Thursday, May 28, 2020

Becoming A Teacher

     After a couple months where we've attempted to keep our grandboys on track with their schooling, I've come to a conclusion: teachers and schools should be considered essential and every effort made to keep schools open and running.

      We only watch the three grandboys once a week but since that is ordinarily a school day I thought we should include some education. They have been assigned homework packets by their school so when the grandboys arrived this week, I asked Luke, 7, if he did his homework.

     “Why do you guys always ask me first?” he demanded to know. I wondered whom I was being included with. Or whom he was including with himself? Did his real teacher ask him that too before confronting his classmates? I wonder how a real teacher would respond to a question like that.

     Anyway, first up reading. Not Owen, 3, but his older brothers Luke and Grant, 9. Grant said he didn't like to read out loud. Then Luke said he wanted to read quietly himself. Okay, but in order to make sure they were actually reading the material I said I would quiz them afterwards. “I'm not very good at remembering what I read,” Luke confessed. Hmmmm. What would a real teacher do in that case.

    I've tried various games and exercises to keep it interesting. We had a contest where if they got an answer wrong on an answer exercise sheet I printed from an on-line educational site, they had to pay a penance. With Luke, that meant doing some sit-ups. Combining phys ed and academics. Smart move, I thought, until his three-year-old brother saw him in a vulnerable position doing his exercises and piled on top of him, initiating a wrestling match.

    We tried art too. I had the boys decorate a “Thank you” card for their cousin, a doctor who faces corona-virus in North Carolina. We decorated the card with rainbows, stickers, emojis and hearts, even putting a mask on a miniature doctor. Then I wondered what Luke was trying to draw himself next to the doctor.

     “A dead person,” he said. I guess I can understand how a kid would lump doctors, the corona-virus and dead people together but as I told him, doctors really want you to get better. They don't want to see you dead. I'm sure their cousin wouldn't want to see a dead person on his thank you card. Luke seem unconvinced. Again, I wondered what a real teacher would say in this case.

     Of course, we watch videos too. When we found a video that I thought might be entertaining as well as enlightening, Luke complained when I said the movie was made in Australia. “They probably speak Spanish or something,” he griped. 

     Even when they watch their own cartoons, I try to find a teachable moment. We watched one cartoon where this larva would fall in love with a mayfly only to see the mayfly die at the end of the day. I told Grant that, indeed, a mayfly only lives for a day. “Why? Is it their heart?” he asked.
Ummmmm, does a real teacher ever say, “I don't know?”

     I know the boys' parents are struggling as well though. My son Greg says they often Google lesson topics before teaching them to the boys. What is a possessive pronoun anyway? Then when he scolded his oldest son Grant to spell his words correctly and to look them up if he didn't know the correct spelling, Grant complained, “This will take forever.”

     It just seems that way for all of us, Grant. Hopefully it will be just until we conquer this virus. Or until teachers are considered essential. Either way, I hope it's soon.

8 Comments:

Blogger dellgirl said...

Excuse me for laughing, but you made this so funny. LOL...Good luck to you with your teaching adventure, I wish you (all) well.

I WAS a real teacher, but every since Grandson Jace, has been born I have not been able to "teach" him much of anything (especially educational stuff) ... He KNOWS EVERYTHING!!! Siiigghhh

Wishing you all the best, Stay Safe!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

DELLGIRL--You have to try to find humor in anything you can these days. You know first hand too from a teacher's standpoint and a grandparents' standpoint how hard education is these days.

Stay well, stay safe.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Food for thought, Dave re home schooling. Not having had children of my own, and no grand-kiddies, I'm of no help! :)

Everything is so different these days..and for older generations to understand the ways of the younger ones is something we need to go to school to learn! lol

All the best! :)

Tell the little bloke we talk "Strine" down here (look it up on Google!) Hehehehehe!




9:27 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LEE--I'll have to Google "Strine" myself as it's not a term I've heard. The grandboys are quiet proficient on computers and tablets so maybe I'll make it a project to Google that and see what they find out.

Thanks for stopping by and stay healthy, stay safe.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

Dave, I was a pre-school teacher for a LOT of years and you could only imagine some of the things that came out of the mouths of those kids!
You have to laugh or you cry.
Adam is taking the job of teaching the younger grands quite seriously-set of a board, looking for various activities and has them on a schedule. While Sarah and her ex have decided zoom and getting the work done is enough. Adam has been helping his nephews as well. School's now out until Aug. but Adam is still having school hours. He figures those kids need something now that it's even too hot to let them run around the back yard.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--Kudos to Adam. We haven't given up yet but I'm not planning on giving ourselves a pat on the back for our contribution to home schooling. If only we could improve their penmanship. I'm assuming they still teach that.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Curmudgeon said...

Dave! you should know when the grand kids ask a question that is way out, you say"ask your dad that one" hee, hee thats what i did, really tho you should never ask a kid a question cause they will come up with some good omens....Dad

4:16 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CURMUDGEON--Yeah, I should do that more (and some questions having to do with more adult biology I do tell them to ask their parents). Mainly, I'm trying to lighten the load.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home