Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Revenge Of The Blog

Not that long ago my wife and I were playing Scrabble. Early in the game I created a word, positioning my tiles in a way that made it nearly impossible for her to create a word of her own. When she noted this, I told her it was part of my defensive Scrabble-playing strategy.

"Yeah, well do it again and I quit," she retorted.

Nobody appreciates my competitiveness. Well, maybe they do. It makes them want to beat me all the more. I used to tell my wife that whenever we played board games with her family, we weren't playing Boggle, or Balderdash, or Scattergories. The game really was "Beat Dave."

Now during last year's fantasy football season, everybody "beat Dave." I came in last place. It motivated me all the more to do better this year in our family fantasy football league. We added a few new managers too--both of my brothers, as well as my 77-year-old dad.

With all these new managers, I'm determined that my "Revenge of the Blog" team finishes on top. I bought a $7 fantasy football strategy magazine at the store. I study it constantly. I purchased stat-tracker from Yahoo so I can be up on all the latest statistics.

I even created two more fantasy football teams just so that I could have the practice in conducting a live draft. My other teams are The Living Dead and Zombie Troopers, which prompted one of my opponents there to remark, "Hand me a wooden stake."

Last week I beat my brother, the Enforcer, who sometimes comments here. This week I face off against dad. He's totally new to fantasy football. He drafted for his team somebody who isn't even playing professional football this year. A friend of mine felt sorry for my father and said as his eldest son I should let him have my superstar quarterback, two-time SuperBowl MVP and former Michigan Wolverine Tom Brady.

Heck, no! Dad, you're going down, man. You're going down!

I did feel bad when I got an e-mail from him saying that after losing his first two games, he felt he needed some advice. I told him that I could give him some advice next week, AFTER I beat him. Until then, I said I would post a note here in my blog. If anybody out there has some fantasy football tips for my father, go ahead and post them in comments.

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I notice about Fantasy Football is that there is a lot of luck involved.(any given sunday). I don't think Dad need's any help, he can beat you on his own.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Dust-bunny said...

I'm not too familiar with fantasy football, but I do wish you luck! I haven't played Scrabble in years, but I was the reigning queen of Pictionary for a while. ;)

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I played fantasy football one season--my team made it the championship, then lost by one point. Heartbreaking. No comment on Brady or any of the others on that Patriot team.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daves Dad here.
I just read your blog Dave,
you better check out my new players. My being a mister nice guy days are over.
Dad

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got some advice for Grandpa. Cleveland gave up 6 touchdown passes last week. It might be a good idea to play your reciever that goes against them this week, Jerry Porter. I would bench Coles and play Porter, but thats just me.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Having one's own fantasy football team is one way of ensuring that it never loses! ;)

Don't we all play board games to win????? ;)

And cards?

4:06 PM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

Geez, your own Dad? I used to beat this guy twice per season nearly every year he joins my fantasy league, and this year I left a few guys on the bench for the first game and he won.

Being a winner means being a nice guy sometimes. The rest of the time it means winning. Remember The Curse of Bo and what it did to MEEECHEEEGAN.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

Dave,I'm not much for football, fantasy or otherwise-I'm a former soccer mom. But I do wish you luck and then some.
I haven't played scrabble in years-I may be techically challenged, but my vocabulary sometimes scares people! LOL

6:37 PM  
Blogger 2bme said...

Dave - Are you retired?? It seems that you have a lovely and good amount of time to uhhh Play. I'm jealous. I've never heard of fantasy football but since I'm not into sports that doesn't surprise me.
Well, Good luck anyway. (I'm kind of cheering for your dad a bit).
Now this is my last blog for the morning for I really have to leave for work.
Cheerio....

4:26 AM  
Blogger Spicy said...

Dave,
I love Scrabble and Scattergories..yes I am very competitive. Just show up with your money to play bacggammon and prepare to get whipped. But fantasy football? I'll bet a guy came up with that one.
And since you're bragging Dave...I'll put my money on dad! Just let me know when I win.

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't take any advice from Gabe Tackle. He got smoked last week! From a 2-time champion, my opinions: 1. Don't underestimate home field advantage.

2. Never listen to the experts. If you know football, go with your gut.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Dave, I've put up a recipe for a very simple mango-chilli sauce/chutney in the comments of my "Italian Invasion" post, in reply to your comment. I hope you enjoy it. :)

4:25 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

Hi Dave --- I know nothing about Fantasy Football, but I love Literati (Yahoo's online Scrabble). I'll meet you there sometime and whip your young butt. Tell Wendy it is for the honor of womanhood. Have pity on your Dad---you have to at least give him the rules, before you cream him! Have a great weekend --- I'm going to be dancing at my grandson's wedding.

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmmm.....not a practicing betting woman here, but if I were, my money would be on dad :0).....sorry Big Brother

5:37 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Well Dave, I'm pulling for Dad too. Sorry buddy! If I were the Enforcer, I would help dad out and whallop Big Dave.

10:12 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Golly gee whiz. I think the University of Michigan needs Tom Brady more than you do.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

Hoss rocks the Big House with his comment!!

6:27 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Yes, Dave, you're quick on the draw. I just got home from watching the game with the Penn State faithful, who were dismayed, but not too surprised. Your number 20 is quite the player, and the freshman quarterback did himself proud.

I told my friend before the game started that I hoped Morelli would play better than he did last week, and he didn't, so congratulations on your win.

But then, Michigan State is 4-0. It will be interesting to see what they do in the long run.

5:10 PM  
Blogger poopie said...

Oh yeah..I just LOVE playing with people like you. *not*

10:03 AM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

Michigan won again!! Notre Dame is 0-4 for the first time in 119 year history! Dogs are cohabitating with cats, the world is upside down!

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daves Dad here, I would like to thank all my fans who backed me up, but as you know, Dave won,but now I get to play those people in South Dakota, should be no problem.
Dad

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daves Dad here, I would like to thank all my fans who backed me up, but as you know, Dave won,but now I get to play those people in South Dakota, should be no problem.
Dad

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad told me he was going to start Favre,your lucky he didn't!

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home