Saturday, January 07, 2006

Kevin Bacon I'm Not

The Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon is a game where contestants try to pair a given actor with Bacon by linking movies co-starring other actors that have played together in the same movie. For example, take John Wayne. He never starred with Kevin Bacon. But he was in The Way The West Was Won with Gregory Peck . . . who was in Cape Fear (the remake) with Robert DeNiro . . . who was in Falling in Love with Meryl Streep . . . who starred with Bacon in The River Wild.

Is that six degrees or less? Anyway, I decided to try the six degrees of Big Dave. I think there are about ten or so blogs that link to mine here (I just finally figured out how to reciprocate with my own links back). But could I take a random blog and link back to mine in six links or less? I thought I'd try. By the way, to start this you need a high speed computer, a generous portion of time, a dash of ego and a quart or so of curiosity.

There are a few blogs where I only lurk--never commented. One of these is RGB, a photoblog chronicling the idyllic adventures of a couple globe-trotting youngsters getting their feet wet in Australia. Wonderful pictures there. They have just a few links, which I gather are their friends. No links, direct or indirect, to Peter. Peter is a blogging buddy of mine from Australia who has a link to me. There is a link to HardLiquid, who says he is not going to be a "blog quitter like everyone else." He posted that in October and hasn't posted since.

From there, I can click on one of five links, which takes me to Skylar , probably not a blog you would want your young children stumbling across. Nevertheless, from there you can find Thighs Wide Shut, another blog that is a bit racy. By the way, I'm not trying to find the most libidinous route home. But now we're in the blog mainstream. Trucker Bob has a link to this site. Thighs Wide Shut has a gazillion links, but none back to Trucker Bob.

However, there is a link to You Can't Make It Up, another popular blog by a New Yorker. Sometimes I think every New Yorker has their own blog.

Okay, now we're on the home stretch. There are a number of ways to find Big Dave's Blog. There is a link to Blog Monkey, which seems to originate from the United Kingdom but eventually links through other sites to Trucker Bob (who links to me).

This way may be quicker, though. From You Can't Make It Up, click on Nichelle's Newsletter, which has a link to Blogs by Women. Although I was looking for the redoubtable Kenju there, I found instead Lois Lane.

Ah ha! Now I see at least two links back as Lois has links to Poop Happens and to Hoss. They both have links to me.

So how many degrees is that? About nine I'd say. Like I said, Kevin Bacon I'm not.

14 Comments:

Blogger bornfool said...

I've been wanting to do this for months now: to see how many links it takes to get from a random blog to me. Very nicely done.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an excellent idea! I'll have to try it myself soon.

Regarding Kevin Bacon, I can link myself to him in 4 steps. But I like linking to him in 5 steps because that way includes the Dalai Lama, and how cool is that??

5:01 PM  
Blogger Trucker Bob said...

As said by "bornfool", very nicely done Dave. Also a heartfelt thanks for the mention(s).

I guess it really is true what they say about you, that you are smarter than the average bear.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Great job, Dave. If you ever want to play the game on the web, it's here.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

That was cool!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Well worked out Dave, as Bob said, thanks for the mention in your steps.

12:56 AM  
Blogger Tracey said...

what a neat idea. Do you just go and pick a random blog somewhere to start?

6:42 AM  
Blogger Jude said...

That's really cool! I just may have to try that. Trucker Bob sent me, glad I got here!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Babette said...

Blog quitters are the absolute dregs, especially when they decide to start up again and don't know how to enable comments!

5:09 PM  
Blogger poopie said...

Sounds like a complete three sixty degrees to me! heh.

1:17 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:34 AM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

I'm nowhere in there! Where did I go??

You're cooler than Kevin Bacon.

3:36 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

Aw, I though I was one of your blog friends.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I followed all of this with delight and wonder and read a couple of other posts of yours and well, I am adding you to my favorites.

I did recognize Kenju and Peter...two of my favorites.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home