Monday, March 20, 2006

A Time To Dance

Unless you're fond of smoky saloons or clubs whose floors reverberate with the pounding of bass, it's difficult to find a decent place to cut a rug anymore. So Wendy and I have in the past taken advantage of our annual workplace party that offers dinner, cocktails and dancing.

This past weekend we joined my sister-in-law and her husband, as well as my older son Greg and his girlfriend, and headed out with our dancing shoes on.

But the dance floor is the perfect place to find out how much time has passed you by. I remember weddings from when I was a kid. And I played my accordion at a few more. Where was the chicken dance? Don't they do a conga line anymore? Does ANYONE even know how to do the Herr Schmidt?

Everything was techno hip hop played to an incessant, artifical beat. And, yes, people were dancing to it. More surprising, they were enjoying it! Something called the Cha Cha Slide has apparently replaced The Hokey Pokey.

Take it back now y'all.
One Hop This Time
One Hop This time


Wonder whether this new crowd favorite will stand the test of time, or just be another passing fad like the Macarena. I give wife Wendy credit for trying it out there. She gyrated alongside Greg and Lindsay who, having spent time at the dance clubs, could execute the choreography.

Then the missus could take no more. "Rock 'n Roll!" she yelled out finally.

"Okay," the DJ said smoothly, eager to please.

But even the old time rock 'n roll numbers played to something that resembled a disco beat. I asked another couple at our table if they were going to dance. The gentleman, who had just celebrated his 60th birthday, said he was waiting for a waltz.

Then I tracked down a work colleague to meet her fiance from Texas. They too were holding out, he said for "Cotton-Eyed Joe," so he could try out his two-step.

The night ended without Cotton-Eyed Joe. Or a waltz. Not even a polka. No line dance either, unless you count The Hustle. And we were among the last dozen hold-outs remaining as the DJ played on.

Among the last numbers we heard was something extraordinary, a piano interlude with string accompaniment that I might have heard once while watching a black-and-white film on Turner Classic Movies.

A lone couple glided across the empty dance floor, gracefully twirling and swaying in time. It seemed out of synch to watch that couple dance ballroom style through the laser-style lights and artificial fog.

Maybe it was kind of appropriate too.

12 Comments:

Blogger 4evergapeach said...

I can twist the night away to good old Rock 'n Roll! My husband likes good county and has taught me to do a decent two step, which I enjoy also. I've learned a few line dances over the years, but go dancing so seldom I usually have to relearn them each time. Really doesn't matter to me, I just love to dance! Can't even sit still in a chair. If I ever enter a dance-a-thon put your money on me, it's a sure bet!

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some people weren't meant to dance... I am one of those people. Were I too dance, I would either injure myself or those around me. I'm afraid I have to be content with head bobbing and/or finger/toe tapping.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waltzing to strings and piano - they saved the best for last!

Doing the Spartan shuffle here and it ain't pretty.

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Hussle. Wow, that brings back memories. Painful, angst-filled junior high memories...

6:33 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Do I detect the subtle tones of old father time rustlin' away there Dave.

3:54 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Herr Schmidt? Okay you got me there; I've never heard of that one. The "Cotton-Eyed Joe" is still alive and kickin' here. Guess which part I like the best! LOL.

11:04 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

Thank God I never learned the Macarena. My kid did though.

3:42 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

How cool!! Wish I'd been there! Paul and I are going to an oldies dance this weekend. These dances are sponsored from time to time by a local oldies radio station that plays music of the 60s and 70s! That is JUST my cup of tea!! I can't wait!

3:41 AM  
Blogger bornfool said...

I didn't dance much when I was younger, now I don't even attempt it. It's a conflict because my wife loves to dance. I've won the battle for now but my time is coming I'm afraid.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most of my dancing has always been more of a private thing at home. Besides hubster is 6'5 and I'm 5'2. It is pretty comical to even attempt it for us, let alone for those watching.

5:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made me smile. Bob and I love to dance, but are either surrounded by the young and their style of dancing or the oldies that live in retirement villages and have ballroom dancing lessons every Thursday night. I am not sure which intimidate us the most.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made me smile too, Dave. Great blog.
But....no polka, you say? What the heck kind of "dance" is that without a polka played? (My Polish ancestry is grieving)
There was a lot to be said for the Twist, the Stroll, a waltz, etc. But like good music of the past, I'm afraid good dancing is also obselete now.
Sign me,
Mourning The Past

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home