncle Sam comes a-knocking, his knock is one you can't ignore!

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave FF earnings fall under other income. And you can write off what it cost to do your taxes if you buy a program, or have someone do them for you.

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home