Friday, July 01, 2005

Wit and Wittier (Witier?)

As part of the annual evaluation process here at work, I’m required to write a “self-evaluation.” So after I told my supervisor I would be writing mine today, I asked him if there were one “L” or two in “brilliant.” My colleague overheard this and replied, “There are three “L”s but they’re not consecutive.”

Never fails. Somebody tries to be witty, and someone else tries his own snappy comeback. I remember in college seeing some graffiti scrawled on a library desk. It said, “Be back in an hour. ---Godot.” So someone else wrote underneath, “While I’m waiting, I think I’ll write a play. Now what should be the title?”

So I thought I would try it myself. Somewhere else, someone had scrawled, “Short people are the last to be rained on.” So underneath I wrote, “But they’re the first to be lost in the flood.” Well, I thought it was a good comeback anyway.

Yesterday, I saw someone wearing a t-shirt that just screamed for a snappy comeback of some kind. It read, “Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups.” Not sure if it was meant to be a political statement, but I suppose on the back of the shirt it could have read, “Voat!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home