Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I Love Fall



Fall has always been my favorite time of the year . . . relief from the oppressive heat and humidity of summer, the fragrance of aging fallen leaves, visits to local cider mills for fresh Michigan apples, my favorite holiday Halloween and of course football.


See the tree here in the picture? It's my "Go Blue!" tree in honor of my University of Michigan Wolverines beginning another fall campaign soon. This tree sits on a file cabinet at my place of work. Last year I won this little Christmas tree at our employee Christmas party so I've been re-decorating it each season. Now it's decorated for football season.


My tree doesn't go over too well with my boss (he's already moved it once). He's a Michigan State fan. His tackboard here at work has clippings from an early season upset that my Wolverines suffered almost a year ago. And the clippings are still there a year later as you can see in the picture below.


Since I'm a building fire marshal, I declared his tackboard to be in violation of the fire code--the old newspaper having become tinder dry to the point that it's an obvious incendiary hazard. He ignores my order to take it down. I've complained that I no longer feel safe working here. Still he refuses to take it down. My next step is OSHA, I guess.


Maybe if his Michigan State team does better this year he might at least replace some of these clippings with articles reporting on the success of the MSU Spartans. But I honestly don't see that happening.


Tonight is my family's fantasy football draft. Last season ended in controversy. I was in first place in our ten-team league at the end of the season, but my brother (he occasionally posts here as "the enforcer") who finished in last place and out of the play-offs, traded his top fantasy running back Ladainian Tomlinson to my youngest brother who then won first place in the play-offs. Always ganging up on me they are.


This year our family league commissioner has changed the trade rules to avoid a repeat of that. It helps that the commissioner is Scott, my youngest son. Heh, heh.


Yep, I just love fall.


17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GO BLUE I think that is poor taste to just keep that junk up there.Get something new and take it down. The tree is great.. SIS has a shrine and don't anyone even think about touching it!! ; )

6:02 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave, I love fall too, but we have to get past hurricane season before I can relax and enjoy the fall weather......If the fall weather ever gets here that is....

7:38 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I love fall-not much different than our summers! I think I'd love to visit your area Dave, just to actually see "fall" colors, I've heard they're beautiful.
Go Wolverines! My son's first soccer team were called that-the coach was also a wolverine's fan!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

I'll let you watch football for me. I love fall too, but because it's cooler to work in the yard. This 100+ degrees is getting to me.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

While the tree has a wonderful aesthetic quality about it, the newspaper seems strangely obscene. Don't you have quality control at your office?

9:23 AM  
Blogger Babette said...

No offense (pun fully intended after your loss to Utah today), but Christmas trees, like good SPARTANS, are everGREEN!

4:13 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Uh, Dave: Are you still alive, or did you finally commit hari kari? One and Done today -- again. So don't worry about your Fantasy League, not if you have any Wolverines on it!

5:31 PM  
Blogger B.S. said...

I'm just barely aware enough of football to realize that if you knew what city I lived in, you'd probably consider me a rival or an enemy or something of that nature! Just remember- I'm not a native- I hail from far away in upstate NY! Where I come from, we don't even know what football is!

But I know now. Go Bucks.

Hugs,
Betty

6:36 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

7 turns out to be an unlucky number, indeed!

I would ask for matches, but savoring those AA news articles assuages my anger, so thanks for that, Dave.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like your boss has a lot of sour grapes. And hey, you go guy...one little spark and everybody is unemployed! I'm with you...enforce that code. At least to the point of him removing the clippings.
Another great entry here!
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

7:19 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi Dave, fall sure is a nice time of year but then so is Spring... which we have just started here in Oz.
Would sure like to see those Fall colors some day, we don't get anywhere near as many here.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

D1 goes to FSU. D2 goes to USF. With my luck, D3 will wind up at UF. Imagine how college football season would be around here with those circumstances.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CAROLDEE--Unfortunately, now I think my boss will just replace the old clippings with new clippings of the Wolverines' latest loss yesterday. Deja blue.

LUCY--Sounds like Gustav was more hype and hot air than hurricane. But hopefully you live inland a piece.

CARINE--The fall colors are beautiful. It's hard to predict when they will hit their peak each year, however.

NANKIN--It's still 90 here in Michigan. Triple digit temperatures I could not handle, which is one reason I'd prefer to live up north here. Maybe I'd move south for the winter though.

JAN--Not much quality control so far as what people can post on their tackboards. I agree, there should be censorship.

BABETTE/YOGETTE--I suspected that U/M would not have a high power offense this year. Transitions can be tough. They say this could be the year that MSU actually finishes ABOVE the maize 'n blue in the conference standings, something that I hear hasn't happened in 40 years or so.

HOSS--Hea, I had Brady on my fantasy league team last year and almost won it all. Tried hard to get him this year but they picked him number four and I had pick seven.

BETTY--I do know what city you live in. See what a tolerant guy I am? But be careful about the "Go Bucks." I do have my limits.

TERRI--I think maybe if retirement were a couple years closer, I would.

PETER--I'll have to get some pictures of the fall colors here with my digital camera. I think my favorite is the maple tree in October.

FRED--I think it makes it more fun myself. My eldest son and I graduated from Central Michigan, my younger son attends MSU and we all have close ties to the U of M. We're bound to have one winner each weekend (this weekend's winner was CMU).

1:33 PM  
Blogger 2bme said...

I also love the fall, but not back to school for obvious reasons. or maybe not. I do love apples though and pears so this brings me much delight.

You Michigan folks sure know how to have fun or is it just you...

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Team Go. My team is the Dallas Cowboys, so that's different - but the sentiment is just about the same. I guess football is the nicest part of autumn.

Cas
"Go Blue!" - and I love your tree.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Kacey said...

My little boy (he is 49)started a new holiday in honor of fall and football and all those types of things. He sounds just like you. He has lots of people around here all hepped up about fall...and it is so close to you, too. I told him he better update his site, but he is probably too busy planning his Thanksgiving football game. (He actually paints yard markers in his front yard!) Check it out: http://unoseptembo.com/ Oh, you football types!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

SIMPLY ME--Not sure why you wouldn't like back to school. As parents, we were always looking forward to September. A busy kid is a happy kid (and makes for a happy parent).

CASSIE--My fantasy football quarterback is Tony Romo so I'm cheering for the Cowboys as well.

KACEY--I did check out his site. I was glad to see he didn't have anything there about Ohio State. If there's one bad thing about fall lately, it's them.

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home