Thursday, July 19, 2007

Eight Random Facts

My blogging buddy Kacey tagged me to write a blog regarding eight random facts or habits of myself. I don’t think I’m that interesting, but I thought, “What the heck?” So . . .

1. I have collected video game tokens for at least 20 years. I have 165 currently, including tokens from arcades in the Wisconsin Dells, Aspen Colorado, the Mall of America, Knotts Berry Farm, Ohare Airport in Chicago and the 1982 Worlds Fair in Knoxville, Tennessee.

2. My favorite place to travel to is Disneyworld in Orlando. I’ve been there seven times.

3. No habits worth mentioning but I am quirky. For example, I will not ever have a blog title longer than 25 characters because I do not want my blog titles to “wrap” to a second line in the sidebar here.

4. My favorite lunch going through the high school cafeteria line was a sloppy joe and two potatoes (two scoops of mashed potatoes). Mmmmmmmmmm. I'll bet I ordered that four days a week. Still brings back fond memories.

5. Over 30 years ago, I won a United Press International (UPI) Michigan Newspaper Award of excellence for covering a plane crash in upstate Michigan. I can still picture the twisted, mangled bodies from that wreckage three decades later. No wonder I haven’t flown in over 25 years.

6. I was “Google-bombed” once. Before I became a blogger, I was a frequent poster in various political and discussion forums. Once, I wrote a book review regarding a text on a controversial figure. Somebody wrote a reply, saying I was “dead wrong” and it somehow appeared on hundreds of websites, many having nothing to do with the subject. It was weird seeing that I was “dead wrong” on a site developed to push through the nomination of a particular Supreme Court justice.

7. Also in my previous internet life, one of the founders of the on-line encyclopedia Wikipedia tried to track me down to find out who I was (I never post under my real full name, which really carries through to this blog when you think about it.) But though I may be Big Dave, I can still lie low. Lay low? Anyhow, I hid. He never found out who I was.

8. When I was a mere child in elementary school, I “married” my grade school sweetheart under the branches of an expansive Christmas tree in our front yard. Don’t know who performed the ceremony. Don’t remember what vows were spoken. In fact, I really don’t have much recollection of it at all. But my mother likes to tell the story.

I believe I was supposed to “tag” others to do this, but just about every blogger I know already has been tagged. I never was good at tag anyway (guess that makes it nine random facts now).

13 Comments:

Blogger bornfool said...

Just dropped by to say, "Hi." Hi.
Hope all is well with you and yours.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post. Now I know you better. Whomever you are.

11:44 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Yeah, tag was a bummer. You had to be fast, and I weren't. No sirree. Hated it.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Dust-bunny said...

That's horrible about witnessing that plane crash wreckage. I imagine I would have a problem with flying also. Just the fact that you've driven to Orlando seven times is a feat in itself!

I, too, love Disneyworld and have been going there since I was a child. I've been there at least seven times, and also went to Disneyland about five times. The last time I went meant the most...I had my whole Brady Bunch family with me, something I thought we'd never do together (someone we knew who worked in the park gave us six park-hoppers for $25 each--we were down visiting my dad in his nursing home and weren't planning on going there).

BTW, I think I have a Chuck E. Cheese token somewhere if you want it. ;)

4:39 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I too witnessed and covered a plane crash Dave-the San Diego one in 1978. I can still smell the burning flesh. I think that's why I'm definitely a white knuckle flyer.
nice column.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Now, that's a great insight into "Big Dave"! Do tell us more! :)

3:37 AM  
Blogger Spicy said...

Wonderful post! You married in elementary school? And It lasted?? Congratulations! That's unique!

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your newspaper award!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Babette said...

What are your political leanings, Dave? Have I been wrong to assume that only liberals dwell in Ann Arbor?

My dad called himself a William F. Buckley conservative and I always enjoyed watching PBS Fireline with him.

He was a SPARTAN when MSU was MSC!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

You are such a nice guy Dave! I came over here and read this a couple of days ago, but wasn't signed into my Google blogger, so I couldn't comment. I think Matty took your elementary wedding the wrong way. --- I want to know if Wendy knows that you are a bigamist?
You didn't think you were interesting, but we do --- especially the part about counting the letters in your blog titles --- only a man would realize something like that--- now I will be too aware of my titles! Dang!
And lastly, I have given thought to your "lie or lay low" problem. If lie means to rest or recline and lay means to put or place --- would you be lounging about in hiding or placing youself in hiding? I thought I had a pretty good handle on grammar (my dad was an English teacher), but you have stumped me! Score Michigan-1, Ohio -0!

5:36 PM  
Blogger "The Captain" said...

staying Anonymous is a good idea. I wish I hadn't used my real name for my blog.
jeff

1:58 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave ( or whatever your name it), I like collecting refrigator magnets. My frig is covered with them.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Nankin said...

I bet we could all come up with 8 things about ourselves that no one else knows.

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home