Saturday, January 28, 2006

Let's Go To Angelo's



We'll have coffee, sausage and hot buttered toast
Yes this breakfast is really the most
Oh, what a wonderful thing to do
Eggs over easy, hash browns and you.


We'll go to Angelo's . . .


Local guitarist Dick Siegel croons the above as part of a folksy tribute to the popular Ann Arbor landmark. The only time I saw Michigan head football coach Lloyd Carr in person he was enjoying breakfast at Angelo's among the many sports trophies and pictures there.

Carr was a bit smaller man that I had imagined him to be. Certainly, he didn't appear as intimidating as Michigan State fans must find him when he's prowling the sidelines during the annual U of M/MSU gridiron clash. I don't remember if Carr had eggs over easy, but my favorite Angelo's breakfast is the eggs benedict with the home-made, thick-sliced bread toasted just right.

I'm a breakfast hound. Keep your Japanese steakhouses, your Italian bistros, your seafood chowder houses . . . just cook me a fresh omelet on the weekends and I'll be fine. I've probably done toast and coffee at most diners and coney islands locally.

Another A2 breakfast fav is The Broken Egg on Main Street. It's a spot so wildly and lavishly decorated for holidays like Valentine's Day that you'd swear you were sitting in the display window at a Hallmark's. Plush toys and themed knick knacks hug every nook and cranny. Oversized skillets are their specialty.

My wife favors Big Boy's for their coffee and waffles. I like the fact that they have blackberry jam for my toast. The only other area restaurant I know to carry BBJ is the Cracker Barrel, a ten-mile drive east on I-94.

One local daybreak eatery I haven't broken bread at yet is the Fleetwood Diner. This hole-in-the-wall throwback to the 60s aptly features hippie hash--onions, feta cheese, broccoli and potatoes. When a second Fleetwood diner opened briefly near Ypsilanti, I grabbed my chance to try some.

One bad experience I can recall looking for my morning wake-up meal is when I strolled into a Denny's at going on seven in the morning. The hostess announced upon seating us that they were not serving breakfast yet. What?? No eggs over easy, hash browns and toast? We promptly left. I'm sure Dick Siegel would have too.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No breakfast at 7:00? That's criminal. You did the right thing, walking out.

Gotta go. I'm suddenly very hungry.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Feeling peckish here too Dave and it's only 9.30 PM.

3:31 AM  
Blogger bornfool said...

I thought Denny's seved breakfast 24 hours a day. Go figure.

6:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think oatmeal would be a better for breakfest for you.

6:30 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Denny's and no breakfast? Did the world end?

9:16 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

A friend of mine actually ran Denny's for many years and asked me to work there so I could help him run part of the organization.

I wound up staying where I was. Shortly thereafter, they started getting the discrimination lawsuits, which I most probably would have had to defend.

I'm glad I didn't go.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

My mouth is watering; umm, blackberry jam! I'm getting hungry now. LOL

We went to Denny's once. I wasn't too impressed.

I like the old-type diners where the waitesses call you "hon." Reminds me of my childhood.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Trucker Bob said...

Having eaten breakfast pretty well all over North America, the best I've ever had, and don't laugh, was the breakfast burritos I used to buy off a gut-cart. (Lunch wagon)

It was back when I was hauling loads of bananas off the dock in Long Beach CA.

Made as you ordered it, homemade salsa, stop, or I'm heading to LA.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mouth-watering post, Dave! Though I nearly lost my breakfast whilst reading the second paragraph.

The tragic SPARTAN loss to W. Ypsilanti (pulling within 2 points only to have Paul Davis' shot blocked and then missing that 3-pointer in the final minute!!) is beginning to fade from memory as we gear up for the SEAHAWKS' certain victory at the Super Bowl!

Shouldn't a Lions' fan post about beautiful Detroit, the Paris of the Midwest, this week? How I wish I could be there!!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Nankin said...

Okay, I'll bite? WHAT does Denny's serve at 7:00 AM if not breakfast? Cocktails and weenies?

5:41 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

I'm a breakfast hound too. I've even learned how to make real hashbrowns at home by grating a tater and frying it.

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bell's Diner on Stadium! And in case you didn't know: Currently, the weather in Ann Arbor: A 20 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 43. South wind between 15 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Barometer is 29.64 and steady.(It's weather report day. Thanks for coming by to say Hi to Bill!) And I never erased a comment from you Dave! Never would. :-)

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Going out for breakfast is my favorite thing to do. In our small town it is a social ritual. I like to sit in my favorite diner and watch the folks coming from church for coffee and late breakfast. There is a definite design to the clothing. I can tell what time the Baptists arrive, what time the Catholics arrive, and what time the Methodists arrive all by style. Of course we non-church goers have a style or non-style all of our own.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

You are making me hungry!!

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love coney island, breakfast there is amazing. If you hit one up you should get the mexican omelet its outstanding.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home