Tuesday, March 09, 2010

A Visit With Grandma

I took some flak for last week's blog from a couple people who thought I embellished the truth a little bit. Me? Exaggerate?? Pshaw.

It's not the first time, of course. When I've been challenged in the past on my recollection of events here on this blog, my patent response is, "That's what I recall." I mean, nobody's memory is infallible, right?

Maybe I take after my grandmother a bit in that regard. I visited her this past weekend and she still delights in recounting stories from her youth, many filled with the details of drama and irony of that mark most of a century.

In fact, when I asked my grandmother how old she is as I wasn't too sure, she told me that she's now a hundred years old. That might be a slight exaggeration. I believe she's closer to 98. But when you're up there that far in years, I guess you're entitled to round off.

Some of her other stories may "round off" a detail or two as well. But like my stories, it's obviously what she recalls. And her mind is still sharp. I was told that she might have difficulty remembering me. My sister commented to me recently during a visit that my grandmother couldn't remember her at first. And later she remembered my sister visiting her with "some Marine." That was my sister's husband who was in the Marines more than a couple decades ago.

But as my wife Wendy and I prepared to drive the 100 miles north to Bay City, I was more worried that my grandma might have a comment on my largesse, since I might have put on a few pounds since our last visit. That was about a year ago and I remember being thinner then after all the walking I did on vacation in London. That's what I recall anyway.

Wendy helped me pick out some clothes that would make me look thinner. Then, up in Bay City, father and I drove over to my grandmother's residence (Madonna lived there at one time) which is an assisted living facility.

As we entered her room, grandma was sitting by the window, looking very dapper in a dark brown fleece jacket and white top. She looked at me, then at my father, then at me again. I wasn't sure she recognized either of us, but some of that may be due to her eyesight which she said hasn't been that good lately. Finally, I said, "It's Dave."

Then she remembered. Looking me over more closely now, she said, "You put on a little weight." *sigh* Couldn't she have just rounded off?

14 Comments:

Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

leave it to a grandma Dave! My own had a "whisper" voice that people across the country could hear! She also hated my glasses. One day I said hello and went to go study-she said to my mom in her petite volume "Carine's still wearing her glasses, that's awful, she'll never get a boy that way."

LOL-seems she was wrong.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

Now that's one benefit of growing older. I can't wait till I feel I can speak my mind and get away with it!! LOL!

Your grandma sounds like a hoot, Dave!

7:44 AM  
Blogger CiCi said...

I like the idea of rounding off the number of years we have been here! I can round off and shave some off at the same time! Your Wendy sounds like a jewel. Helping your pick out clothes to look slimmer is an act of love and I like her more and more. Your grandma still alive is in itself amazing (all of mine passed on when I was quite young). And then that at her age she recognized you at all and she remembered your last visit is so cool. High five, Grandma!!

7:50 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--You can't really argue with your grandma. Just better to smile and nod. I remember arguing with my grandma about politics when I was in high school. That was a no-no.

LYNILU--Me too. Can't wait for the day when I can post anything on my blog and nobody will hassle me for it.

TECHNOBABE--All my grandparents lived to be fairly old, at least mid 80s. My living grandmother still has an older living sister too.

9:29 AM  
Blogger CiCi said...

My mother is 88 and of her ten siblings she is one of 5 still alive.
Her parents died when I was young and my paternal grandparents died when I was very little. I'm a little bit jealous you have a grandma. Big sigh.

4:42 AM  
Anonymous cassie-b said...

Seems like she remembers some things just fine!

Cas

10:37 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

TECHNOBABE--I still miss my grandparents who have passed away. When I think of them, I'm reminded of younger days.

CASSIE--I think her mind is still pretty sharp.

3:50 AM  
Anonymous Enforcer said...

I guess her eyesight's not that bad!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

What's a couple of years (or pounds) between friends - and Grandmas?

4:27 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ENFORCER--At least I went to visit. When did you see grandma last?

LEE--Right on, Lee. That's what I say.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Trust Grandma to notice a slight weight gain. She sounds great and both of you should never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
I hope the rain has eased on on you.As for the Aussie thingo, I wasn't too sure of some of them but will explain a couple for you. Our country is 'girt' by sea meaning surrounded.
Dazza & Shazza played Acca Dacca on the way to Maccas. Daryl and Cheryl played AC/DC (music)on the way to Maccas.
I am sure you will sleep better for knowing those things.
Take care, my friend, Regards, Merle.

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

12:46 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

I just hope we're as sharp when we reach that golden age. My mother-in-law barely knows who she is.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Murr Brewster said...

When I'm that age I'll just settle for knowing where the bathroom is. I'll bet my family will, too.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home