Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Why Can't I Be Happy!




Fall is my happy time. The wonderfully crisp air, the scent of fallen leaves, visiting the local cider mill and buying honeycrisp apples, the arrival of my favorite holiday on October 31st . . . and, of course, lots of football. And that has been going well of late. My Michigan Wolverines have turned it around after starting out with two losses, the Detroit Lions have been winning for a change, but most of all, my Revenge of the Blog fantasy football team is in first place in our ten-team family league.

Ah, life is good.

Not everyone appreciates my joy. I believe my wife Wendy thinks I spend too much time hunkered down over my computer checking the latest sports updates. I strongly suspect that some of my fellow managers in the league think I spend too much time scanning the sports columns as well, as if I could find something better to do with my time.

For them, there is a new book on the market, "Why Fantasy Football Matters: (And Our Lives Do Not)." The husband of actress Elizabeth Banks, who appeared in the movie The 40-Year Old Virgin, co-authored the book. Hmmmmm, and Christmas is coming soon. Gift idea! Elizabeth (see picture) herself is a big fantasy football fan. Wonder if she'd want to join our league next year. We haven't invited women in before but . . .

Anyway, true, I tend to "smacktalk" the other managers about my success on our league bulletin board. But what's the harm in a little ribbing between friends or relatives? Heck, I've been doing the same to my Spartan blogging buddy Bonnie for years now. She's okay with it. And I'll probably be delivering a new ribbing come this weekend after my Michigan Wolverines demolish her Michigan State Spartans there at East Lansing.

At least I'm not like my dad who threatens his fantasy football opponents with being cut out of the will. Maybe that's why he's currently a respectable sixth place. Not bad for a rookie manager.

When I'm not studying the weekly NFL stats, I'm contructing a giant Michael Jackson dummy for my Halloween yard display. I stripped some branches from a tree I cut down to form the skeleton. Then I put some old clothes on it, as well as a pull-over Michael Jackson head. It's not ready for prime time, but in the dark it might pass for a seven-foot Michael Jackson.

I'll report back later on the big dummy. Until then, happy halloween!

16 Comments:

Blogger Babette said...

I didn't know Reformation Day was your favorite holiday, Dave! We finally agree on something!

Here is a proverb you will never learn at that second-rate university in Ann Arbor: Pride goeth before a fall.

GO SPARTANS!!

9:07 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

Can't really say I understand the sports thing and fantasy football advantages, but my hubby can!
I'm with Wendy on this one Dave!

8:31 AM  
Blogger 2bme said...

Heeellllooo Dave - Autumn is also my absolute favorite season ever. I went pumpkin pickin with my Pal Lisa (dust bunny) and what a hoot we had.

Let's talk apples since I definite can tell you I can't talk football. Honey Crisp is my new found love. The Macoun use to be my favorite and is still hanging in there. But that sweet, crispy, juicy Honey Crisp - Now there is an APPLE.

Fall seems to be prolonged here in New York. Enjoy and really you are the funniest.

12:38 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Seven feet is way too big for even a mock-up Michael Jackson. There'd be no room in the bed for his playmates.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Dust-bunny said...

I don't have the slightest idea about football, but I do have a very frightening Michael Jackson mask up in my attic that my son wore one year. What's frightening about it is that it looks exactly like him...they didn't exaggerate a thing!

Would love to see a picture of your "tree" version!!

4:47 PM  
Blogger Trucker Bob said...

Damn Dave, I saw that picture and I thought you had something tittilating to tell us. But no matter, what you did write was great!

5:58 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

I'm in full agreement with inviting selected women into your fantasy world (football or other) Dave, we need to get more equality into the sexes subject.... the women are gettin' too far in front.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bonnie must be especially proud of how the Spartans did in that exhibition game with Grand Valley State. At the moment she is hovering at my place and withholding comment until at least halftime. Probably writing poetry.

Why do I think you and Rich would have much to converse about?

10:14 AM  
Blogger Kacey said...

Hey-hey-hey! Just got done watching Ohio State whip Wisconsin and Michigan is ahead of Michigan State---hope they can hang on for you, Dave. Two weeks from now we will see who is happy or unhappy. I'm sure hoping that it is not I. Do you have any U of M band music on your computer? If not, I have two of their best and would send it to you on e-mail --- I also have "We don't give a d*mn for the whole State of Michigan" as sung by the Ohio State Band. Both bands are super! Wish I could see your Michael Jackson dummy --- can we throw darts at it?

1:30 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

I can smell burning couches all the way from Seattle.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Spicy said...

Oh no...Dave...if you have a huge Michael Jackson in your yard,,,the poor little kids will have nightmare's and their mommies will be coming to your door asking for trips to wonderland!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Spicy said...

Oh...and spartan apples' are my favorite eating apples.

8:38 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Big Dave ~ It's not FALL... it's FOOTBALL! ~ jb///

4:39 AM  
Blogger MSU gal said...

As i said in my post. I am having dinner with a bunch of Wolverines today. I highly doubt I will be able to choke it all down!

Congratulations Big Dave
**teeth clenched**

6:14 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

A seven-foot MJ? Now that's scary! Hehe!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

You know Dave, we all have things that make us happy. Don't let other people decide what makes you happy. I wonder, what makes Wendy happy? Does she like to cook, sew, do craft things?

I love the fall too, it is my favorite time of year. I love the cooler weather, and my body just says "yippie".....

Enjoy life Dave.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home