Sunday, June 30, 2019

The Downside of Retirement

    After over five years of retirement, I’ve come to the conclusion that being retired is truly great, but it’s too bad that it has to come with all the side effects of old age.  I bruise more easily, have more difficulty seeing though I just got new glasses, even my teeth seem to bother me more (my dentist put a crown on one just a couple weeks ago).

      And it’s mental too.  I only have five grandchildren but just ONCE I’d like to call one by the right name.  I don’t remember ever having problems calling people by their correct names when I was working.

     And that’s just one symptom of my fractured memory as I call it.  It’s like there’s a break in my consciousness when I’m trying to recall something that a few seconds ago was so clearly there.  And now it’s so clearly gone when I try to recall what it was.

     So many times I’ve gone upstairs or downstairs to fetch something, but once I’m there I get distracted by something else—distractions are the bane of a fractured memory—and then I return without what I originally went upstairs or downstairs for.  That especially frustrates my wife who often makes those fetching requests of me since her knee has sapped her mobility, another side effect of old age.

    Though my ambulating joints function fine right now, I’ve been troubled by an aching shoulder the past several weeks.  It seemed to start the day we watched my youngest grandson Owen who insisted on being carried downstairs from his nap.  He’s over two and a half now and capable of getting downstairs on his own but I spoil him.

     Except that a few weeks ago I stumbled on the last step while carrying him downstairs and toppled over.  Owen bumped his head on a door going down but I got it worse, landing on both knees then falling over, wrenching my shoulder.  I still wonder today if I should have it x-rayed.
-
     When Owen’s dad picked him up, Owen told his dad he got a little boo boo on his head, then angrily looked at me and said, “Grandpa did it!”

      *sigh*

     Now, since it’s summer, we watch Owen’s two older brothers along with the little guy on occasion.  This past week we took them to an indoor water park.  I was just happy to wade around, watching the kids play but they grandboys insisted I join them going down the waterslide.  It’s not the biggest, but it did look rather fast.  Since I wasn’t feeling particularly restricted by any aches or pains, I took the plunge, pun intended.

     Somewhere along the way down, I felt a twinge of pain.  Now my shoulder is bothering me again.  Maybe that’s what happens when you try things thinking you’re younger than your body knows you are.  If it forces me eventually to see the doctor I’m going to flat out tell him, “The grandkids did it!”

8 Comments:

Blogger dellgirl said...

Your last four words have me LAUGHING-OUT-LOUD over here..."The grandkids did it!"...that's a good one! I agree with you on the downside of retirement. You made some great points.

If I leave the living room to go get something from the bedroom, I have to put that something on the floor in the doorway as soon as I enter the bedroom...before I get distracted by something else.

Thanks for sharing these thoughts. I can relate.

I hope the doctor's visit goes well and you get to feeling better soon.

Wishing you all the best! Have a good week.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

DELLGIRL--Glad I brought you a smile. I hope we have a good week but the car broke down today so that's not a good start. I do have a doctors' appointment this week (not for my shoulder though) so I hope that goes well.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave's Dad here, Dave the up side of retirement is,you walk into a room, forgot what you came in for, spot your easy chair,sit down, take a nap, life is good

4:14 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

In many areas this is a familiar tale you tell, Dave.

My hips insist on being disagreeable. I use a walking stick. I don't care if it's not a fashionable look. I prefer to be fashionably upright, than unfashionably crash to the ground. I do not want to fall. Other than my two furry mates as my roomies, I live alone. If I fell, no one would know.

The joys of getting older...some are not at all joyful! :)

Take good care...stay upright...and let the littlies carry you down the stairs! On second thoughts, that's not such a great idea! :)

5:49 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

DAD--My easy chair gets plenty of use but it seems like we're always having to prepare for kids and grandkids coming and going. Wendy says we need to go to the store today to pick up something for when the grandkids come tomorrow. I forgot what it was we needed though.

LEE--Little Owen now walks himself down the stairs after his nap. That works for me. Even without Owen, sometimes I'm unsteady on my feet and I recall from the TV show Judge Judy that one secret to a long life is not falling.

4:45 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

Dave, I have the same slips of the memory going on! For me, an avid crossword puzzle person, I see a clue and it's as if something in my brain goes "poof, answer's gone". I'd have known the answer if the clue hadn't asked me about it.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--Good thing I don't do crossword puzzles. Sudoku is something I'm pretty good at. On the computer I like to play FreeCell. Neither requires that much memory. Heck, hardly any.

10:53 AM  
Blogger dellgirl said...

Hey Dave. I'm just stopping back by to thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog. I appreciate that a lot.

I'm glad the Awesome Cleaner worked for you. Thank you for letting me know.

PS- Free Cell is my game of choice. It doesn't require ANY brain work AT ALL. I just click, click, click and let the cards fall where they may. LOLL

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home