Wednesday, July 23, 2008

On Star Alert

No, I'm not going to discuss GM's vehicle navigation aid. I'm referring to my eagerness to do some star-spotting within my own community. Drew Barrymore's studio has set up shop near Ann Arbor, reportedly within a reasonable bike ride from my home. Ordinarily I'm not a movie star aficionado, but having celebrities suddenly amongst us can send a ripple of excitement through even average folk like myself.

The movie that Drew has chosen for her directorial debut is Whip It, a movie about a young woman's foray into the roller derby world. The cast includes Drew, Ellen Page (from Juno fame), and Juliette Lewis among the more recognizable names. They will be filming around southeast Michigan over the next month or so. Already I hear rumors of one or another actor/actress being spotted at various local restaurants.

Yesterday I took a bike ride around a couple commercial areas but didn't spot any signs for Flower Films, the name of Drew's production company. Of course, I really didn't expect to see any either. Movie moguls don't often publicize the location of their production offices and shooting locations, I imagine to avoid the local paparazzi and curious would-be gawkers, uh, like myself I guess. I do have some clues including some on-line pictures reportedly taken outside her office here. So I'm on it. My bike tires are pumped up and I need the exercise anyway.

I guess I could just apply to become one of the thousands of extras they expect to use in the film. But in the casting call that initially appeared in our local newspaper, they said they were looking for young, punk-rocker types--like those with spiked or pink hair, tattoos, or multiple piercings. Makes me wonder why they set up shop in the genteel Ann Arbor area when they could have moved across the state towards Michigan State University in East Lansing and be awash with those kind of characters.

Then this week, another call went out. They're looking for a balding, older roller blader who can sign. Hmmmmm, now we're talking. I'm older. Not exactly balding I am, but I could borrow my wife's razor (I don't think my electric would do the job). Anybody know how quickly I could learn American sign language? I've never roller-bladed either but how hard can that be.

My name in lights? I'm starting to picture it already.

P.S. Thanks to Terri for choosing my blog for the Brillante Weblog award as one of her favorite blogs. I tried to import the icon to my sidebar here, but failed. I'll never win any awards for my internet proficiency.

14 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Part of Back to the Future I think it was 3 was filmed near where I lived at the time. I tried to be cool about it, but we all lined up like a meat market to get chosen. I was, but didn't make the final version.-

3:25 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

Oh Boy, Dave....I can't wait to see you on the big screen! We were driving about in Berlin today, but they have removed the festive toilet paper streamers that they had up for your visit to Amish country. The daughter and I find the area much changed since our last visit. We're thinking the demise of country decor has really cut into the local economy. We did buy Swiss cheese and beef sticks out at Broadrun Cheese and Wine House. Honey Run is still peaceful and wonderful, but way more expensive than it used to be. But, our windows are open, the birds are chirping and tiny squirrels are zipping around in the trees three feet away.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

Heck, I don't know what you're so excited about. I get several offers every day to be an extra. OK, so the offers are in my spam folder. OK, so they don't really name me specifically. OK, so you're a lot closer to the possibility than I am. Send me an invite to the red carpet premier, would you?

Despite our nonchalance and/or disdain for the celebrities, we do get curious when they are in our proximity, don't we? I hope you see one, just so you can say you did!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Wow Dave, you could be famous...If you could only roller blade and do sign language....lol.

Maybe they will put out a call for a Grandfatherly type on a bike...It does sound like fun.

3:12 AM  
Blogger Babette said...

I'm signing, rather than typing, most of this comment because I can't trust myself to be genteel just now.

My 15 month old grandson has already learned to sign many things, so that might be too much of a challenge for you, Dave. Of course, he has already begun reading the Great Books, as well:
http://www.collegegear.com/sf/stores/1037/p-171460.shtml

8:52 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave, turn the sound on.....he is singing to the puppies to put them to sleep.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

JAN--Wasn't BTF 3 the one that took place in an old west town? Don't feel bad. Even Kevin Costner's debut (in the Big Chill) ended up on the cutting room floor.

KACEY--I remember Honey Run advertising a bird watching hike on one of their nature trails. I would have liked to have done that.

LYNILU--Actually, I don't even get offers to be an extra in my spam folder. And I get hundreds of spam there.

LUCY--I think every film needs a grandfatherly type riding a bike. Maybe I could work this into a career.

BABETTE--I see, the 'great book' is a picture book of the MSU campus. I'd prefer my grandkids read "Heart of a Champion" by U of M's Bo Schembechler. I don't think MSU publishes a comparable book.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And to think - I knew you when!

My name in lights is not much of a possiblity

1:09 PM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

Huh. Well, my life is obviously more exciting than yours. That is pathetic!!!

LOL!!

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOO HOO..I heard about those being filmed just didn't know where they all are. I was in great hopes that MICH. could become the movie making Capital of the EAST..Wouldn't that give us a boost in economy. Hope you get to rub elbows with the stars. IF You do we better get the pics!! take care : )

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG a digital camera FINALLY.. YOU GO DAVE .. seek out brave new worlds okay!!! : )

5:28 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

how exciting Dave-just the thought of your name in lights! You Go For IT!!
Seeking out new found areas of interest makes you famous in my thoughts.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CASSIE--My name in lights is not such a possibility either. Sometimes my fantasizing gets out of hand.


LYNILU--Well, you know my idea of excitement is finding a quarter when I'm riding my bike. That tells you something right there.

CAROLDEE--My digital camera is already a week old and it's just sat there in the box. I can't find the time to figure out how to use it. I HAVE figured out where Drew & company's studio office is. Now if I can only figure out how to take a picture . . .

CARINE--Famous in your thoughts may be all I get in this life. Some days I think I'm such a late bloomer it'll be the next life before I make anything out of myself.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

We have several celeberties in our family, and trust me, they're extremely full of themselves. But I suppose it could be fun to see a movie made..

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home