Thursday, December 20, 2007

An Ode To Glogg*

I bought some glogg
for Xmas, I said.
The family was agog.
Why not egg nog?

I should have known better
than start this dialog.
But egg nog’s so cliché
like summer's hot dog.

A toast of glogg over the burning yule log
would be tasty and fun, like slop to a hog.
And glogg was non-alcoholic,
unlike its cousin, the grog.

But the family was angry;
they were fit to flog,
if I should disavow
their traditional egg nog

Yet glogg is from Sweden, of the ice and the fog,
where Santa sleeps, and reindeer clog.
I said we could eat, drink and be merry like Santa himself,
till we were ripe with glee, and fat as a frog.

They said that’s fine for Big Dave;
he can drink his old glogg.
But for the rest of the fam,
we will stick with egg nog.

So there’s nothing to do
'cept an epilog—
a poem, a lament,
or maybe a . . .


Merry Christmas!

* Oops. Blame it on the holiday rush. It's spelled glogg, not glog. Not only that, glogg rhymes with oog as in our dog Doog. Oh, well. I did say this was an "ode." So it doesn't have to rhyme.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, Davey.

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had glog, and I've had egg nog.

I vote for egg nog.

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute poem :o). Merry Christmas!

3:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my....I was all agog reading this blog!
Wishing you and Wendy a very Merry Christmas and all the best in 2008.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great poem, Dave! I'm off to Google glog!

7:13 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

never heard of it...but i'd love to give it a try! by the way, your secret santa is wayyyyyyyyy more generous than any one i've ever had.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

LOL Dave!

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

LOL Dave!

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

With a name like "Big Dave", I bet your feet are Longfellows --- but you are not a poet --- just a really nice guy! MERRY CHRISTMAS, Dave!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

"Hi Dave," said she, rather sheepishly. Thanks for visiting my new spot.... but I didn't know it was public. I was just whining and am ashamed of myself. I really need to get serious about my oven and blog intelligently. Actually, I have a rather good blog (it is rated more highly than most on the reader education level), but it really is a secret. I don't want my family to read it. Check out http://blankityblog.blogspot.com--- then forgetaboutit.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Nankin said...

Dave, you've tagged with a drabble. Come over to my blog to find out what it is.

BTW, liked your blog about glogg.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Bev Mahone said...

Hope you had a nice glogg after you wrote that blog :)

8:52 PM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

Sounds like a lot of glogg to me.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I think I will stick with egg nog!!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Babette said...

I'd rather get a noogie
Than hear a boogie-woogie.
SirDarean told a big lugi.
Merry Christmas, Doogie.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home