Thursday, May 07, 2020

Signs Of The Times






       I took pictures of the above signs during a couple bike rides around the neighborhood.  The local fire station always has their mascot dalmatian statue dressed appropriately, whether in red for Christmas or green for St. Patrick's Day.  Now he wears a mask.  I believe local citizens added the hearts sprouting from the lawn.

       It's been almost two months since Michigan declared a lockdown and quarantine fatigue is beginning to set in.  Even in the week since I took the picture directly above of the honor mini-library mounted on a post along a local street, somebody tore off the tape.  I imagine you're able to "borrow" a book now.  Though the park sign restricts use of its benches, I took a walk today through the neighborhood park and found two benches occupied by sitters.  And though take-out is the rule at local restaurants, I got take-out from one this past week and saw two diners at the counter, apparently enjoying their breakfast and coffee.

     I don't think this bodes well, particularly since we've not had enough warm days in Michigan to trigger a good bout of spring fever.    And, like our governor says often, we're not out of the woods yet.  Methinks it's going to be a long summer.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

We must apply common sense...err on the side of caution...for the good of everyone, not only our own self.

I'm fortunate in that I don't have any family...I'm always in "self-isolation"...I'm pretty much a hermit, by choice...all the time; not just during this current, troubling time. There is just me...and my two furry mates, who are also hermits...indoor cats, just like me! :)

I know it is very difficult for those with loved ones they're are unable to see...to hug etc. And for those who have lost jobs and businesses...times are hard...hopefully, very soon this all will pass and we will come out the other end all the better...and ready to fire!

Take care, Dave...my best wishes to your and your loved ones :)

7:33 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LEE--So true. I believe stopping this epidemic comes down to personal responsibility. If we all act with caution and care, then it will be over soon. If not . . .

I'm sure your cats provide you with enough companionship there. They say all the animals shelters have been emptied by those seeking furry companions of their own.

Just stay safe and take care.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

Things here in AZ are slowly and cautiously opening up. Steve and Adam are still on furlough though. Can't use the gym/pool and certainly NO classes. I'm enjoying the telemed appts-at my breakfast table and no one cares that I'm in my night shirt.
We did enjoy a "parking lot party" at our favorite breakfast place. Very well organized and they even provided live music! We just brought our card table and folding chairs. Hating the masks, but that's just the new norm.

2:49 PM  
Blogger dellgirl said...

A lot of people are frustrated with the new restrictions and rules. I'm content to follow the guidelines to insure health and safety for myself, my family, and for others. I pray this will all be over sooner rather than later.

Wishing you a Happy and Safe Sunday!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--Some restaurants in northern Michigan will be able to open soon. We broke quarantine this past weekend to visit our grandchildren in St. Louis. Traffic was a little lighter than usual but still a lot of cars on the road.

DELLGIRL--We're careful to follow the guidelines too. We wear our masks diligently inside any business, regardless of whether others are wearing masks or not. I too hope and pray this will be over sooner than later.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home