Friday, April 17, 2020

Grocery Shopping--A New Normal

   
  Time to mask up and move out.

     Never thought I'd hear the above said anywhere but in a superhero movie. But it's our new normal here in Michigan if we're going to the grocery store. We've cut down on the number of visits we've made to the local supermarket with all this virus stuff, but every time we go there's a new wrinkle.

     They've reduced the hours they're open a couple times, which I learned the hard way after arriving at 7 a.m. to find the doors locked. They also closed off one of the entrances. We can no longer use cash when we self check out. And the number of self check-out stations has been reduced to manage social distancing. You just have to hope that you're not behind someone whose cart has a mountain of groceries as people stock up. You also have to hope that that shelves are stocked with everything you need. Chances are they won't be.

     My wife's sister has gone to ordering groceries on-line. It sounded worth trying so my wife looked up our local grocery store's website. She browsed through electronic page after page, surprised at how many different wines our store stocked. You can type in a specific item however. I typed in “toilet paper” and got one hit, “Paper Chef Parchment Bags.” No picture either (“Image coming soon”). I don't think I want to order something like that sight unseen. When I typed in “ramen noodles” the first entry on their list was “Cheating Gourmet Shrimp Bowls, Spicy Ramen Noodles.” Hmmmmm, maybe getting your groceries on-line here is more of an adventure than going in person.

     A little farther out of town is a Wal-Mart, where you have to stand in line six feet apart as a Wal-Mart employee counts off the number of people entering the store, stopping us in line if there's a bottleneck of people trying to get carts. Again, with the number of checkouts limited if you want to get out quickly, you shop expeditiously.

     Here in Michigan, stores like Wal-Mart are not supposed to be selling non-essential items. But there's confusion over what that means. One Wal-Mart even had crime scene tape surrounding infant car seats. That made national news. I felt somewhat criminal buying a few small toys to reward my grandkids for completing their educational exercises which we help with since schools are closed.

     It's rather strange in fact what's considered essential in Michigan. Alcohol, marijuana, lottery tickets are all considered essential and are in abundant supply. Flowers, paint and lumber are considered non-essential in some quarters. So forget the gardening and repair work you could have done on your house, unless you're like my brother who kept his tomato seeds from last year and has several nice plants growing indoors ready to be transplanted outdoors.

      After seeing his fledgling tomatoes, I even dug around where my tomato plant grew last year hoping to find its seeds but didn't find any.

     What about printer ink? Is that considered essential? I rushed over to the the printer ink aisle at Wal-Mart, grabbed a packet and joined my wife shopping in another part of the store. That was the most expensive item we bought that day at $48 but I thought it important since I can print out learning worksheets I find on-line as well as the governor's latest executive orders.

     When I got home, my heart sank. I had grabbed the printer packet with the number 65. But my printer takes only the refill marked 64. Arggghhhhh! Under normal circumstances, this would be remedied with a quick return and exchange. But with the new normal some stores are restricting returns or not accepting them at all right now. Not sure if that includes our Wal-Mart but I guess we'll find out when we're ready for our next shopping adventure.

     P.S.  Not sure why the type font went all funky on me, despite multiple efforts to fix it.  Maybe part of the new blogging normal.

10 Comments:

Blogger Curmudgeon said...

Dave's Dad here, Dave it is about the same here, we shop at Meijer's, I din't notice if self check out was for cards only, I paid with cash at the check out, if it would of been for cards only, I would of been out of luck, may have to get one someday, wear your mask

11:42 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CURMUDGEON--My mask just came in the mail today so we'll have it when we venture out to get groceries tomorrow. I haven't paid cash for anything in weeks. I think I still can use cash at Wal-Mart. We'll find out tomorrow if they'll take my printer cartridge back.

4:07 PM  
Blogger dellgirl said...

I'm glad the "Mister" doesn't mind grocery shopping, he's always done most of it anyway. I'm a homebody, never did like crowds. So, I can't imagine standing in long lines to buy groceries.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

DELLGIRL--I don't mind either though I bring a cell phone just in case I'm confused about something on the list. I often have to call to clarify.

6:14 PM  
Blogger dellgirl said...

OOOhhh Yeaaa, don't forget the call-backs. Even with the detailed list I give him, he calls back anywhere from two to four times more. Really now?!?!?!

I can't complain though, it keeps me from having to do it. LOLLL

7:35 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Our local supermarket always opens at 7 am...and I always go shopping early (in readiness to entertain the fellow-shoppers!).

If I'm running a bit later than usual the staff always ask me "where the hell have you been?"...always done jokingly with smiles, of course. They're a good mob.

My normal routines having changed. I only ever go grocery shopping once a week, anyway. The things have have changed...are the empty shelves. So much stock is missing.

People, on the whole, are being pretty good...and abiding by the current rules set down...they are for our own good.

Take good care, Dave...I wish you and your family well. :)

8:46 PM  
Blogger CAROLDEE said...

Hey Dave..glad you are okay in this virus nightmare. The shopping thing got real easy when I decided to go to a smaller store. We have a Family Fare and can buy most items in there NO restrictions and then I went SMALLER..The tiny (compared to others), Save a lot store does have a selection and will let you buy multiple items of lots of things. Sister and I went in right after they opened up. That was not easy for me 8:30..eyes blurry, I filled the cart full..NOT intending to go back. So took three trips from the car into my place but I got it done. We noticed that they take money and cards and I had to wipe down a cart but it was worth it. General dollar next door gave me opportunity to get other items and then we saw the ACE hardware was open. Happy..sis bought plants. YES indeed. We were back home in less than 2 hours. Masks are a real deal. I think we will be wearing them for a long time. I am not taking any chances. I find myself now dreaming of shopping like the old days.. YOU KNOW.. JANUARY!! Pray you both stay well.. I will too.. :-)

7:21 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

DELLGIRL--My wife might complain a little if I get something wrong, but just a little.

LEE--One plus with the shelves being empty is that we do more cooking and baking from scratch. My wife made a baked a loaf of bread this morning. Can't butcher our own meats though and rumor has it that could get scarcer.

CAROLDEE--Your ACE hardware is open? I think our's is just for curbside pick-up. Things keep changing. I hear now that the garden section at Lowe's is open. It was closed last week. But you still can't buy paint in the store. You have to order that on-line and pick up at the store.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I left a comment here the other day-but I guess it didn't work.
Surprisingly, I wrote about a very similar thing this week! Must be at the top of what is on all our minds, no?

1:06 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--Grocery shopping is pretty much all there's left to travel for, at least for us. Nothing else is open.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home