Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Memorable Tuesday

On Tuesday an event transpired that restored my faith in the collective humanity of the United States. It was the end of a journey that started far across the country, the end result of a contest that had ordinary people like me riveted to the television or the internet.

It was the end of a journey that involved hope for the future, that involved trust in one another, where strangers from all walks of life connected in a bond with only one goal in mind. In the end, the team I was depending on and cheered for came in second. But on Tuesday, I felt like a winner.

On Tuesday, my fantasy football payout arrived in the mail. Yeah, baby, yeah. I was getting a little worried since the league commissioner had e-mailed me over two weeks ago promising to send my second place winnings to me. I had entered my fantasy team into this public league out of North Dakota, trusting them with my $10 entry fee even though I knew nobody else in the league. They were all strangers a thousand miles away.

So getting my pay-out was really special. I know, I know. There were other momentous events occurring on Tuesday. But this is better than change. This is a whole twenty bucks.

Isn't it wonderful how something like the internet can bring people together like this? I can reach out and touch someone a half a world away via my keyboard in the front room of my own house. I did that last week, offering condolences to a blogger in Israel on the death of her pet, and commenting on a picture posted by a blogger in Dubai.

I guess it is safe to trust people on the internet. I hope so because I'm still waiting for my hotel voucher for our upcoming trip to London in a couple weeks. I thought it was supposed to arrive by now, since it's been a while that I charged on my credit card over a thousand dollars for my trip package earlier this month.

It's an outfit that doesn't have a branch in the United States, so I was a little wary of doing business with them. But after Tuesday, I felt I could relax a little. You can trust those you do business with only on the internet.

13 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Just don't get a free Bulldog from a guy in Nigeria who just wants you to pay the small transportation cost.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I agree w/ jan Dave. Or some woman named Rose who is based in Japan-I personally have received 5 notices from her this week about all my winnings.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

I got one of those Nigeria scams emails and thought I'd have some fun with it. I actually did get an answer and kept telling them to send me the check for the money they kept mentioning. It was fun, but in the end, you're $20 richer than I am.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

JAN--I'm not too fond of bulldogs anyway. Maybe if they offered a cute little mutt.

CARINE--I just received an e-mail this week about an estate I was entitled to in Spain. Don't know how it got past my spam blockers.

FRED--I hope you didn't give them an address to send the check to. I saw a 60 Minutes episode on those scammers. They're not nice people.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Never game them a thing.

As far as your trip to London, I hope you have a great time. You guys will absolutely love it.

I worked in the Hanover Square area which is adjacent to Mayfair and Soho, so there were tons of pubs. My two hangouts were The Slug & Lettuce and Hogshead (Dering Street), both close to Hanover Square. They're not the smoke-filled type, but a bit more upscale. Don't miss the chance to seek out and have a few pints in a dingy, loud, stinky pub. It's all part of the experience.

If it works right, I put many of them on a Google map. You can see there's plenty of pubs here.

My expert advice? Don't really look for one, just stumble on a pub close to where you are, have a pint, then move on following the advice of the patrons or bartenders. You can't go wrong that way.

6:44 PM  
Blogger B.S. said...

Well, I still don't understand what fantasy football is, but it sounds to me as if you've doubled your money within a short period of time- not a bad deal in today's economy. Few financial advisors can make such a claim.

Hugs,
Betty

5:16 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave, don't fall for those scams....They will eat you alive.

Glad you doubled your money, now you will have a little extra to spend on you trip....lol..

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI DAVE.. Hope you have a jolly ole trip to the U.K. Here's a tip for ya.. The old lady who lives in the big mansion with all the guards hates unnanounced guests.
Call before you decide to drop in for TEA! LOL take care inyour travels ad congrats on your win!!
I Personally am routing for the Cardinals in the SUperbowl .. LIKE the underdog team!! :)

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget to report your profit's to Uncle Sam!!!

5:04 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

FRED--The Slug and Lettuce? Hogshead? Dont' they have some pub names over there with more appeal? Like Ales R Us or something like that?

BETTY--I'm actually not that lucky when it comjes to gambling. This is the first time I've won over $10 since I played bingo at a church event when I was just a kid.

LUCY--With the lousy exchange rate, I think my extra $20 will buy me a pint in a pub.

CAROLDEE--I'm not a big fan of tea anyway. It would be amazing if the Cardinals won. If they did, maybe it would inspire our hapless Lions to do better.

ENFORCER--I was hoping to re-invest some of my winnings in Vic's SuperBowl board. But he must still be sore about fantasy football cause I didn't hear from him this year.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Yes, the exchange rate is terrible...Last March, Bonnie went to Italy and she took $ 700.00 to American Express to exchange, she got back $ 400. and something in Euros......Our dollar is even worse now, I can't imagine what you are going to get.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, Blog, my board filled up faster than usual this year. Tougher economic times, people are more willing to gamble I guess. Use that money on a pint in Europe.

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you got your payout. Those kind of things make me nervous. Now I hope your hotel voucher arrives very soon.

Cas

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home