Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I Do Believe In Ghosts

Savannah, Georgia is reputedly the most haunted city in America. That's where my wife Wendy and I are going on vacation next week. My parents had passed through Savannah on a senior's tour about a year ago and recommended we visit there. (Never been).

So as I was doing my travel research I discovered Savannah's haunted reputation. The city was also the subject of a best-selling novel, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I don't know about you but I think that is one spine-chilling title.

Anyway, I discovered that some of the local historic inns are listed under Savannah haunts. Well, what better way to enjoy this ghostly city than to stay in a haunted hotel, especially in October just before Halloween. Right? So I made reservations for at an inn which has been haunted for some time by a ghost named Hank.

Doing a little more research, I came across this passage from a book, "Ghosts from the Coast." It describes an encounter with Hank at the Inn:

"I was standing in our room one night when the door handle inches away from my waist began to turn. My heart began going a mile a minute. I snatched that door open for whoever--but the hall was empty.

The next morning my wife was on the bed putting on her pumps when she suddenly jumped up, face white, "Russ, someone is sitting on this bed with me!"

I could see no one, but she was sure someone was there.

Is Hank the restless spirit at the Inn? No one knows, but guests write surprising notes and leave them there for the staff."

I copied that passage and e-mailed it to Wendy. Her response? "I don't believe in ghosts."

Now what fun is it to stay in a haunted house unless you believe it's really haunted. Maybe Hank will help to change Wendy's mind.

Hank, if you're reading this . . .

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I LOVE Savannah! I've been there a few times, but sorry to say...never encountered a ghost. Darn!
You'll love the Riverwalk along the water...great Mint Julips at one of the places there. All of the squares are SO pretty!
I've read the Garden of Good and Evil (and saw the movie) and once I took my book with me there and got it autographed by Emma (the singer at the club) Mandy, who does a tour of her home there and a few others that were all written about in the book.
It's a mystical, beautiful, city. Have a great time and I sure hope you encounter Hank! Come back and tell us all about it. I'll see you next week from Paris.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Spicy said...

How exciting! You really are a romantic at heart! And how very brave of you. I wonder if you will hear any strange noises late at night when you turn out the lights?
Maybe Wendy will be a believer after this. you never know. I do believe in ghosts or spirits.

Hope you have a wonderful time. I'm anxious to hear all about Savannah Georgia.

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am SO jealous! I wish I could go. And that Wendy--here you thought you knew her. Humph.

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love Savannah! It's really a great place to visit. And Charleston, SC is just as much fun.

Have a great vacation!

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are scared of anything, it should be this weeks fantasy matchup.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I think Savannah would be so interesting to visit...and beautiful. I loved both the book and movie, "Midnight In the Garden of Good and Evil".

You will have a wonderful time during your visit to Savannah, I'm sure. Enjoy its ambience. Read the book before you go, if you can fit in the time...

4:04 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave, I have seen a few specials on the travel channel about ghosts in hotels...It sounds rather fun! Have a good vacation....

5:00 PM  
Blogger 2bme said...

You are so lucky and I am soooo jealous. I would love to go to Savannah. My nephew now lives in Georgia and not far from it, he just raves about it.
On the travel channel they did a special on haunted houses in Savannah for Halloween one time, it was creepy but great.
I don't think I would like to stay in a haunted hotel. I believe in Ghosts and don't want to hang out with them on vacation.
....oh but am I looking forward to hearing all about your trip...

Have a Ghostly Great time...

6:54 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

this sounds like my kind of place Dave! Hope the entire trip is this exciting for you and your wife. don't forget to get some kind of ectoplasm for a souvenir!

5:40 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

I believe I saw the ghost of Duffy Dougherty yesterday.

Beating Ypsi must have felt great, Dave. Sorry that I had to cheer for Eastern but my mum's an alum.

10:52 AM  
Blogger GageGeek said...

Lived in Savannah. Nice town. Be sure to take in Mrs. Wilke's Boarding House on Jones St. They have a great lunch (boarding house style). Take in Tybee Island too.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Dust-bunny said...

I'm with Simply Me on this one. I'd be awake all night waiting for Hank to jump on my bed (or worse yet, to grab my feet from under it)!

Have fun, and be sure to tell us all about it!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi Dave, here I am just back from holidays and now you are going on yours, hope you enjoy as much as I did.

6:35 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Big Dave ~ It is getting to be about the time fro RESTLESS SPIRITS isn't it? ~ jb///

8:29 AM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

Cool advventure. I have seen that show, Most Haunted? It visits places that are supposedly haunted. Going to stay at an actual haunted hotel is at the top of my list of things I want to do!!

Get Hank to do the head spin if you see him!!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

When you get through with Georgia, trot on over to San Antonio and stay at the Menger hotel; not only is it haunted, it's across from the Alamo, another hot spot for ghosts. Have fun!

2:34 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

I'm gonna have to stop in Savannah sometime --- not for the ghosts, but for the ambience. (I might have to take my AMBIEN with me)

2:19 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

What Hank is bitched about is that his real name is Henry.

10:46 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

Great book...even better movie. I bet I could find a SugarDaddy ghost over in Savannah too...hmmm.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

Sorry I had to cheer for Purdue this week, but my son-in-law's an alumnus.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave, glad you are back. I want to hear about the ghosts....Did you see any?

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home