Friday, September 13, 2019

Canadian Road Signs

I've been delinquent in posting here. I guess I can blame some of it on travels lately since we wanted to take advantage of the weather to put more miles on our mini-van before the weather turns colder in Michigan.

Something I've always wanted to do was circle Lake Huron too. Just drive up north, over the Mackinac Bridge, cross over to Ontario, Canada, at Sault Ste Marie and drive through Ontario, circling back to cross the Detroit River before heading home.

Maybe I'm getting old, but it turned out to be more of a challenge driving in Canada than last time which was over five years ago (I think). For one, our trusty Garmin wayfinder doesn't work that side of the border. Neither does our smart phone. It didn't help that our Ontario map was 18 years old. We paid for that mistake spending extra time trying to navigate a newly built highway that didn't even exist on the map we had.

Perhaps better signage would have helped. We passed a big sign stating “Large vehicles need more room”, something that I would file under common sense regardless of the country. But informing drivers of the highway number they were on wasn't considered critical since we saw no such identification signage for 20 miles. Another sign we passed read, “Can't See? Don't Pass.” Maybe I'm being snarky, but if someone can't see, should they even be driving?

We encountered another sign while pulling into one of their service areas along the expressway. In the United States they're called rest areas or service plazas or travel plazas. In Canada, they're called On-Routes. A very informative name, right? If I asked you what you would expect to find at an “On-Route”, what would it be. Makes me wonder who came up with that for a place that sells gas and sundry items a traveler might need.

Anyway, as I exited onto the On-Route a sign warned us “Slow.” No speed limit listed, just slow. Then just feet farther down the road a second sign warned us, “Dead slow.” How much slower is dead slow from just slow? Was I expected to kill the engine and push the car? I can see me trying to explain to a Canadian Mountie, “I thought I was going dead slow.” He responds, “You were going slow, but just not dead slow.”

My wife who was looking forward to seeing wildlife this trip became excited when she saw signs that warned Moose “next 24 km.” So we kept our eyes peeled for the next 15 miles or so. No moose. Then farther on down the road another Moose warning sign. Again for 24 km. In fact EVERY moose sign we encountered traveling in this part of Canada had the tag “next 24 km.”
Never mind that we never saw one moose. Why the 24 kilometer distance every time? Did they just save money by ordering multiple copies of identical signage? Was there an agreement between Canadians and moose for them to move into wildlife refuges of 24 square kilometers?


At least we didn't encounter this moose sign which I've heard also can be found in Canada. I can't imagine the panic that would have ensued if we'd seen this while traveling with our young grandchildren.
But we did see this sign.
I've seen pedestrian crossings for children, or rather signs warning that children may be playing in the area. I didn't realize that the presence of seniors required a similar warning. We saw that sign near our hotel in Huntsville, Ontario. For the record, I didn't see any seniors near the sign. But I'm not good at guessing folks' ages either.

If I felt a little defensive at me and my fellow seniors being called out on a road sign warning, I probably would have felt more defensive if I'd seen this one.
Maybe we need to stop stereotyping elderly pedestrians. I don't think I would take as much offense at a sign like the following.


7 Comments:

Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

Glad to hear you and Wendy have been having fun adventures! I think it's a hoot about the Senior sign.
Your past month is way better than what Steve and I have been going through. I'm so ready for 2019 to leave and make way for what I'm really, really hoping will be a good 2020.
Have more fun and report about it. I love hearing some positive stories about those of us in our 60's enjoying life to it's fullest, even if the roads are a bit difficult to maneuver!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--Thanks. Hope you got a chuckle out of our escapades. Next time I go to Canada I'm going to make sure we bring a better map.

2:29 PM  
Blogger dellgirl said...

It's good you enjoyed your adventure even with all the navigational challenges. Your insights on the signs had me chuckling a bit.

Thanks for the reminder about OLD maps, although we're not going anywhere soon.

Wishing you a Happy Sunday!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Curmudgeon said...

Dave! I liked the signs you put on, but the two with the elderly people, I was wondering witch one refers to me, I like the one with the man wooping it up with the cane in the air...Dad

4:16 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

DELLGIRL--Seems like you can use U.S. signs forever because they really don't build any more roads. They were building a big highway right through Canada. Neat to see, but hard to find on our map.

CURMUDGEON--I think you'd be the guy whooping it up with the cane too. But you wouldn't think he'd be doing it on the street.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Seeing they couldn't spell "en route' correctly, perhaps the signs were intended to alert you a "Mouse" was present! :)

6:47 PM  
Blogger Big Dave said...

LEE--I guess their point was that this way station was "On the route", meaning that you didn't have to get off the expressway. Still . . .

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home