Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Pictures Missed and Taken

It feels so good to be home and finished with vacation! Ah, Michigan. No sooner did I get back this weekend and old man winter dumped ten inches of snow on my doorstep. I just LOVE shoveling snow.

Ok, sarcasm off. Actually, I miss Florida already, even though it wasn't as warm as I'd hoped. All I have are my memories and my pictures. Soon the memories will fade and as for my pictures . . . well, could have done better.




For example, check out the lady feeding the giraffe at Lion Country Safari. You could pay a couple bucks for a cracker to feed the big guy. I did that. My wife Wendy took a close-up shot of Mr. G. taking my cracker. But when we checked later, no picture. What happened? Who knows. So you'll just have to imagine my mug instead of the lady's in this photo.



At the Safari, you drive around and take pictures of the animals who can venture really close to your car. But the only animal who ventured near enough for a close-up was the ostrich pictured. I could almost hear the bird say, "I'm ready for my close-up, Mr DeMille." But neither Wendy nor I are any Cecil B. DeMille. So just imagine the ostrich's head atop his body here. *sigh*




When we took a hike on a boardwalk in the Everglades, some lady confided to me as we passed by, "There's a turtle on a baby alligator further down."

Oh, that sounded too cute. Pulitizer prize-winning photo for sure as I hurried along. But, no, I misunderstood. She said there's a turtle AND a baby alligator further down. I took a picture of the alligator anyway.


How about pictures of a seagull drinking a Coke? I found this bird trying to get what was left in this cup on the beach. Maybe I could sell it to the marketing firm for the soft drink giant. "Coke: the favorite of party animals everywhere."







Maybe. But there were other photos I wish I could have taken. At a wildlife viewing perch, I saw a sting ray leap vertically out of the water a good three feet. Never knew they could do that. But it happened too quickly for me to snap a picture.

Then there was the time on the beach when I was set upon by a flock of gulls determined to steal an ice cream cone I had just purchased. It was like a scene out of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds. I was practically nose to nose with one gull who hovered just in front of me.
If only I had a picture to prove it.



11 Comments:

Blogger Lynilu said...

Ha ha ha ha!! I don't think you were even there!!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

It sounds like a lovely vacation! No proof necessary.

The apocalypse is nigh, Dave: I cheered and cried over the U of M Sophomore Olympians who won the Silver Medal in Ice Dancing last night. I found my inner Wolverine. Somebody help me!!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LYNILU--*chuckle* Yeah, you don't see me in any of those pictures. Trust me, the animals are more interesting to look at.

BONNIE--Everyone finds their inner Wolverine sooner or later. How about ex-MSU goalie Ryan Miller's heroic performance in the USA hockey team's win over Canada? Those are the kinds of performances that get men kinda emotional.

6:42 AM  
Blogger CAROLDEE said...

Hope your back survived Dave.. that stuff was terrible.. I am still aching and I had a guy help me out. Moe today it just neverrrrrrr ends here. Love that seagull pic. I have fed giraffe's before and it is so weird.. their tongue freaked me the heck out!!!
Stay warm people who vacation FLA come home and get sick right away with a cold.. Hope you get lucky!!
: )

6:54 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

it sounds like, despite the less than ideal temps, you had a great time. sorry you had to come back to the wet, snow and cold

4:08 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CAROLDEE--I see more snow on the ground this morning. Maybe if I ignore it, it'll just melt or blow away.

CARINE--Yeah, hopefully the temperatures are better out your way. My nephew is flying out to LA for a week on Sunday. And he wants to go to the beach.

3:53 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Sorry it wasn't warmer for
your vacatio. Nice to watch the Olympics in Vancouver though.
I like Print bloopers too (except when I make them) It was supposed to be socks , not sucks. I fixed it.
I like the one you provided about the defective in Police farce.
Good one. Take care, my friend,
Regards, Merle.

4:40 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

No matter what, though, Dave - it's always nice to be home!

People will never learn not to litter, will they? I was wondering why that seagull was hiccupping for the other day...now I know why...a Coke overdose! I bet he was up all night! Perhaps Jonathan Livingston Seagull was a Coca Cola addict...that's why he could soar so high!

Great to have you back! Get that shovel out!

4:07 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

MERLE--I'm not a big fan of the winter Olympics but I found myself watching it a lot too. It's addictive.

LEE--It snowed again yesterday but my neighbor beat me to my walk. He has a snowblower and I don't. What's that line about relying on the kindness of neighbors?

10:16 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

Our record 11 inches of snow is gone, and I say good riddance. It just reminds me of one of the reasons I left Illinois.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Sometimes we come home with lots of pictures and other times I don't take a single picture.... Go figure... Glad you and Wendy had a good time.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home